Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Favorite Chris Squire moments

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Don't Go is a great fun song. I don't get the hate it provokes.
    I get the hate. I just don't share it. IMO "Don't Go" would have fit in nicely on Jon's Animation album. It has that same 80s pop lightness to it, which I think for many is inappropriate for Yes.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    I had kinda forgotten about this Conspiracy track, but it's a good'un: http://youtu.be/tfocSqVhaCM

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Gonna be predictable and say Roundabout. That's got to be in the Top 5 basslines of all time, right there with Green Onions, Money, and Locomotive Breath. Made me a Prog fan.
    I'll go farther. I think the kick-in of Roundabout is the peak achievement of the rock rhythm section. The most perfect, unexpected and satisfying sound drums and bass can make together. It's so powerful, yet so precise, so intense yet so laid back and suave. Virtuosic yet natural. Elegant, bracing, innovative, energizing, uplifting. I've covered it in bands, heard it on the radio countless times and never tired of that moment.

It's a studio construct of course, and never sounds as compelling live. But that just serves as a reminder that we still need great musicians to get together with great producers and make great records.

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    My favorite Squire moment was in the late 90s at a theater in Boston. He started playing his famous bass break near the beginning of HEART OF THE SUNRISE and a young man obviously on some sort of mind bending drug ran onto the stage and sat/cowered in front of Squire's amp stack. Squire walked over to him while playing, sustained a note and shook the guys hand, not missing a beat, and continued playing like it was no big deal! Some stage hands gently helped the guy off the stage.

A truly awesome moment and showed how much class the big guy had.
    I was at that show and was thinking the same thing as a great Squire moment. He could have gone all diva on the guy but he handled it like the seasoned pro he was and made it almost a fun moment.

Quote Originally Posted by grandinq View Post
    I was at that show and was thinking the same thing as a great Squire moment. He could have gone all diva on the guy but he handled it like the seasoned pro he was and made it almost a fun moment.
    The guy is lucky he didn't approach the stage from the other side!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    I had kinda forgotten about this Conspiracy track, but it's a good'un: http://youtu.be/tfocSqVhaCM
    "The Lonesome Trail" is a nice rocker, but the version played live on the Chris Squire Experiment tour was far superior to the Conspiracy version IMO. Like a lot of Billy's production work, I feel like it came out somewhat flabby, over-worked and lacking focus. The live version was really tasty, with a crunchier drive and sharper edge to it.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

I always like the big kick he did after the 3rd "Sharp Distance" in HOTS. He looked like he had a blast doing it too.

The only weakness I've had with Magnification is that awful intro "Deeper" to In The Presence Of.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Another vote for "Don't Go." I also like "Circus of Heaven," "State of Play" and "Lightning Strikes."
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Actually, "Onward" was a beautiful song. If no one was going to buy the Yes version, some pop diva should have done their own version of it, watch it chart, and let Squire roll in royalties from it.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Remembered another thing I always loved:

How Squire would quote things, like how he played the "Day Tripper" bass line in Yes' cover of "Every Little Thing," or how he quoted Bernstein's "America" in Yes' cover of Simon & Garfunkel's "America." I always thought that was so cool.
    Scott,that is Peter Banks playing Day Tripper on his guitar. Chris is fading out his bass down to nothing at that point so he can come slamming back in to shake your room or car. A great example of Dynamics there.

Quote Originally Posted by tormato View Post
    By all of my standard "music I like" metrics, I should hate "Don't Go", but I will tap my toe and sing along if it pops up in my iPod, it is a goofy, fun song.
    Perfectly said, and I agree 100%. I also prefer the Symphonic Live version.

NP: Yes Going for the One

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    Scott,that is Peter Banks playing Day Tripper on his guitar. Chris is fading out his bass down to nothing at that point so he can come slamming back in to shake your room or car. A great example of Dynamics there.
    How 'bout that.

Well, either way, I always thought that was cool.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

There are so many to pick from. I am partial to I'm Running. I was lucky enough to be at one of the four shows where they played it.

this one has some vintage, rollicking CS trademark bass:

The bridge is nice, but otherwise I'd say 'Don't Go' is perhaps the lowest point in Yes' recorded history- sounds like a relic from the 80s. I also remember the thoroughly awkward 'grooving' to that track on the Yes Symphonic DVD by people in the orchestra, bless them!

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    I also like "Circus of Heaven," "State of Play" and "Lightning Strikes."
    Only one of these I can stomach is 'Lightning Strikes'. I think the thumping 'beats' all over this track detract from an otherwise well written and executed song.

RE; Conspiracy. I do like 'Violet Purple Rose'. Actually that album in general is quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    The bridge is nice, but otherwise I'd say 'Don't Go' is perhaps the lowest point in Yes' recorded history- sounds like a relic from the 80s. I also remember the thoroughly awkward 'grooving' to that track on the Yes Symphonic DVD by people in the orchestra, bless them!

Only one of these I can stomach is 'Lightning Strikes'. I think the thumping 'beats' all over this track detract from an otherwise well written and executed song.

RE; Conspiracy. I do like 'Violet Purple Rose'. Actually that album in general is quite good.

the only beat on “lightning strikes” that i can spot is the general ska rhythm. like it is … outright ska, done YES-style.

bet you keeled over when seeing the orchestra mosh along to “roundabout” – actually, do people still say mosh? ;-)> – seriously, the exuberance of the performance make this a high point in YES’ expansive oeuvre. anything that makes steve howe crack up has to be good!

No, it's that thumping sound in the background when the drums kick in on 'Lightning Strikes'. I'd hardly call it ska...can't think of many ska songs in 7/8 time.

seriously, the exuberance of the performance make this a high point in YES’ expansive oeuvre. anything that makes steve howe crack up has to be good!

ITA. That orchestra really makes the DVD so much fun to watch.

Just think - all those young-ish musicians are 15 years older now. I just made myself feel so old
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

My Favorite CS Moment was when I got backstage after the Union show in Hartford CT. I had a close friend who was in the front row, picked up a ticket an hr before the show started, and I was 5 or 6 rows behind her. She came back and showed me a backstage pass she was given, and after the show I just joined her and followed the group backstage. Met them all but Howe and Anderson that night. They all signed the center of a tour book.

When I got to CS, we spoke for a minute, he signed my program, I just held my hand up, palm facing him, and he looked at me for a second, unsure what i wanted, then he realized, and placed his hand against mine. His hand was huge and dwarfed mine. I just smiled, he smiled, and we parted, on to the next band member/fan. I kind of wished I had traced his hand outline in the tour book, but.....

He was also played the 1st notes I ever heard at a concert, the opening to Does it really happen in 1980 Nassau collesuem, NY

My heart goes out to his family, and all the musicians who got to play with him.

RIP CS I love you

Did the meet and greet the last tour in DC

I've seen my beloved affirmatives 70 times or so, 60 of those are with my best bud, who again set us up in the first rows

We were center cut, but Chris made his way over a few times and most definitely gave up his huge smile

Said bud was convinced that we'd been down front together so many times that Chris recognized us, I didn't share that I suspected it was just Chris being Chris

First part of the M & G is a photo OP with the band, I remember going directly up to Chris and telling him I thought they were great this night and thanking him for so many great years of music, and how much it meant to me

He looked me in the eye and shook my hand and said we'd chat after the photo op

We weren't staying for that, it would be the last time I'd see him in person

Of all the shows, chance meetings etc, that last moment will be my favorite

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."