Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Eloy: Where to start?

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Yes, Live is a must.

I also like Performance and Metromania. They're different than what came before (dare I say Rush influenced?), but they rock.

I actually like Metromania too. Not huge on Performance except "Broken Frame".
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunhillow View Post
    Knowing you like Ocean, I think you pretty much can't go wrong within most of Eloy's 70s and 80s output. I think you should avoid - like everyone here does - the debut-album and pretty much everything after 1984 - except "Ocean 2: The Answer", you'll love that one.

In a list:

Eloy (1971) - avoid
    Inside (1973) - excellent
    Floating (1974) - very good
    Power and the Passion (1975) - mediocre, but 'The Bells Of Notre Dame' is a classic
    Dawn (1976) - excellent
    Ocean (1977) - excellent
    Silent Cries and Mighty Echoes (1979) - excellent
    Colours (1980) - very good
    Planets (1981) - excellent
    Time To Turn (1982) - very good
    Performance (1983) - very good, often neglected
    Metromania (1984) - very good, 'All Life Is One' and 'Follow The Light' are classics
    Ra (1988) - avoid
    Destination (1992) - avoid
    The Tides Return Forever (1994) - mediocre, though it shows promise again
    Ocean 2: The Answer (1998) - excellent
    Visionary (2009) - good
    Reincarnation On Stage (2014) - excellent, the only live-album worth mentioning
    The first album was not the Eloy everyone is familiar with though. It was a different guy fronting and the songs were more about social commentary than the various concepts Frank Bornemann envisioned and composed. The Eloy we are familiar with was because the front guy (whose name I forget) decided to leave after one album and Frank essentially took the reins.
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    The first album was not the Eloy everyone is familiar with though. It was a different guy fronting and the songs were more about social commentary than the various concepts Frank Bornemann envisioned and composed. The Eloy we are familiar with was because the front guy (whose name I forget) decided to leave after one album and Frank essentially took the reins.
    Frank Bornemann was the leader of Eloy from the start. He formed the group and picked the musicians. Eric Schriever was the first vocalist and Helmut Draht played drums on the debut and they left afther the first album.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Agreed! I prefer the harder edged psyche-tinged period to their keyboard driven "space" period. "Floating" may be one of my all-time favorite albums of the 70s.
    ditto

I'm a moderate Eloy fan, and I've heard everything from Inside/Floating (I always forget which one was earlier) through Time to Turn. Here's my 0.02 USD:

* Floating/Inside - Heavy jammy/psych stuff. Like Deep Purple or early Camel. Good, but not necessarily my cuppa.
    * Power and/or the Passion - Transitional sound, almost Tull-ish; concept album; kinda cheesy, but enjoyable.
    * Dawn - More into the swooshy spacy sound, good stuff. Orchestral arrangements work exceptionally well.
    * Ocean - Lots of space, but more symphonic. One of my favorites.
    * Silent Cries and/or Mighty Echoes - Similar. Very good.
    * Planets/Colours/Time to Turn - Their sound took a turn for the 80s with these. Poppier on the surface, but still plenty of Eloyishness to love, with a few bombastic proggy standouts. I like all of them though.
    * Reincarnation on Stage - Excellent doubple live album. Shows the band's musical history as a unified thing.

ELOYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
    flute juice

Enicnitas San Diego,Redondo Beach Los Angeles
    Eloy were a really nice bunch of fun creative gents from Germany I met a couple times...

My long while Switzerland progressive rock band Flame Dream that I was the Californian guitarist in and Eloy both recorded their albums at Yes,Moody Blues legendary Swiss keyboardist Patrick Moraz's Aquarius Studios in Geneva,Switzerland.

Patrick always had in his studio the clever engineer Jean Ristori,and was always awesome;and worked,toured with Yes.

As many people know,Aquarius Studios was the happening studio for recording signed European progressive rock bands.

Planets out of alignment

Though I respect the YMMV-principle, this surprises me, for this material was to be meant seen as a whole, and general opinion favors Planets (first part of 'Salta') slightly above Time To Turn (second part of 'Salta').
    Just gave Planets another spin to see if it clicks. Sorry, no. To me (and it is only an opinion), it is mostly tuneless and bereft of decent instrumental passages. Sounds to me like a load of unfinished and under-developed demos. Whereas, Time To Turn is simply great from start to finish. Go figure!

If you love your 70s PROG you really should like planets. Mainly a good sound and pretty good compositions. Not sure how a 70s progger can rate metromania above performance. I heard a few tracks on metro and the drums were unlistenable to me

Knowing you like Ocean, I think you pretty much can't go wrong within most of Eloy's 70s and 80s output. I think you should avoid - like everyone here does - the debut-album and pretty much everything after 1984 - except "Ocean 2: The Answer", you'll love that one.

Power and the Passion (1975) - mediocre, but 'The Bells Of Notre Dame' is a classic
    To each his own, Mutiny is a stellar track...Great Record!!!

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    Just gave Planets another spin to see if it clicks. Sorry, no. To me (and it is only an opinion), it is mostly tuneless and bereft of decent instrumental passages. Sounds to me like a load of unfinished and under-developed demos. Whereas, Time To Turn is simply great from start to finish. Go figure!
    Spinning Planets again in response. Can't say I hear what you are hearing. It sounds like a fully realized album to me. It's not a particularly busy album, going more for the space-rock thing, appropriate to its overall theme really.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Why is there no big Eloy box set? Someone do it.

The EMI remasters aren't hard to find.

Planets, Time To Turn and Colours are my favourites - fantastic music.

I always have a weak spot for Silent cries and mighty echoes.Yes, it has a strong Pink Floyd influence. Did they listen to Wish you were here during the sessions?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    This morning I listened to Ocean (so great), and when it ended Spotify played the first track off Time to Turn. Also very good. Have most of their albums on CD but it’d be nice to have them all in one box.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I always have a weak spot for Silent cries and mighty echoes.Yes, it has a strong Pink Floyd influence. Did they listen to Wish you were here during the sessions?
    Astral Entrance is essentially Shine On You Crazy Diamond Pt. 1, Take Two. And I'm fine with that. OK, so it sounds like Pink Floyd. But guess what: I like Pink Floyd! And most of the rest of the record, really doesn't sound that much like Floyd. There's more uptempo things (e.g. Master Of Sensation and Pilot To Paradise), and Borneman's vocals sound nothing at all like Gilmour, Wright, or Waters.

But this reminds me, I need to get more of their albums on CD. I've got a bunch of them in vinyl, but I think Silent Cries And Mighty Echoes and Floating might be the only two I have on CD.

I'll take Eloy Silent Cries and Mighty Echoes and at least three other Eloy albums over any Pink Floyd album.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Astral Entrance is essentially Shine On You Crazy Diamond Pt. 1, Take Two. And I'm fine with that. OK, so it sounds like Pink Floyd. But guess what: I like Pink Floyd! And most of the rest of the record, really doesn't sound that much like Floyd. There's more uptempo things (e.g. Master Of Sensation and Pilot To Paradise), and Borneman's vocals sound nothing at all like Gilmour, Wright, or Waters.

But this reminds me, I need to get more of their albums on CD. I've got a bunch of them in vinyl, but I think Silent Cries And Mighty Echoes and Floating might be the only two I have on CD.
    I think I have all of their albums on CD, but Silent cries and mighty echoes is the only one I have on vinyl. I have some of their albums on tape, I think at least Live and Colours.

"Dawn" and "Colors" are my favorite and the most frequently played.
    All the other albums have their moments but i usually only play specific songs.

I really enjoy Jurgen Rosenthal's drumming in Eloy and also the Scorpions.

Chronicles 1 & 2. Compilation albums. This was my first explorations with Eloy.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    Chronicles 1 & 2. Compilation albums. This was my first explorations with Eloy.
    I like them, too. They do include re-recorded stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartellb View Post
    I'll take Eloy Silent Cries and Mighty Echoes and at least three other Eloy albums over any Pink Floyd album.
    "Good answer."

1973-83. Get all studio albums from that era

Quote Originally Posted by PROGMONSTER View Post
    1973-83. Get all studio albums from that era

Dude, the original post is over 4 years old, I'm pretty sure he is no longer looking for "where to start"...lol
    cheers

I still love Inside and Floating and think they are 2 of Eloy's strongest albums
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?