Thread: FEATURED CD - Little Atlas : Surface Serene

FEATURED CD - Little Atlas : Surface Serene

Another one with a PE involvement. Per that world-class music journalist
    Miami-based quartet Little Atlas is known for its aggressive schedule of playing local venues, effectively delivering its prog message to an intelligent public that has never heard the words progressive and music used in the same sentence. As band leader Steve Katsikas describes it "...we sell CDs at our shows, and most of the people who enjoy it don't know what progressive music is. But they know what they like."

At first blush this record may sound like rather good pop-prog. Well it's rather good and it's rather prog, but although Surface Serene is somewhat approachable the 'pop' references quickly disappear after the first spin and you realize that it's unfortunate the opening track starts off sounding like power pop, with its lilting rhythm and the very tight drum / bass work and the straightforward vocals and melody. But about half way in you move quickly into progressive territory with interesting vocal harmonies and a killer synth solo, and that bass cranks it up into high gear with high register jazzy flourishes that drive the piece to its very 'progressive' conclusion.

And we're left with the conclusion that this is modern progressive music in the same vein as label-stablemates IZZ, Salem Hill, Man On Fire, Eyestrings and Guy Manning; in the sense that is palatable modern progressive rock that spans the void between the symphonic and neo sub-genres. Little Atlas has been compared with Yes, Kansas, and early Genesis, and the Miami Herald described it as "Music for Musicians" - so it's no surprise that with this sophomore release Little Atlas was the the first act signed to Prog Rock Records - a label that has since grown into one of the more important in the genre.

With its catchy chorus, the title track is a standout piece. It starts with a soft keyboard introduction, then enter the bass and drums and a guitar hammering heavy power chords, and just as suddenly, it pulls back. The vocals are ballad-soft and the simple melody is barbed with hooks, and accompanied by elegant keyboard and guitar led instrumentation. The piece swells and recedes and swells again in a slow, tantric rhythm, subtly different each time, but always returning to that theme introduced in the first 10 seconds. Listen for the wailing guitar solo in the closing minute before the song fades gently away. It may not be the most progressive piece on the album, but you can easily understand how that intelligent Miami public is being drawn into the world of intelligent music. The most complex piece is probably "Can I Find It". It revolves around the theme introduced in the first moments, but its sophisticated arrangements and subtle shifts meander through so many places that you'll be surprised the piece lasts less than 8 minutes.

The keyboard / guitar interplay are important components of every track. Singer, keyboardist and multi-instrumentalist Katsikas is at his best on the piano, and his keyboard lines are tightly coupled with Roy Strattman's elegant guitars that go through chameleon-like changes in tone from soaring leads to Steve Howe inspired sections to muted accompaniment.

Those Miami audiences aren't easily fooled - they know what they like and they like this stuff. Surface Serene is approachable, yet it's neither pop-prog nor neo. Prog-lite, perhaps, but this is an album you can play again and again and again.

4 Stars
    http://www.seaoftranquility.org/revi...content&id=786

(Mo YouTube videos found)
    Regards,

Duncan

I only have Wanderlust, the one after this one. It’s pretty good modern prog, but I think it needs more time to grow on me. What little I’ve heard of the follow up, Hollow, strikes me as better, however. One of those bands that keep improving with each release, it seems. At least others have told me that Automatic Day is their best to date.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

While I agree that "Automatic" is their best and you're right about them improving every time they make an album..............

For any who don't know this, "Hollow" is a very, very interesting album, and the only album I've ever reviewed. Old Man Luddite doesn't know how to link anyone to it.

Duncan?

Hollow's song titles and lyrics are all about human behavior, some of it abhorrent, some of it funny, all of it interesting. Steve Katsikas has written these pieces from the unique perspective of a great musician, who also happens to be a PhD Psychologist who is the Chair and Professor of the School of Professional Psychology at a Kentucky university.

Listening to Hollow with that knowledge gives one a very different perspective.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Steve,

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    For any who don't know this, "Hollow" is a very, very interesting album, and the only album I've ever reviewed. Old Man Luddite doesn't know how to link anyone to it.

Duncan?
    Where is the review?
    Regards,

Duncan

I (perhaps naively-what a shock!) thought that reviews posted here on PE (this would have been v2) were stored somewhere.

It's a wonder I've even learned how to copy & paste.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

review of Little Atlas's "Hollow", by Progeezer:

PERSONNEL:
    Steve Katsikas: Lead Vox, Keyboards, Sax
    Rik Bigai: Bass, Synths, Cuatro
    Roy Strattman: Elec & Acoustic Guitar, Vox
    Diego Pocovi: Drums & Percussion
    Additional Vox: Joanna Katsikas

With their third release, Hollow, Little Atlas mines some significantly different ground than their 1st two albums, Surface Serene and Wanderlust, which were playful & hopeful & had a bit of both a Steely Dan & Neal-era Beard feel musically. This time out the band has embraced their inner Darth Vader & come over to the “dark side” for at least a visit. This is a concept album about the dark side of several human conditions, or perhaps even THE HUMAN CONDITION.

What hasn’t changed is the incredible musicianship of LA. All 4 members of this band have some serious chops, folks! They are never boring, with constant fluid shifts in both mood & time sigs. Even Latin rhythms can be heard at times (not surprising since they were incepted in Miami). The lyrics are clever & challenging rock poetry that immediately warn you that you better bring your “thinker” along for the ride.

The music is co-written by the band, and the lyrics are written and sung in 1st Person by Steve K.(more on that later!). Like many other truly fine singers, Steve has a wide arsenal of voices to call on depending on what’s needed.

TRACK BREAKDOWN:

“Hollow” - Less than a minute into the song, the words emptiness inside, suicide, clinging desperation & blackest abyss have made their way into your consciousness. Dark musically indeed as well.

“Silence” - The only mini-epic length track. The gripping lyrics could be applied not only to autism or deafness but also to anyone with such tragically low self-worth that they feel that disconnected. Very tasty musical interlude.

“Paranoiac” - The opening here is a quick return to SB-like controlled frenzy. It’s followed by some chilling spoken word & very nice bass work by Rik.

“Contumacious” - OK I was an English major in the distant past & I still had to look this word up in Webster's. Very nice harmonies from Steve & Roy (NO, LOOK IT UP YOURSELF!) .

“Preying” – About psychopathic behavior as told from the inside (featuring the warm nostalgic voice of Charles Manson!). Nice sax by Steve at the end.

“Orderly” – A trip down OCD lane perhaps? Another musical nod to Neal M. & a chorus that harkens back to their 1st two albums in style.

“Hiding” – A very poignant song with beautiful melodies about a sad, disconnected man too beaten down & exhausted to change his situation.

“Stage” – A scathing indictment of all the “all style no substance” people on the planet. Great guitar work from Roy.

“Symbiosis” – What can I say? This has more musical twists & turns than a Hitchcock movie (or many prog epics 3 times as long.) A bit reminiscent of V era SB.

“Special” – Closes the album w/ its most peaceful song w/ some nice acoustic work from Roy. The lyrics are sung by someone whom we’ve all met at least once in our lives.

My only criticism is that Diego (IMO a really fine drummer) is undermixed at times (at least to my old ears).

“MORE ABOUT THAT LATER.” Dept: For any of you not aware of this, for perspective, when Steve isn’t busy making music & writing disturbing lyrics, he’s a practicing psychologist currently working in hospital administration. Scary, eh?

With the zeal of a televangelist I say to you bruthas & sistahs, this band will heal any prog afflictions you have (or even think you have).

Steve Kessler
    Regards,

Duncan

Thanks, Duncan!

I bought this album the first time I saw this band. I remember some of it being very proggish. Wanderlust was the last album I bought by Little Atlas. I really like Wanderlust. I liked it so much I even wrote a review.

Very tasty melodic prog
    I live in an ephemeral eternity

This album, along with the rest of the Little Atlas discography, can be streamed in its entirety here:

http://10trecords.com/artists/genres...s/discography/

Thanks,

Steve
    www.10trecords.com

Automatic Day is their best, no doubts. Missing this one but got Wanderlust and Hollow. On Automatic Day production quality is outstanding hands down. Superb material... Darvoset Eyes in 3/4... oh man! Time for new one. Hey Steve, whats the story with Frogg Café release?

A piece from Little Atlas' Wanderlust (On & On) appears on the PM Show #70. I think they're a pretty good prog group. (IMO) I've played them several times.

http://www.xray.fm/broadcasts/view/7811

Greetings! This album was the one that started things off for us. We created it without the awareness of a current progressive rock "scene". We were just busy gigging a bunch in Miami, playing showcases, and writing. When this album was completed, it found its way into the hands of Shawn Gordon, who signed us as one of the first bands on the now-defunct ProgRock Records. George Roldan also heard it and invited us to be a part of this brand new festival he was launching called The Rites of Spring Festival (Rosfest). The album was self-produced and really reminds all of us of a very exciting time in our lives. It has a very special place in my heart, and while I believe the band evolved tremendously on the next 3 albums, none of them would have ever been made if it weren't for Surface Serene.

--Steve Katsikas