Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: RIP Chris Squire

Very sorry to read this, although given the diagnosis, I can't say I am surprised.

His music meant a lot to a lot of people; that's about the best thing a musician can hope for.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Really gutted to hear the news. Goodbye Chris and goodbye Yes. Thanks for making life better for so many of us. No words, really....
    Last edited by Sean; 06-28-2015 at 11:28 AM.

A sad day. He was my first favorite bass player, made me aware of the instrument in the first place. Back in the early 80's I hit on his super cute daughter backstage at an Emerson, Lake, and Powell show, and he interceded, saying "come along, mizzzz Squire, its time to go!"

Wow, hard to believe, but I guess I have to. One of prog's most unique bass players among other things. He'll be sorely missed.

R.I.P. Chris.

Entwhistle....Bruce.....and now Squire......The BIG voices of the Bass have moved on........
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    His music meant a lot to a lot of people; that's about the best thing a musician can hope for.
    QFT

As much as I've been telling myself that this was bound to come sooner rather than later, it still seems way too soon.

Like most of you I wasn't expecting this so quickly. I haven't had water rise in my eyes over a musician for a long time.
    Would love to read Geddy Lee's response to this, Chris was such an influence on him.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Very sorry to read this, although given the diagnosis, I can't say I am surprised.

Perfectly stated.

He wa a huge influence on me, both my playing and my listening. And while this makes me sad, I know in the end his music will continue to bring me joy until my final day.

Bill

Wow! Was that fast! I am stunned!
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Will have to play Fish Out Of Water today.

"All the churches of the universe are lying at your feet."

http://www.udiscovermusic.com/chris-squire-r-i-p

Utterly devastated. Heart broken.
    RIP my friend, thank you for so, so much.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Suspended
    Is it my imagination, or has this been a particularly bad year for losing musical greats?

I'm sure Geddy will mention this at the Madison Square Garden show in New York tomorrow night. I remember seeing Rush in 2003 in Toronto and Geddy dedicating a song to Entwhistle who had passed.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Damn. Thank you Chris for the truly life changing music.

Rest in Peace, you are legend
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Truly wish he had more time. An era has ended.

This. Props for influencing/inspiring so many folks. RIP.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    Entwhistle....Bruce.....and now Squire......The BIG voices of the Bass have moved on........
    Wow! Exactly the same initial thought I had when I opened this thread. It was those 3 that changed people's thinking about electric bass, and realized it could be played like a bass guitar. Prior to Entwistle, no one called it a guitar. Chris & Jack B, in their own special innovative style of playing made it common usage.

The very first time I heard Yes in 1969, Chris's playing was the first thing I noticed. He was a star in every way.

Shine On Brightly, Mr. Christopher Squire.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I'm in too much shock. I can't even think of anything to say. (EDIT) Yes, I can.

Yes was the very first prog band I got into, thanks to my friend Don, who was a musican friend of my mother's. We were all roommates living in Encino. I remember back in 1985, he had these reel-to-reels with the Beatles and Yes songs that he would play for me, and I was entranced. Previously I'd been just into contemporary pop like Culture Club and Duran Duran, but hearing Yes (beyond "Owner of a Lonely Heart") changed the playing field for me. (Good God… this was 30 years ago too… almost to the day.) I became a "prog noggin" for life. And Chris Squire's heavenly vocals and chunky bass playing had more than a little to do with that amazing Yes sound.

Goodbye, Chris. You were awesome.
    Last edited by ThomasKDye; 06-28-2015 at 11:27 AM.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

One of the greats! Very sad news. Fragile was the album that turned me onto progressive music 40 years ago, and Chris Squire's sound and playing was a huge inspiration.

Devastating indeed. He was one of the greatest. RIP Chris.

One of the first to go of this never-to-be-repeated era in music.

As long as Chris is remembered he will continue to live

and his sublime music is never to be forgotten.

Making Wikipedia marginally more interesting at:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCul...PXchSo_vDxtcLg

damn straight.

Wow.....this is shocking. I was on a high after the Grateful Dead show last night and now this chilling news.

RIP Chris

Well, that blindsided me this afternoon. Kinda hit me harder than I thought, too. RIP Chris and thanks for brightening up my life with all the fantastic music.