Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Danish Prog Recommendations ?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I somehow always thought him to be a Lebanese ping-pong player.

I believe Zeuhlmate's point was that whereas some leftist rockers kept their Ho Chi Minh-banners high as a token to "liberation-aspects" of the global Marxist-Leninist movement during the 70s, others eventually did indeed fall down on the Maoist (i.e. anti-Soviet) side of things, by which their affiliation tipped over the side - as with Savage Rose's grotesque support for Albania's dictator Enver Hoxha - a man who'd proceed to have dozens of his own citizens executed for merely listening to "western decadent popular music" on the radio as late as the early 80s. And the Maoist movement was -significant- in Scandinavia, with substantial support for (Mao's apostle) Pol Pot among (especially) Norwegian and Danish radical academics/students etc. who'd later become influential in society and in many cases still are.

As I recall it you had in Norway even a political party that VERY late discovered that Pol Pot wasn't all bliss and honky dory. Everybody else knew.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Interesting post, though somewhat dangerous as it flirts with the anti-politics policy of the site,
    Not really, Hugues. It's all historical information - not political suggestion. We're (luckily) allowed to discuss political stances of artists (be them HCow, RWaters, CVander, Area, DCrosby, RWyatt or TNugent) in a historical perspective, but not to argue from a personal one.

And speaking as an historian myself, Scandinavia was special in that the social-democratic model inherently opened for elementary acceptance of ideological adherences that might have appeared overtly extreme anywhere else but exactly here. And many (pseudo-)former Pol Pot-supporters kept much of their political mentality intact while later joining established labour parties heading for office, even upholding positions as ministers of government et al. Scandinavia, as such, -is- a peculiar place.

Anyway, enough on Prog Pot & Pol Rock & co. now. Let's get back on track with that virus thing. As well as Danish progressive.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

The Day of Phoenix also illustrate how strangely original an approach much of this music took to harmony, melody and general "vibe". Their first album is fascinatingly different from just about anything else I ever heard out of Scandinavia (or most of Europe) at the time, and particularly in terms of that bizarre mixture of rawness and experimental intricacy. And they had an amazingly talented vocalist in Hans Lauridsen, whose voice here is almost ghostly in its timbre.

Both Day Of Phoenix' albums will be rereleased by Esoteric Recordings as a double-CD end of September titled Mind Funeral - The Recordings 1968-1972.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Both Day Of Phoenix' albums will be rereleased by Esoteric Recordings as a double-CD end of September titled Mind Funeral - The Recordings 1968-1972.
    This one too

Culpeper’s Orchard 'Mountain Music – The Polydor Recordings 1970-1973' (2CD Remastered & Expanded Edition)
    Esoteric Recordings is pleased to announce the release of a new re-mastered 2 CD set by legendary cult Danish Progressive Rock band CULPEPER’S ORCHARD, “Mountain Music – The Polydor Recordings 1971 – 1973”. Featuring the albums 'Culpeper's Orchard', 'Second Sight'and 'Going For A Song' plus 4 rare bonus tracks two of which are previously unreleased on CD.

Release Date 30th October 2020
    ECLEC22742

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    This one too

Culpeper’s Orchard 'Mountain Music – The Polydor Recordings 1970-1973' (2CD Remastered & Expanded Edition)
    Esoteric Recordings is pleased to announce the release of a new re-mastered 2 CD set by legendary cult Danish Progressive Rock band CULPEPER’S ORCHARD, “Mountain Music – The Polydor Recordings 1971 – 1973”. Featuring the albums 'Culpeper's Orchard', 'Second Sight'and 'Going For A Song' plus 4 rare bonus tracks two of which are previously unreleased on CD.

Release Date 30th October 2020
    ECLEC22742
    how are those two albums?? are they even coming to the waist height of their debut album?

my notes show that I heard one of them, but have no memory at all.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    how are those two albums?? are they even coming to the waist height of their debut album?

my notes show that I heard one of them, but have no memory at all.
    Second Sight is excellent, but more laid back and rural. A must-have for me, but not as good as the first. I just got Going For A Song in the last two weeks, and it's still very good, but not up to the level of the first or the second. It has a couple tracks that take on a Funk edge, while avoiding full-on Funk.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Second Sight is excellent, but more laid back and rural. A must-have for me, but not as good as the first. I just got Going For A Song in the last two weeks, and it's still very good, but not up to the level of the first or the second.
    I fully concur.

The best on SS ("Julia", "Keyboard Waltz" etc.) equals the level of the debut, whereas Going treads more directly into folk/country-rock waters and sometimes reminds me much of the first album by US band Morning or even Iain Matthews' Southern Comfort. Some fine tunes, but the "prog" relevance is out.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Not prog, I know, but Annisette's voice was magnificent in Savage Rose. This, I think, is her finest performance - and also one of the saddest songs I have heard. Fine drumming too
    We walked arm in arm with madness, and every little breeze whispered of the secret love we had for our disease

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Second Sight is excellent, but more laid back and rural. A must-have for me, but not as good as the first. I just got Going For A Song in the last two weeks, and it's still very good, but not up to the level of the first or the second. It has a couple tracks that take on a Funk edge, while avoiding full-on Funk.
    Given GfaS's catastrophic rating average on both PA, RYM and G2K, I wouldn't want to own it, therefore I'm wondering if acquiring only SS would do (as opposed to the future Esoteric reissue) since I've already owned the debut for two decades or more

How are the bonus tracks on the Karma reissue of SS??

I fully concur.

The best on SS ("Julia", "Keyboard Waltz" etc.) equals the level of the debut, whereas Going treads more directly into folk/country-rock waters and sometimes reminds me much of the first album by US band Morning or even Iain Matthews' Southern Comfort. Some fine tunes, but the "prog" relevance is out.
    case nearly closed, really!!
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Living On The Hill – A Danish Underground Trip 1967-1974, Various Artists, 3CD
    Various Artists

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/...s-artists-2cd/

I have extremely well feelings about some of the songs on this, and the instrumental title track alone tells so many words; you'll have a VERY hard time coming up with more beautiful music by a Scandinavian 70s rock band:

You're such an icehole!

Quote Originally Posted by Munster View Post
    Not prog, I know, but Annisette's voice was magnificent in Savage Rose. This, I think, is her finest performance - and also one of the saddest songs I have heard. Fine drumming too
    They were really good at sad songs. Wild Child is one of the saddest albums I have ever heard.

I’d argue that their most “progressive” are probably their first three albums, where their blend of Jefferson Airplane, Procol Harum, R&B and a number of other styles came across as very fresh and unique. Mind you, they never sounded like anyone but themselves, but most of their later albums could be classified as “folk” or “blues-rock” or “Dixieland jazz/gospel” (Babylon, which apparently really pissed off Polydor!) or whatever. Exceptions are the ballet music album Dødens triumf and the first album without Anders Koppel, Solen var også din; which to me sounds like Popol Vuh!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Well, what about this: Etcetera , track "Gongtric "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20FXc463ivM

Quote Originally Posted by redlum View Post
    Well, what about this: Etcetera , track "Gongtric "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20FXc463ivM
    Interesting! I have never heard about them.
    The fate of many good musicians of the time.

Just got some information on Andorra, a band that released its debut on April Records.
    Sounds nice: modern jazz/rock/fusion.
    Here's the track Manifolk

Danish indie jazz band Andorra.

Peter Kohlmetz Møller- keys
    Mads la Cour - Flugelhorn
    Simon Krebs - Guitar
    Morten Jørgensen - Bass
    Nikolaj Bundvig - Drums

Sound: Aske Bode
    Video: Jesper Van
    Recorded February 2021 at Svendborg Theater, Denmark.

Speaking of Savage Rose, Anders Koppel’s solo album Aftenlandet & Regnbuefuglen, a really nice chamber-prog release:

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Just got some information on Andorra, a band that released its debut on April Records.
    Sounds nice: modern jazz/rock/fusion.
    Here's the track Manifolk

Danish indie jazz band Andorra.

Peter Kohlmetz Møller- keys
    Mads la Cour - Flugelhorn
    Simon Krebs - Guitar
    Morten Jørgensen - Bass
    Nikolaj Bundvig - Drums

Sound: Aske Bode
    Video: Jesper Van
    Recorded February 2021 at Svendborg Theater, Denmark.
    This Andorra is a smashing album. The exact type of music I am mostly into at the moment. The S&H charge to Canada is atrocious, but I may just have to bite the bullet and order it on the band's Bandcamp page because I could not find the album anywhere else. Thanks for the recommendation. Amazing find.

Quote Originally Posted by Zalmoxe View Post
    This Andorra is a smashing album. The exact type of music I am mostly into at the moment. The S&H charge to Canada is atrocious, but I may just have to bite the bullet and order it on the band's Bandcamp page because I could not find the album anywhere else. Thanks for the recommendation. Amazing find.
    I got the information on this band from a 2-weekly Dutch newsletter, which contains reviews, interviews, concert-talk etc. Maybe a google-translate may help: http://www.jazzflits.nl/

Just got the Andorra-CD: fine modern adventurous jazz-rock. With a nice review by Palle Mikkelborg on the cover.
    For those who like strange instruments: Peter Kohlmetz Møller uses the Ondes Martenot in a couple of tunes, next to his Fender Rhodes and other keyboards.
    The following YT shows he used that instrument in classical settings too:

And here's an introduction to the instrument:

Some more information on Andorra: Drummer Nikolaj Bundvig also played drums on a couple of tracks on Polichinelle (10th Anniversary Edition) by The Prayer Boat and Attic Faith, the first album by Emmett Tinley, the front-man of The Prayer Boat.

Just got the Andorra-CD: fine modern adventurous jazz-rock. With a nice review by Palle Mikkelborg on the cover.
    I ended up ordering my CD on their Bandcamp page. I cried when I saw the S&H fee but couldn't really miss on an album this good. While the CD is on its way, I was able to listed to the MP3s that I got with my purchase. I wish it was 70 minutes instead of only 41. Thanks again for a fantastic recommendation. If you have more like this, send them my way. Also from Denmark I really enjoyed Morten Schantz's Godspeed, released about 4-5 years ago. Not sure if you are familiar with that album. Quite a few clips on YT. Here is the title track:

Great album (also scandinavian jazz with prog elements)

These Emborg songs are very nice (especially the second one) but the album released in 1979 has never been issued on CD, so clips on YT is the only chance to get to hear the music. Bummer

Quote Originally Posted by Zalmoxe View Post
    I ended up ordering my CD on their Bandcamp page. I cried when I saw the S&H fee but couldn't really miss on an album this good. While the CD is on its way, I was able to listed to the MP3s that I got with my purchase. I wish it was 70 minutes instead of only 41. Thanks again for a fantastic recommendation. If you have more like this, send them my way. Also from Denmark I really enjoyed Morten Schantz's Godspeed, released about 4-5 years ago. Not sure if you are familiar with that album. Quite a few clips on YT. Here is the title track:

Thanks. Yes, I have bought Godspeed in 2017. Can't remember on who's recommendation though. Lots of great keyboard-playing!
    Not Danish but Dutch is Matthijs Geerts' Lost In Reverse (recommended in another thread). More or less in the same vein as Andorra, but with sax in stead of trumpet/Flugelhorn.