Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Danish Prog Recommendations ?

^

Lotsa good stuff in those packages, but I wouldn't buy them for the Gasolin'!

Would love to see a CD of Furekåben, though. And Financial Tycoon by Coma, of course. And Coronarias Dans.

And, obviously, those first Olsen Bros records - very essential.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

If you are danish the first Gasolin album has an atmosphere and som copenhagen-local-coloring that is a part of us copenhageners
    But of course there are albums I dont like at all, and albums I miss.
    The Rainbow band album here is with the original singer Lars Bisgaard, but the re-recording with Allan Mortensen is better.

Luckily - The Olsen Bros are NOT there

http://www.israbox.info/1146509155-v...33cd-2010.html (the free download here must be a trap)

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    If you are danish the first Gasolin album has an atmosphere and som copenhagen-local-coloring that is a part of us copenhageners
    I know, and it's a good rock'n'roll album. Growing up, Gasolin' was the only well known Danish rock group in Norway, so I was completely overexposed to them - and indeed to Kim Larsen's solo carreer in the 80s. But then again, Sanne Salomonsen sings on the Mo-I-Rana album (having eloped at 15 to Christiania in order to live with Hans Lauridsen, I believe)...
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

He actually did a 'single' before Gasolin that most people never heard; The lady on the roof: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hPn_kmOdO8 and B-side https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbINj5ltBAo
    The guitarist is from Steppeulvene and the bassplayer is from Young Flowers - Most probably WAY to obscure for this forum

AFAIK not Hans Lauridsen - Sanne Salomonsen lived with the bassplayer from Rainbow band/Midnight sun Bo Stief (he went 'on' to fusion and jazz) - she had a good voice, but I was never interested in her music.

The guitarist is from Steppeulvene and the bassplayer is from Young Flowers - Most probably WAY to obscure for this forum
    I've got both YF albums on (reissue) vinyl. They are of course *seminal* if you're into the post-Cream/Hendrix style of acid blues-rock and were obviously HIGHLY influential on much of what came after in Danish rock music. The Steppeulvene record is fine if you know a bittu Danish and catch the lyrics (some of which are quite hilarious), but I suspect the beat/Dylan-wannabe style of the music wouldn't appeal to many collectors of progressive/whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Bake 1 View Post
    And a Secret Oyster relative:

I scored this one (Coronia Dans , the Steeplechase version) for 8.00€ today, just after getting an earful of Guillaume Perret & Electric Epic at the Brosella festival.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

re: Coronarias Dans, theres also their less Prog/more Jazz first album Breathe
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

My original opinion on Gasolin was that they sucked. Based on 2, I thought, “these guys would be considered an amateurish garage band if they were from any other country.”

Then I heard this song:

...and suddenly the adulation made sense!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Zeuhlmate mentions, that Coma sax player, Jakob Mygind, is working together with me and my group, Taylor's Universe, these days - but he should as well add Coma's drummer, virtuoso Klaus Thrane, who has now been performing on my latest seven albums - with a new one to be released very soon! This new album, titled 'Across the Universe', will contain a selection of reworked 'highlights' from the group's more recent repertoire, and it will feature multi-instrumentalist Frank Carvalho (of Etcetera) and guitar maestro John Sund! Cheers from Robin Taylor!

John Sund is a marvellous choice !
    You are absolutely right about Thrane. In the days of Coma, I always thought of him as the Danish Phill Collins (in Brand X mode).

^So, any idea why they never got to reissue Financial Tycoon?

No valid ideas. I assume it has to do with the small marked in DK for that sort of music today. And perhaps the tapes are gone...

Robin could eventually ask Jakob Mygind and Klaus Thrane ?

CRAZY WOMEN - Carrie Ann + Hey Joe - Rare Danish Girl Garage 1967

^ Ace!

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    ^So, any idea why they never got to reissue Financial Tycoon?
    - that is desperately in need of a reissue!

I just played the debut Day of Phoenix album all-way-through twice in a row yesterday, and I must definitely say that it's an even more interesting record than I remembered. Very original band, in fact. And surprisingly tight.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I just played the debut Day of Phoenix album all-way-through twice in a row yesterday, and I must definitely say that it's an even more interesting record than I remembered. Very original band, in fact. And surprisingly tight.
    Totally agree - great original album!

Unfortunately the second one "The Neighbours son" is not as unique in style. Sounds much more mainstream westcoast inspired, I only like 1 track . Didn't help that Tony Reeves produced.

Todays 20 Best Danish Prog Bands
    By Prog Sphere on April 20, 2017

http://www.prog-sphere.com/specials/...sh-prog-bands/

outside Oresund, I 've never even read of their names, let alone having heard their music

But I'll give it a listen tomorrow (no time today, I'm heading to a prog festival)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Causa Sui and Taylors Universe have been mentioned a couple of times.

Most of the bands I have not heard of (probably an age phenomena).

As posted in another thread: Morten Schantz and his new album Godspeed.

Todays 20 Best Danish Prog Bands
    Family Underground are one of the best kept secrets of the 00s.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Despite the cover - not bad (never heard about them before)

The Savage Rose 1972 piece "Byen vågner" from the "Dødens Triumf" album was one of the first prog moments in my life - went on repeat many times...

My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    outside Oresund, I 've never even read of their names, let alone having heard their music
    Under Byen are -essential- cinematic, near-surreal art-rock/pop, sometimes quite advanced in harmony, structure and general sonics. Causa Sui, Papir and Family Underground are all excellent, with Anubis Gate, Royal Hunt and Afenginn very, very good. I'm surprised the list doesn't mention names like On Trial or Spids Nøgenhat at all, but presumably they're too "old" or established, both emanating from the now defunct Christiania scene of the mid-90s. There's also a significant, overlapping free-form experimental rock/jazz scene sporting acts like Svin, Magnus Fra Gaarden, Klimaforandringer et al. and post-rock bands like Slarafenland, Efterklang and Lis Ær Stille.

This is all worth hearing.