Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: RIP Chris Squire

I've lived to see this, and it's quite a profound day for me. Whenever I imagined that the prog greats would die someday, it was Chris that seemed the irreplaceable seminal pillar (Jon Anderson and Annie Haslam occupy this space for me too). This news is as earth shaking for me as John Tout and George Harrison were. Thank you Chris Squire for being a major player in the music of my life. Peace to you
    Genuine prog album from back in the day! - *free download* : masquepremiere.bandcamp.com

As great of a bass player as he was, he first got my attention with his vocals. Listening to him sing on the Drama Tour when I was 13 years old changed my life forever. How could anyone sing and play that great (and at the same time!)?? Finding FOOW in a used record shop a year or two later only confirmed this. One of the best voices in rock, ever... RIP.

Devastating news. I'm saddened and shocked at how quickly this all came about. Thank you Chris for all the great music. RIP.

Rest in Peace.

One of the greatest. RIP
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

Sucks. Eff Cancer.

His music literally changed my life. RIP Chris.

NO!NO!NO! Terrible news! One of the greats has departed but some wonderful musical memories have been left during Chris Squire's memorable career!R.I.P Chris Squire,you left us way too soon!

Banned
    This happened way too fast. Yes indeed, RIP to one of the greatest bassists in rock

Yes music, with Chris' distinctive playing and singing, was the soundtrack to my youth. Fish Out of Water is also an album that I cherish to this day. To hear of his passing...so very very sad. He left a big mark. No doubt one of the most influential and distinctive bass players in all of rock music.

From the Official Yes Facebook site:

"It’s with the heaviest of hearts and unbearable sadness that we must inform you of the passing of our dear friend and Yes co-founder, Chris Squire. Chris peacefully passed away last night in Phoenix Arizona.
    For the entirety of Yes’ existence, Chris was the band’s linchpin and, in so many ways, the glue that held it together over all these years. Because of his phenomenal bass-playing prowess, Chris influenced countless bassists around the world, including many of today’s well-known artists. Chris was also a fantastic songwriter, having written and co-written much of Yes’ most endearing music, as well as his solo album, Fish Out of Water.

Outside of Yes, Chris was a loving husband to Scotty and father to Carmen, Chandrika, Camille, Cameron, and Xilan. With his gentle, easy-going nature, Chris was a great friend of many … including each of us. But he wasn’t merely our friend: he was also part of our family and we shall forever love and miss him."

Go jam with Peter banks in the afterlife

RIP Chris Squire. Thank you for all of the music you shared with us.

Some thoughts on Chris Squire's passing. The Heart Of The Matter

Quote Originally Posted by itserik View Post
    Yes music, with Chris' distinctive playing and singing, was the soundtrack to my youth. Fish Out of Water is also an album that I cherish to this day. To hear of his passing...so very very sad. He left a big mark. No doubt one of the most influential and distinctive bass players in all of rock music.
    Well said Itserik... I have never replied to one of these RIP threads, felt compelled on this one. He was my favorite member of Yes and Fish out of Water is one of the greatest solo projects I've ever heard, just brilliant. His music left a huge mark on me, Love his playing and that voice... on of the best!!

I still can't believe it. He & Geddy are the reason behind this moniker of mine. Despite him apparently giving his blessing for Yes to carry on, I just can't picture it. Damn, this one hurts.

Just watched the QPR gig for the millionth time, and it never ceases to amaze me just how good these guys were

Making Wikipedia marginally more interesting at:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCul...PXchSo_vDxtcLg

No words to properly express. Just an emptiness...
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Heart Of The Sunrise was the track that made me listen to bass like never before. Fragile is still my favorite Yes record.

Sorry to hear this. RIP.

Very sad to hear this news, I was hoping he could beat it. We were just talking about him yesterday about him living in Arizona and what a great musician he is/was.
    Deb S.
    The Prog-Rock Diner www.fcac.org/radio-fairfax
    SUNDAYS 10pm-12am EST

I have seen Yes since 1977 and it is with a heavy heart that I hear this..God bless Chris for all the joy he has brought us.

Wow, I can only echo all the sentiments expressed here. Yes was my first concert in 1976 and I saw them many times over the years and despite whatever version I saw I always enjoyed the experience.

I really only have one Chris Squire anecdote. After the last Cruise to the Edge I just coincidentally ended up at the Miami airport screening in a parallel line with Chris, his wife and young daughter. I didn't want to bother him but coincidentally again, we BOTH got pulled aside for additional screening and ended up standing next to each other. We watched his very cute little daughter (and wife) go through screening and while I don't remember exactly what he said, he made a loving comment about her and had a smile on his face. I played during the after hours prog jam on the cruise and happened to have a guitar in my hand. He asked me if I had been on the cruise and thanked me for coming (Chris came to the jam almost every night). The cruise was such a memorable experience and I related that, thanked him then off I went to my gate. What a gracious man. Thanks for that small moment Chris and all that you gave the world.
    Last edited by pete100ca; 06-28-2015 at 01:25 PM.

I am beyond stunned.

A terrible loss. The prime mover of Yes and an icon to bassists for many decades has left us. RIP.