Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Joe Walsh - Life's Been Good (Live Spoken Word Version)

Joe Walsh - Life's Been Good (Live Spoken Word Version)

"One of the most terrifying things that ever happened to me is that Keith Moon decided he liked me."

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I like that. Thanks, Jerol.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

That was great! Thanks for posting.

That was great!

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Very kewl

sourdough advocate
    Nice!!!
    When in doubt....

Neato.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

NO TALKING IN PROG!

Well, this isn't prog though

That was fun.

I recall Alice Cooper on Top Gear talking about Keith Moon. He said that usually all the stories you hear about musicians are maybe 10% true, but everything you hear about Keith Moon is 100% true, and you've only heard about 10% of that.

I enjoyed that a lot more than the song, which I can't stand. Love Joe though.

Suspended
    I can't stand the song, and I'm not that fond of the singer. I get the impression he thinks he's very funny, which he isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I can't stand the song, and I'm not that fond of the singer. I get the impression he thinks he's very funny, which he isn't.
    well he's slurringly drunk but it is mildly amusing, but mostly because he speaks of Moon The Loon.

Yeah, he's always thought he was some kind of a comedian. The only album I kept any length of time was the live one: You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind... not exactly funnyyyyyy, Joe! It's all I ever needed from him, and I haven't had it for almost three decades.

I may miss the odd track here and there on his studio albums, but I've lived 50 years without them, so I think I can go on without them.
    Last edited by Trane; 06-27-2015 at 08:43 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Joe always sounds like that.

I enjoyed that, like the song, dig his singing and love his guitar playing!

I don't have any of Joe's albums, but I've been seeing him turn up on a lot of miscellaneous artist rock concert shows on the tube lately... and I think he's great! Those of you that have read enough of my posts to have my musical tastes figured out know that I like guitar players that have a lot of chops and even more harmonic smarts... yeah, jazz oriented guys for the most part. Joe has none of that going on. What he does have is tons of feel, soul, phrasing and most of all, the ability to really sell what he's playing; he can play a blues/rock cliché with so much authority and deliberation that you almost feel like he's making a profound statement, though in the back of your mind you know that he's just saying something you've heard a million times before, said by a million other players... if that makes sense.

Another guy like that is Billy Gibbons. Compared to a lot of jazz fusion players, Joe and Billy are sort of minimalistic, but they can really communicate to a crowd. That's the kind of lesson that doesn't take years of practice and study to absorb and utilize, but it's at least as important as anything else you could learn about playing music.

As far as Joe being drunk, I think he's cleaned up and is struggling to remain a former substance abuser. His early records with Barnstorm and his solo records "The Smoker You Drink, The Player You Get" and "So What" are great. So, of couse, are the James Gang records with him.
    Last edited by Guitarplyrjvb; 06-27-2015 at 11:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Joe always sounds like that.

I guess Life In The Fast Lane while living at Hotel California did permanent damage to him.

How old was he at the time of the above recording??
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Suspended
    I'm surprised no one has said it yet, so I'll say it:

Joe Walsh ruined the Eagles.

Seriously, The sound he brought to the band was exactly what they didn't need.

While this is true for some of their songs (The Long Run t/t for ex), I find that HC is their best (from far), and he certainly helped a fair bit, despite being the New Kid In Town

Not that I care much for them at all, except for HC's t/t and One Of These Nights

Suspended
    ^^ You see, I came to the Eagles via the Desperado album, which I still consider their masterpiece - an almost perfect blending of melodic pop, country and bluegrass.

As the for song "Hotel California", I hate it with a passion. Admittedly that has something to do with the fact that it's probably the most overplayed radio song of all time, at least where I live. The album has some decent songs, particularly "The Last Resort", but I could not bring myself to own an album that contains that title song.

^^ You see, I came to the Eagles via the Desperado album, which I still consider their masterpiece - and almost perfect blending of melodic pop, country and bluegrass.

As the for song "Hotel California", I hate it with a passion. Admittedly that has something to do with the fact that it's probably the most overplayed radio song of all time, at least where I live. The album has some decent songs, particularly "The Last Resort", but I could not bring myself to own an album that contains that title song.
    I hate country and CR as much as early 80's synth-pop crap, so Desperado and their ridiculous cowboy wannabe stuff is fairly irritating

Now of course, the HC t/t is the most overplayed track on the Belgian-state-owned classic rock station, but I never get tored of it, because everytime I hear I think of a different girl I've fondled while slow-dancing to it back in HS and Uni days . And even then out of the HC album, I always played side A and not even flip it over ..; but thay album disappeared from my shelves almost 30 years ago.

Well, Timothy Schmidt helped a lot.

BTW I'm as sick of Hotel California as anyone- I never liked the title cut or Life in the Fast Lane at all- but the two side closing songs, Last Resort and Wasted Time are pretty brilliant.
    IMHO The Long Run is a gigantic fecal smear from beginning to end. Except maybe for In The City, so there you go.

OTOH, he's the only thing about The Eagles, barring a handful of other songs, I like about them. I prefer his solo career, by far.

Well, Timothy Schmidt helped a lot.
    Not enough to counter Henley for my taste.

IMHO The Long Run is a gigantic fecal smear from beginning to end. Except maybe for In The City
    And you don't even need to own The Long Run to enjoy it!

No, I mean he helped ruin them too

No, I mean he helped ruin them too
    there was never much to ruin with that band.... despite their phenomenal commercial succes

as for Henley's 80's success, (I'm always astounded somebody liked that crap), he's definitely a considerable reason why I hated that decade