Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: This is the end of the word YES (to me, the OP)

This is the end of the word YES (to me, the OP)

I know it's sad . It is hard to admit .
    But this is the end of the word Yes . I think the band should put an end to the name YES and maybe, if they wanted to continue the tour already planned, should use their surnames followed by An Evening with Yes music ... tribute to Chris Squire , involving maybe Jon Anderson and Bill Bruford (I know he retired but for this occasion could make an exception ) or Patrick Moraz .
    It was beautiful, but now the world YES has collapsed , and live only in the music that gave to the universe .
    Now it is time to cry

chalkpie
    I don't agree (not that it matters). With this thinking, they should've stopped using the name on 'Drama', no?

.....actually the door for Jon Anderson's return has just opened a bit more.

If there's one thing I've learned as a YES fan: I wouldn't count on or count out anything with YES.

There are still two living, unretired original members not currently in the band. And while it seems highly unlikely that he'd return, there's Rabin. I know. But again, never count anything out when it comes to this band.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Agreed! Even on the ABWH tour it felt the most integral part was missing!

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    To quote Rick Wakeman (iirc) from the Yesspeaks DVD:
    "There will always be a Yes."

Whatever the remaining Yes members choose to do, it's well within their rights to do so and none of my business. Just like its my choice to support it, or not.

From now on, when someone asks me if I like pizza, I'm simply going to nod my head.

It really would be odd seeing a band called Yes without Chris in it. Like Fripp missing from KC. Just doesnt work. For me it doesnt.

A: Cruise to the Edge will continue.
    B: Cruise to the Edge features a band named Yes.
    C: The band that headlines CttE is named Yes.

QED.

I understand the notion of a band carrying on without any founding member and keeping a tradition or identity. I'm not sure how I feel about it.
    One of my favorite bands is the french progressive band Ange. It has existed for 45 years. Its singer and spiritual leader Christian Decamps has been the only original member for twenty years. He has said multiple times that he would like the band carry on after his death. (By the way, his son is in the band and is a singer too.) He sees "Ange" as an entity that has its own life and deserves to live on and on. Chris Squire has made some similar statements about Yes. Well, if these people say such things, who am I to disagree ? These two bands have had many line-ups changes and yet have a strong identity with a sense of spirituality and passion. They have their own mythology.

That being said, I'm not sure how I feel about this. Certain people seem to be irreplaceable. Ange without Christian Decamps would feel very strange, even though I know the other members are great musicians who are true to the spirit of the band. I like the idea of a band name being laid to rest and the other members launching a new entity. I don't see any necessity for a band name to be embodied in an actual band forever. I'm a big Pink Floyd fan, and I'm glad Pink Floyd is over.

The loss of Chris Squire definitely implies the end for Yes. However, the current line-up is obliged to issue a farewell album.

The band have already booked dates into 2016 (they have already announced touring “Drama” in Europe next year). Those dates were just announced a couple of weeks ago and they most likely knew Chris’s situation was terminal when the dates were booked, based on the type of Leukemia Chris had. Of course they also have the Yes / Toto co-headlining tour booked for later in the summer. All of the evidence appears that they will carry on as Yes with the current lineup (plus Billy Sherwood). Whether this is right or wrong will be debated here, but it certainly appears there will still be a Yes this time next year.

Circa plus Howe and Anderson.

Would it be okay to call that YES?
    The Prog Corner

Whether Yes continues or not, it's really up to each individual to decide whether this is Yes or not. For me, there was a little Yes in 2000/2001 with the Masterwerks and Magnification tour. Since then not so much...
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Why do people continue to think that Yes is one person or another?

This band has had one of the most unstable lineups as any band in history. And yet, they've soldiered on, made great music and not-so-great music, and will continue as long as the people associated with the band want to carry on.

Jon Anderson left, and people screamed "NO JON, NO YES!" as if that meant anything. They've since been proven to be fools, as they've now made 3 albums and toured endlessly without their sacred hero.

Squire seems to have been open to the idea of Yes continuing without him - if only the fans were as open-minded.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Jon Anderson left, and people screamed "NO JON, NO YES!" as if that meant anything. They've since been proven to be fools, as they've now made 3 albums and toured endlessly without their sacred hero.
    Three albums? Fly From Here, Heaven And Earth... and?

So how would you "Yes should hang up their capes" folks feel about Jon Anderson and Wakeman suddenly rejoining the band along with Howe, Sherwood, and White? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Three albums? Fly From Here, Heaven And Earth... and?
    Drama
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Drama
    Ah. Of course.

Why do people continue to think that Yes is one person or another?

This band has had one of the most unstable lineups as any band in history. And yet, they've soldiered on, made great music and not-so-great music, and will continue as long as the people associated with the band want to carry on.

Squire seems to have been open to the idea of Yes continuing without him - if only the fans were as open-minded.
    Open minded? It's certainly not that. It's my taste buds... my prerogative. Go ahead and put a circus chimp in there and keep touring. I still wouldnt go to the show even if that chimp was a mother on spoons.

I would like to see YES continue as long as they can. If Squire had said "No me no YES" that would be a different story. But he clearly seemed open to them moving on.

It was a very sad weekend. It finally really hit me when I watched a TV news report that someone posted a little while ago. He has always been such a hero and inspiration to me. I also feel very bad for his wife and young daughter, I wish them the best.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    It will be what it will be. Whether or not a band called Yes continues to play or record, or they wind up naming themselves like a legal firm, we all know the score. People have been saying Yes should hang it up (in name or as a band) for so long that I am surprised anyone has the energy to keep barking up that tree.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    Open minded? It's certainly not that. It's my taste buds... my prerogative. Go ahead and put a circus chimp in there and keep touring. I still wouldnt go to the show even if that chimp was a mother on spoons.
    If you're dismissing them without hearing them, then yes, it's certainly not being open-minded. That has nothing to do with taste - it's willful disregard.

Trevor Rabin needs to return to the nest, while Steve Howe and Alan White should retire. Then YES will be back again to their normal playing speed and style.

My lineup bet: Davison-Rabin-Sherwood-Downes-Schellen
    My prediction for 2017: 35th Anniversary 90125 tour