Thread: Episode 10 of the Änglagård documentary.

Episode 10 of the Änglagård documentary.

Hey hey,

I hope you had a great christmas...

Here we go !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pzksu0n8rhc

Best regards,

Mattias

Very interesting video... A very honest account of what led to the recent line-up change, and also, in a more positive way, a strong argument for Mattias to use his creativity to the full on a project where he would be the prime pusher, or at least surrounded with people who share his vision.

Thomas told me this was coming.
    I'll just say that I think this is a very brave and honest document to place into the public domain.
    I wish both factions, and all five individuals all the best.
    Phil.

Thanks for sharing, Mattias. IMO the rest of the band are fools for driving such a huge talent out of the group. But I can also understand from their point of view, perhaps, that -- especially since most of the rest of the band are doing this more as a "hobby" -- they want it to be commercially successful, and there's a better chance of that happening if the existing fan base isn't challenged by something out of left field. They may feel the existing fans *want* a record that sounds just like Epilog, and to deliver anything else will hurt sales. Anyway, I'm just playing devil's advocate here.

Also, did I hear you mention Warner Bros. there at the end? Did you guys sign with them for this album? That might also help to explain some of the pressure to deliver something that is "safe".

Quite a bit of lineup changes recently by looking at the web site.

Mattias, please keep us informed about your creative endeavors. It seems like you have a lot of ideas waiting to be expressed!

Kristi
    Love the toys, but of course most revealing was the exchange regarding the direction of the album. As you said Mattias, it is sad. Frankly, if you are already listening to Anglagard, aren't you looking for more of the strange? I believe the fans can withstand some different direction, and I for one would love to hear what your vision was in that context of this Anglagard album. Certainly though I can see why they (the multiple "they's" it sounds like) would not want competing versions of it out there.

I do love this band, and will continue to support and listen to them of course. I know there is a lot of creativity on both sides and I hope to hear much more in the future from the band and you Mattias, in whatever projects you work on.

Quote Originally Posted by kristi View Post
    I know there is a lot of creativity on both sides and I hope to hear much more in the future from the band and you Mattias, in whatever projects you work on.
    I think you have it about right, Kristi. Not so much 'left field' vs. 'straight', but more different visions and interpretations of 'left field' that ended up being incompatible. I don't believe for a second that anyone in Anglagard, past or present, let the promise of commercial success influence any artistic decision at all. There's been too many examples of the complete opposite.
    Phil.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    That was great! (I mean the the way the video was done, and how it told the story.) The story itself is unfortunate. I feel bad for all the stress and frustration that obviously was experienced by the band at that time. I hope all things turn out for the best. I look forward to projects from both Mattias and Änglagård.

Being human is something, isn't it?
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    That was great! (I mean the the way the video was done, and how it told the story.) The story itself is unfortunate. I feel bad for all the stress and frustration that obviously was experienced by the band at that time. I hope all things turn out for the best. I look forward to projects from both Mattias and Änglagård.
    Agreed. I really appreciate the honesty that Matthias has always displayed in keeping us informed about the band. All together, I feel that beauty, integrity, and tension are all good words to describe the band and its work. I'm looking forward to hearing more about the projects coming out next month!

Ah, the joys of being in a band. I'm certain that the tensions that persisted throughout Änglagård's turbulent career helped to mould the phenomenal quality of their output. Despite the unfortunate absence of Thomas, I'm just so relieved and pleased that I busted a gut to get to the final performance of the band in some semblance of the original line-up, in France last summer. With the possible exception of Bruford, Mattias' performance was as stunning as I have ever seen from a drummer. What a way to go out!