Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Secret Chiefs 3

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Never heard it? Its wonderful. Gorgeous, velvety and syrupy sonics too, especially considering its release date. I still prefer the Bungle albums over the SC3 stuff for the most part. I guess its akin to preferring the Beatles over Wings
    The 'list of great albums Ian's never heard' haunts my dreams.

I would go further and say California is beyond great its a masterwork

I never heard Secret Chiefs 3, but I've heard the three Mr. Bungle albums and have "California," which is excellent! So... what's the connection?

Trey Spruance and Trevor Dunn are from Bungle.

^
    Thanks!

I guess I should chime in...

First off, all members of Mr. Bungle (except Theo) have recorded with SC3. It's always Trey running the ship. Danny played drums on a few recent tours. The other guys haven't played live in the band in a long time (Mike's never played live - only recorded that one song).

Second, I should use this opportunity to promote a string of SC3 and SC3 related shows in NYC in a couple weeks at the Stone - from July 14th-19th. I've personally been learning about 3 hours of *new* music for these sets (including the whole next Zorn album). More info at:

http://thestonenyc.com/calendar.php

No advance tickets, you gotta wait in line, seats are very limited. It's more of a "advance screening" or "tech rehearsal" of new works than a traditional SC3 concert experience, but I'm looking forward to getting this material out there.

We are also gonna be at this years RIO fest in France, and maybe do a very short tour in the region before that.

- Matt

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Looking forward to seeing you guys at RIO, that Sunday line up with Alec K Redfearn & the Eyesores, Happy Family, & SC3 is going to be epic.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

you guys are killin me, what I'd give to see an SC3 show.

Quote Originally Posted by Lebofsky View Post
    a string of SC3 and SC3 related shows in NYC in a couple weeks at the Stone - from July 14th-19th. I've personally been learning about 3 hours of *new* music for these sets (including the whole next Zorn album).
    No advance tickets, you gotta wait in line, seats are very limited. It's more of a "advance screening" or "tech rehearsal" of new works than a traditional SC3 concert experience,
    - Matt
    man the program looks amazing

7/14 TUESDAY:
    8 pm
    l’OEillère
    Nicolas Gardrat (guitar)
    Selections from Secret Chiefs 3 songbook by this French/Belgian acoustic guitar autodidact.

10 pm
    Cleric
    Matt Hollenberg (guitar) Nick Shellenberger (vocals, keyboards) Dan Kennedy (bass) Larry Kwartowitz (drums)
    “Phyllotaxis” (Spruance tessellation piece.)

7/15 WEDNESDAY:
    8 pm
    SC3: UR
    Trey Spruance (guitar) Matt Lebofsky (keyboards) Toby Driver (bass) Jason Schimmel (guitar) Ches Smith (drums)
    Supra-sensory surf music.

10 pm
    SC3: Ishraqiyun Tasbih Ensemble
    Matt Lebofsky (keyboards) Shanir Blumenkranz (gimbre, oud) Kenny Grohowski (drum elements) Matt Hollenberg (guitar) Larry Kwartowitz (drum elements) Ches Smith (conga, drum elements) Toby Driver (bass) Trey Spruance (conducting, kinnor when appropriate)
    Polyhedral relations in rhythm and tonality. Three duos around a keyboard in interactive tessellations pieces “Perichoresis”, “Phyllotaxis” and others.

7/16 THURSDAY:
    8 pm
    Jason Schimmel Trio
    Jason Schimmel (guitar) Shanir Blumenkranz (bass) Kenny Grohowski (drums)
    Arrangements of SC3 music for jazz trio.

10 pm
    Secret Chiefs 3 plays selections from Masada Book III, The Book Beriah
    Eyvind Kang (violin) Matt Lebofsky (keyboards) Shanir Blumenkranz (bass, oud) Ches Smith (mallets, percussion) Kenny Grohowski (drums) Jason Schimmel (guitar) Trey Spruance (baritone guitar)
    WORLD PREMIERE! A whole new set of Zorn compositions!

7/17 FRIDAY:
    8 pm
    SC3: FORMS: Salon/Fantasia
    Trey Spruance (conducting, keyboards) Eyvind Kang (violin) Jessika Kenney (voice) Matt Lebofsky (keyboards) Toby Driver (bass, keyboards) Ches Smith (mallets, percussion) Jason Schimmel (piano, keyboards, guitar) Ryan Parish (flute) Kenny Grohowski (percussion)
    Presenting new chamber music live ensemble format (Salon/Fantasia) familiar from recorded pieces like "Scorched Earth Saturnalia". Probably the finest ensemble ever assembled for SC3 in a concert almost entirely made up of of world premiers.

10 pm
    Secret Chiefs 3 Plays John Zorn’s Masada Book II, Xaphan
    Trey Spruance (guitar) Eyvind Kang (violin) Jason Schimmel (guitar) Matt Lebofsky (keyboards) Toby Driver (bass) Ches Smith (drums)
    Xaphan featuring Eyvind Kang!

7/18 SATURDAY:
    8 pm
    SC3: ISHRAQIYUN
    Trey Spruance (saz, microtonal guitar, kinnor) Eyvind Kang (violin) Jessika Kenney (voice) Matt Lebofsky (keyboards) Ryan Parish (kaval) Toby Driver (bass, keyboards) Kenny Grohowski (drums)
    Re-invigoration of SC3 staple ensemble, diving more profoundly into the cosmological overlaps with Kang and Kenney. Debuting Spruance and Kang compositions, and performing “Her Sword II” by Jessika Kenney.

10 pm
    NT Fan
    Trey Spruance (Tonband, guitardead, non) Kang (violint, all) with guest Jessika Kenney (shapeshifting)
    The Black Hole that SC3 came out of. Proto power electronics and irreducible mega glitch; first gig in 20 years!

7/19 SUNDAY:
    3 pm
    JOHN ZORN’S BAGATELLES: Craig Taborn Solo and Trio
    Craig Taborn (piano) Thomas Morgan (bass) Gerald Cleaver (drums)
    This concert will begin with a brief discussion between Craig Taborn and John Zorn—followed by a solo piano set and a Trio set.

8 pm
    SC3: FORMS: Mausolée Mécanique — Funerary Rites
    Trey Spruance (keyboard, guitar) Eyvind Kang (violin) Jessika Kenney (voice) Matt Lebofsky (keyboards) Ches Smith (mallets, percussion) Toby Driver (bass, keyboards) Kenny Grohowski (drums) Jason Schimmel (piano, keyboards, guitar)
    Post-environmental-catastrophe haunting of the wooden machines at the Theatron Animatronique. New compositions added to repertoire! Familiar miniature touring ensemble is here expanded well beyond previous limitations, so listeners might better appreciate these angelic/spectral laments, explosive fireworks displays and automatic pipe organ dirges set in motion by the golems and totems from the mechanical age.

10 pm
    Secret Chiefs 3 plays selections from Masada Book III, The Book Beriah
    Eyvind Kang (violin) Matt Lebofsky (keyboards) Shanir Blumenkranz (bass, oud) Ches Smith (mallets, percussion) Kenny Grohowski (drums) Jason Schimmel (guitar) Trey Spruance (baritone guitar)
    Second ever concert of these new Zorn compositions, last chance to hear it before we record it!

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Indeed. And these are the first SC3 gigs for quite a long time without Timb Harris (violin, trumpet, second guitar). While Trey is the only "official" member of SC3 - he assembles essentially a different band for each recorded track and tour, based on what players he needs and who can do it - Timb has been a constant for years.

I'm always struck by how some of us seem to forget that we actually have members of major contemporary progressive bands in here with us -SC3, Keneally, Thinking Plague, Guapo, Knifeworld and many more.

I used to love this place, and when the time is right I still do.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Indeed. And these are the first SC3 gigs for quite a long time without Timb Harris (violin, trumpet, second guitar). While Trey is the only "official" member of SC3 - he assembles essentially a different band for each recorded track and tour, based on what players he needs and who can do it - Timb has been a constant for years.

wowo Timb is absent ??
    Man that guy is incredible
    is this permanent his playing his sound and stage persona is essential

wowo Timb is absent ??
    Man that guy is incredible
    is this permanent his playing his sound and stage persona is essential
    I don't know, although Matt would. He probably just couldn't do it. And Eyvind is a pretty good replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    DVD? That sounds cool! I'll have to look into that.
    If it's Live at the Great American Music Hall we are talking about, you should take care!

Although some here call the DVD excellent or superb, I find it pretty crappy. The footage is dark and kind of blurry, so that it's hard to see what's going on.
    Musically it may be good - I can't tell because I've never had the patience to watch more than a few minutes here and there. And I've tried, quite a few times!
    If I had known how it was beforehand, I would have spent my money on one or two CDs instead.

In general, The Stone and their programming is amazing!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by aplodon View Post
    If it's Live at the Great American Music Hall we are talking about, you should take care!

Although some here call the DVD excellent or superb, I find it pretty crappy. The footage is dark and kind of blurry, so that it's hard to see what's going on.
    Musically it may be good - I can't tell because I've never had the patience to watch more than a few minutes here and there. And I've tried, quite a few times!
    If I had known how it was beforehand, I would have spent my money on one or two CDs instead.
    True the visuals and lightings could be better but hey its the music that we are after and
    The performance is stellar and the sound is excellent
    So for me One of the very best dvd's I own

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    True the visuals and lightings could be better but hey its the music that we are after and
    Yes, I agree, I actually don't mind the visuals, I love the performance, it's one of the best dvd's I own.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Yes, I agree, I actually don't mind the visuals, I love the performance, it's one of the best dvd's I own.
    Well, I would never call a DVD excellent or superb (or even good or decent) if the footage is bad.
    The visuals is an important part of a DVD, as I see it, and must be included in the judgement.
    Otherwise it might as well have been a CD. (And as such, it might well have been excellent or superb.)
    Anyway, to those who plan on buying the DVD: be warned.