Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Results 126 to 135 of 135

Thread: Danish Prog Recommendations ?

  1. #126
    Member Zeuhlmate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    4,749
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I somehow always thought him to be a Lebanese ping-pong player.

    I believe Zeuhlmate's point was that whereas some leftist rockers kept their Ho Chi Minh-banners high as a token to "liberation-aspects" of the global Marxist-Leninist movement during the 70s, others eventually did indeed fall down on the Maoist (i.e. anti-Soviet) side of things, by which their affiliation tipped over the side - as with Savage Rose's grotesque support for Albania's dictator Enver Hoxha - a man who'd proceed to have dozens of his own citizens executed for merely listening to "western decadent popular music" on the radio as late as the early 80s. And the Maoist movement was -significant- in Scandinavia, with substantial support for (Mao's apostle) Pol Pot among (especially) Norwegian and Danish radical academics/students etc. who'd later become influential in society and in many cases still are.


    As I recall it you had in Norway even a political party that VERY late discovered that Pol Pot wasn't all bliss and honky dory. Everybody else knew.

  2. #127
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Interesting post, though somewhat dangerous as it flirts with the anti-politics policy of the site,
    Not really, Hugues. It's all historical information - not political suggestion. We're (luckily) allowed to discuss political stances of artists (be them HCow, RWaters, CVander, Area, DCrosby, RWyatt or TNugent) in a historical perspective, but not to argue from a personal one.

    And speaking as an historian myself, Scandinavia was special in that the social-democratic model inherently opened for elementary acceptance of ideological adherences that might have appeared overtly extreme anywhere else but exactly here. And many (pseudo-)former Pol Pot-supporters kept much of their political mentality intact while later joining established labour parties heading for office, even upholding positions as ministers of government et al. Scandinavia, as such, -is- a peculiar place.

    Anyway, enough on Prog Pot & Pol Rock & co. now. Let's get back on track with that virus thing. As well as Danish progressive.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

  3. #128
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    The Day of Phoenix also illustrate how strangely original an approach much of this music took to harmony, melody and general "vibe". Their first album is fascinatingly different from just about anything else I ever heard out of Scandinavia (or most of Europe) at the time, and particularly in terms of that bizarre mixture of rawness and experimental intricacy. And they had an amazingly talented vocalist in Hans Lauridsen, whose voice here is almost ghostly in its timbre.


    Both Day Of Phoenix' albums will be rereleased by Esoteric Recordings as a double-CD end of September titled Mind Funeral - The Recordings 1968-1972.

  4. #129
    Member Zeuhlmate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    4,749
    Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Both Day Of Phoenix' albums will be rereleased by Esoteric Recordings as a double-CD end of September titled Mind Funeral - The Recordings 1968-1972.
    This one too

    Culpeper’s Orchard 'Mountain Music – The Polydor Recordings 1970-1973' (2CD Remastered & Expanded Edition)
    Esoteric Recordings is pleased to announce the release of a new re-mastered 2 CD set by legendary cult Danish Progressive Rock band CULPEPER’S ORCHARD, “Mountain Music – The Polydor Recordings 1971 – 1973”. Featuring the albums 'Culpeper's Orchard', 'Second Sight'and 'Going For A Song' plus 4 rare bonus tracks two of which are previously unreleased on CD.

    Release Date 30th October 2020
    ECLEC22742

  5. #130
    That's Mr. to you, Sir!! Trane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    in a cosmic jazzy-groove around Brussels
    Posts
    4,223
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    This one too

    Culpeper’s Orchard 'Mountain Music – The Polydor Recordings 1970-1973' (2CD Remastered & Expanded Edition)
    Esoteric Recordings is pleased to announce the release of a new re-mastered 2 CD set by legendary cult Danish Progressive Rock band CULPEPER’S ORCHARD, “Mountain Music – The Polydor Recordings 1971 – 1973”. Featuring the albums 'Culpeper's Orchard', 'Second Sight'and 'Going For A Song' plus 4 rare bonus tracks two of which are previously unreleased on CD.

    Release Date 30th October 2020
    ECLEC22742
    how are those two albums?? are they even coming to the waist height of their debut album?

    my notes show that I heard one of them, but have no memory at all.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

  6. #131
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Planet Lovetron
    Posts
    7,475
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    how are those two albums?? are they even coming to the waist height of their debut album?

    my notes show that I heard one of them, but have no memory at all.
    Second Sight is excellent, but more laid back and rural. A must-have for me, but not as good as the first. I just got Going For A Song in the last two weeks, and it's still very good, but not up to the level of the first or the second. It has a couple tracks that take on a Funk edge, while avoiding full-on Funk.
    He did not know that the sword he'd hold, would turn his priceless empire into fool's gold...

    http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

  7. #132
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Second Sight is excellent, but more laid back and rural. A must-have for me, but not as good as the first. I just got Going For A Song in the last two weeks, and it's still very good, but not up to the level of the first or the second.
    I fully concur.

    The best on SS ("Julia", "Keyboard Waltz" etc.) equals the level of the debut, whereas Going treads more directly into folk/country-rock waters and sometimes reminds me much of the first album by US band Morning or even Iain Matthews' Southern Comfort. Some fine tunes, but the "prog" relevance is out.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

  8. #133
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Deepest Surrey, UK
    Posts
    204


    Not prog, I know, but Annisette's voice was magnificent in Savage Rose. This, I think, is her finest performance - and also one of the saddest songs I have heard. Fine drumming too
    The more you know you know you don't know what you know

  9. #134
    That's Mr. to you, Sir!! Trane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    in a cosmic jazzy-groove around Brussels
    Posts
    4,223
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Second Sight is excellent, but more laid back and rural. A must-have for me, but not as good as the first. I just got Going For A Song in the last two weeks, and it's still very good, but not up to the level of the first or the second. It has a couple tracks that take on a Funk edge, while avoiding full-on Funk.
    Given GfaS's catastrophic rating average on both PA, RYM and G2K, I wouldn't want to own it, therefore I'm wondering if acquiring only SS would do (as opposed to the future Esoteric reissue) since I've already owned the debut for two decades or more

    How are the bonus tracks on the Karma reissue of SS??

    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I fully concur.

    The best on SS ("Julia", "Keyboard Waltz" etc.) equals the level of the debut, whereas Going treads more directly into folk/country-rock waters and sometimes reminds me much of the first album by US band Morning or even Iain Matthews' Southern Comfort. Some fine tunes, but the "prog" relevance is out.
    case nearly closed, really!!
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

  10. #135
    Member Zeuhlmate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    4,749
    Living On The Hill – A Danish Underground Trip 1967-1974, Various Artists, 3CD
    Various Artists

    https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/...s-artists-2cd/

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •