Thread: Mr. Mister

Mr. Mister

They never really broke in the UK so can't comment on the viability of their albums. I'm into some AOR/Melodic rock so would appreciate some comments on these albums!

MR. MISTER 'WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD' CANDY270

ALTHOUGH MR MISTER achieved colossal commercial success there has always been a vast under appreciation of their musical worth. Unfairly viewed by many as a faceless mid 80's pop rock band, they eventually scored two worldwide hit singles, their sound showcasing technical ability far beyond the level of musical proficiency normally expected. Indeed, there is an argument that elevates Mr Mister into that rarefied breed of highly respected AOR acts such as Toto, Chicago and Steely Dan.

Based in Los Angeles, the band was originally formed by Steve George and Richard Page (later adding 'ber drummer Pat Mastelotto and guitarist Steve Farris). Page and George initially recorded unsuccessfully as Pages before changing members and switching their name to Mr Mister, they were then signed to RCA Records by Paul Atkinson, a former member of revered British psychedelic outfit the Zombies. 'Welcome To The Real World', was the band's second album and saw them facing a make or break situation. Fortunately it was a happy ending, with the album producing two #1 hit singles, in 'Broken Wings' and 'Kyrie', and going on to sell in excess of two million copies.

Co-produced by former Yes soundman Paul De Villiers, the album showcases a collection of highly polished tracks, fusing lyrics, melody and showmanship into one glorious clutch of tracks that actually owe as much to progressive rock as they do to catchy pop.

Special Deluxe Collector's Edition, fully remastered sound, Six Bonus Tracks, 16 page full colour booklet, new interviews, 3,500 word essay, enhanced artwork and rare photos.

TRACK LISTING: 1. Black/White 2. Uniform Of Youth 3. Don't Slow Down 4. Run To Her 5. Into My Own Hands 6. Is It Love 7. Kyrie 8. Broken Wings 9. Tangent Tears 10. Welcome To The Real World. BONUS TRACKS: 11. Kyrie' (Extended Version) 12. Broken Wings (Live) 13. Uniform Of Youth (Live) 14. Is It Love' (Dance Mix) 15. Is It Love (Dub Mix) 16. Broken Wings (Extended Version)

MR. MISTER 'GO ON...' CANDY271

WHEN MR MISTER'S 'Welcome To The Real World' album eventually became a huge international seller, producing two massive hit singles in 'Kyrie' and 'Broken Wings', the music business hailed them as all conquering heroes destined to take their place in the rock 'n' roll hall of fame. So much attention was focussed on this their follow-up album, the meticulously crafted 'Go On...', with many eyes and ears confidently predicting another massive success story. Sadly, however, that was not to be.

'Go On...' suffered at the hands of a record company corporate reshuffle, one that saw it change hands and clean out its long time staff. RCA had been sold to German media group BMG who set in motion a restructuring of the company, a place where Mr Mister's new music was not appreciated. It was a disappointing state of affairs as the band had poured their heart and soul into crafting an album that, in many respects, displayed a far more confident and courageous sound.... but one that BMG were not sold on.

Utilising producer Kevin Killen, who had previously crafted records by U2 and Peter Gabriel, 'Go On...' elevates the band to another creative level. The sound is perfectly pristine, boasting a brace of superb songs (including the all time great 'Stand And Deliver') wrapped up in a progressive pop sheen that, even to this day, makes it entirely unfathomable as to why the record label failed to see its potential.

Special Deluxe Collector's Edition, fully remastered sound, Four Bonus Tracks, 16 page full colour booklet, new interviews, 3,500 word essay, enhanced artwork and rare photos.

TRACK LISTING: 1. Stand And Deliver 2. Healing Waters 3. Dust 4. Something Real (Inside Me / Inside You) 5. The Tube 6. Control 7. Watching The World 8. Power Over Me 9. Man Of A Thousand Dances 10. The Border. BONUS TRACKS: 11. Healing Waters (Remix) 12. Bare My Soul (B-Side) 13. Something Real (Inside Me/Inside You) (Rock Dance Mix) 14. Stand And Deliver (Remix)

I think Welcome is one of the great pop albums of the 80s, alongside- well, just under- Golden Age Of Wireless. Great songs galore but beware, it's extremely dated in the production department- huge huge triggered drums, 80s guitar and synth sounds (though the synth does lean toward an analog feel); if you have a low threshold for that sort of thin be wary. I don't, so I love it. The two mega singles (Broken Wings and Kyrie) are the weak points of the album and they're actually very good songs, I'm just burned out to death on them.

Go On I actually have never heard

If you don't like Toto 4 or 80s Yes I wouldn't bother...
    Last edited by trurl; 06-26-2015 at 12:06 PM.

Here's a song I always liked from WttRW:

Something Real and Stand and Deliver are the standouts on Go On.
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

I still have my cassette of Real World somewhere. I have since gotten a digital copy of it and still listen to the album. I'm a big fan of 80s radio and new wave stuff.

Strangely, though, I never followed up with their other music.

I'd also recommend The Hooters.

Suspended
    I loved Broken Wings. Then when i heard the opening bars of Kyrie, I thought "Wow, this is even better!" until the chorus kicked in, at which point the song seemed to degenerate into that nasty sound I associate with the 80's - over-bright, too much artificial sounding percussion, too clinically clean. I never bothered investigating them further. I have had this experience with a number of acts - I hear one song that really grabs me, and then discover that it was a flash in the pan.

Now I have not heard anything else from the first album, and nothing from the second - but that song posted above does nothing to rekindle my interest. Kyrie part 2, to my ears.

There was an Australian band called Kids In the Kitchen, whose sound is quite similar. I bought their album, mainly on the strength of the first two singles. A couple of the other songs aren't bad - the rest is pretty generic 80's pop. I rarely listen to it these days.
    Last edited by bob_32_116; 06-26-2015 at 01:34 PM.

It is generic 80s pop. It's just good generic 80s pop. Here's one more, less of a big anthem...

It is what it is *lol*

I appreciate things like this because they are simple yet pleasing. Sometimes I really don't feel like chewing my music.

Somehow I hope for some years these would be re-released by Richard Page himself: http://www.richardpagemusic.com/

I liked "Welcome" when it came out, but I loved "Go On". I don't have either on CD now, but if I were to go back and pick one up it would be "Go On". They also recently had a release of a "new" disc - one that sat in the record company vaults all these years, but I haven't heard it at all.
    "I want to be someone, who someone would want to be." Marillion

Quote Originally Posted by Polska View Post
    I liked "Welcome" when it came out, but I loved "Go On". I don't have either on CD now, but if I were to go back and pick one up it would be "Go On". They also recently had a release of a "new" disc - one that sat in the record company vaults all these years, but I haven't heard it at all.
    Agreed. Go On has more of a "mood" to it, for lack of a better word. Trurl has it right with the comparisons to 80s Toto and Yes, but I'd put there musicianship right up there with those bands, too. Richard Page is a talented guy and a great singer. Pull, the above-mentioned "new disc" is also very good, and features Trevor Rabin on guitar on a few tracks, to bring this full-circle.

Richard Page also sings on Third Matinee, the "sequel" band to Kevin Gilbert's Toy Matinee - another great album in the same vein.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by paythesnuka View Post
    Something Real and Stand and Deliver are the standouts on Go On.
    I'd add "Who's Watching the World" as the song I gravitated to.

I listened to Mr. Mister quite a bit a few years ago, not having heard them since the 80s -- even saw them in concert at SummerFest in Milwaukee. The sound is dated, but I was surprised at how much I liked the songs that weren't on the radio.

They had another album, Pull, ready to go in 1989 with Trevor Rabin playing on four tracks. My favorite is one Rabin is on: "I don't Know Why"

I read it wasn't released because it was "too progressive" (not progressive music but...) It was released in 2010 and up on youtube.

(oops.. just saw Scott Bail's post.)

I used to have "Welcome to the Real World" on cassette (my cassette and vinyl collection is long gone). I didn't love it, but I liked it. I remember thinking of them as sort of "a poor man's Toto," though Scott is correct that they weren't necessarily lesser musicians. And Richard Page is a particularly talented guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Richard Page also sings on Third Matinee, the "sequel" band to Kevin Gilbert's Toy Matinee - another great album in the same vein.
    I have that too and it's pretty good, though it's strongest moments can't compare with those of the Toy Matinee album. The connection is that (keyboard player/producer) Patrick Leonard was half of both duos.

Speaking of bands similar to Toto, there was Giant, led by singer/session guitar player, Dan Huff, who has since become a very successful Nashville producer. The keyboard player was Alan Pasqua, one of the most underrated jazz pianists around imo. But he was apparently taking a break from his jazz career with Giant. Giant was actually closer to sounding like Toto than Mr. Mister, not that either band was necessarily going for that.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Speaking of bands similar to Toto, there was Giant, led by singer/session guitar player, Dan Huff, who has since become a very successful Nashville producer. The keyboard player was Alan Pasqua, one of the most underrated jazz pianists around imo. But he was apparently taking a break from his jazz career with Giant. Giant was actually closer to sounding like Toto than Mr. Mister, not that either band was necessarily going for that.
    Last Of The Runaways is a great disc! I was underwhelmed by their 2001 III album.

I was a big Giant fan until Toy Matinee dethroned them the following year.