Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Danish Prog Recommendations ?

I think Culpeper's Orchard's second album, Second Sight, is very good and should be investigated after absorbing the first one.

Quote Originally Posted by yoyiceu View Post
    I think Culpeper's Orchard's second album, Second Sight, is very good and should be investigated after absorbing the first one.
    Yep. I liked it enough to purchase the original LP after already having the CD reissue.
    He did not know that the sword he'd hold, would turn his priceless empire into fool's gold...

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    +1 to Jonas Munk's Pan, the follow-up Absorb/Fabric/Cascade is worthy too.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Yep. I liked it enough to purchase the original LP after already having the CD reissue.
    I can't remember if it was their second or their third album I heard in the late 90's, but I have memories that it was completely different (and not nearly as good) than their great debut.. a real disapppointment, really!!
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I think the lack of symph in Scandinavia in the 70s is not that we didn't like it, it's more a consequence of the big sympho bands not touring here. I don't know the facts from Denmark (or Norway), but Genesis visited Sweden for the first time in 1976, Yes didn't come here until 1976 too, I think (apart from a concert in 1970 before their heydays). King Crimson's first concert in Sweden was in 2003. Don't know about ELP. For some reason Gentle Giant is (maybe even Henry Cow and associated bands) more well known in Sweden than King Crimson. All this, I think, because of the impact, or lack thereof, of touring.
    Check out my concert videos on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/broadaccent

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    This sounds interesting. Album suggestion? Thx man
    I love all their albums (there arent so many) but my favourite and also most "wyatt"ish is "Go get some".
    I wish I could link to a YT clip but there is only one song from this album and it is not the most representative (as usually is the situation with "hit" singles) :

www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOo3FYWzIQU

PS the Wyatt connection is probably only in my head, still, I think this band is worth a listen

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I can't remember if it was their second or their third album I heard in the late 90's, but I have memories that it was completely different (and not nearly as good) than their great debut.. a real disapppointment, really!!
    'Second Sight' is not completely different. It has a more laid back atmosphere as it adds more Folk and some Country-Rock to the proceedings, but there is some similarity to the first. No, it's not as good as the first, but the first is probably in my top 10, so I would say that about a lot of very nice albums.

I don't have the 3rd, but iirc, word is it moves even further away from the sound of the first, and as a result gets panned by most Prog reviewers. I have their 4th, but haven't spun that one yet.
    He did not know that the sword he'd hold, would turn his priceless empire into fool's gold...

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Their second album more or less follows the same path as their first, although maybe its softer, folkier and the songs are not up to the same level of quality. For their third, Going For a Song, only Cy Nicklin remained from the original lineup -the rest of the band, I think, formed Mo-i-rana- and the sound changed abuptly, becoming country rock. A fourth album, in which they reduced their name to just Culpepper, was just a pop record.

Quote Originally Posted by yoyiceu
    A fourth album, in which they reduced their name to just Culpepper, was just a pop record.
    But a good pop record! Their knack for melody really shined on that one. I prefer it to the second and the third albums that had them unsuccessfully trying to rehash the formula of the first.

By the way, I would love to sometime read an in depth interview with Cy Nicklin, one of those great underground figures from 1960's 70's rock and prog: British, started as a folk singer-player in England (tangentially involved with Fairport and Sandy Denny), emigrated to Denmark where he founded a kind of Peter, Paul and Mary folk trio (with frenchman Robert Levalliere, who afterwards founded Pan) and Maia, a girl singer, which whom he recorded two albums. After Culpepers Orchard, from what I've read, he collaborated with former Secret Oyster sax player Karsten Vogel's jazz groups and, for many years, has been -or was- tour manager for the European Jazz Orchestra, also based in Denmark.

'Second Sight' is not completely different. It has a more laid back atmosphere as it adds more Folk and some Country-Rock to the proceedings, but there is some similarity to the first.
    The first two tracks on Second Sight, "Julia" and "Keyboard Waltz", are the finest songs they EVER produced (IMO), with a dreamy sense of positive aura that I can't even begin to describe. The album also had the beautiful but sad "Autumn of it All". If only the rest of the album had been as rewarding...

"Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

-the rest of the band, I think, formed Mo-i-rana-
    Although not really a progressive rock record at all, this is still one of my fave albums from Denmark. They merged from Culpeper's and the Day of Phoenix to make one of the most romantic and atmospheric 70s "folky rock'n'roll" albums I know. I have extremely well feelings about some of the songs on this, and the instrumental title track alone tells so many words; you'll have a VERY hard time coming up with more beautiful music by a Scandinavian 70s rock band:

Anyone who digs this will want to check out the wonderful one-off album by Norwegian band Hole in the Wall (from my initial hometown of Bergen!) and the entire discography of British underground pub/psych heroes Help Yourself (who had a great compilation released by Esoteric last year).
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

By the way, I would love to sometime read an in depth interview with Cy Nicklin, one of those great underground figures from 1960's 70's rock and prog: British, started as a folk singer-player in England (tangentially involved with Fairport and Sandy Denny), emigrated to Denmark where he founded a kind of Peter, Paul and Mary folk trio (with frenchman Robert Levalliere, who afterwards founded Pan) and Maia, a girl singer, which whom he recorded two albums. After Culpepers Orchard, from what I've read, he collaborated with former Secret Oyster sax player Karsten Vogel's jazz groups and, for many years, has been -or was- tour manager for the European Jazz Orchestra, also based in Denmark.
    You'll want to pick up the Summer 2014 issue of Flashback (Issue 5) then. It has an 11 page feature on Culpeper's Orchard which includes comments from Cy Nicklin, as well as photos.

They aren't cheap, but Flashback is a periodical that is more like a book than a magazine, all gloss & color, with much relevant information. Issue 5 also has articles on Arcadium and Room. It's what Richard Morton Jack has been up to since the publication of Galactic Ramble. You can purchase back issues direct, but Forced Exposure should have them, and it looks like itunes & Google have digital versions as well.

http://www.flashbackmag.com/

http://galacticramble.blogspot.com/2...-magazine.html

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Anyone who digs this will want to check out the wonderful one-off album by Norwegian band Hole in the Wall (from my initial hometown of Bergen!)
    Just included this in a CD order this past Friday.

Just included this in a CD order this past Friday.
    It's a damn fine listen, and one of those records that take a grip on you and basically won't let go until it's become a part of who you are. IMHO, this is one of the 10 best Norwegian albums of all time. My friend Tormod Opedal of Panorama/Tatra records reissued this on 500 copies of vinyl last year, and they've been doing quite well out there.

The first two tracks on Second Sight, "Julia" and "Keyboard Waltz", are the finest songs they EVER produced (IMO), with a dreamy sense of positive aura that I can't even begin to describe. The album also had the beautiful but sad "Autumn of it All". If only the rest of the album had been as rewarding...

Well, most likely after these samples above , it was theirthird album I must've heard back then
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Thanks. I'll check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Smörgåsbord View Post
    I think the lack of symph in Scandinavia in the 70s is not that we didn't like it, it's more a consequence of the big sympho bands not touring here.
    Well, little "symph" in Norway and Denmark (or Iceland, for that matter) - but LOTS in Finland and Sweden, and great ones too!

It's a damn fine listen, and one of those records that take a grip on you and basically won't let go until it's become a part of who you are. IMHO, this is one of the 10 best Norwegian albums of all time. My friend Tormod Opedal of Panorama/Tatra records reissued this on 500 copies of vinyl last year, and they've been doing quite well out there.
    Richard, do you have the Pan CD release from '94, or at least familiar with it? My copy has a "booklet" with front and back cover, but blank white inside the fold, so I'm wondering if it's a counterfeit. I do see a review on RYM that has the same edition, so maybe it's how it was issued. Do you have any light to shed on this? TIA.

Well, little "symph" in Norway and Denmark (or Iceland, for that matter) - but LOTS in Finland and Sweden, and great ones too!
    I can think of a number of examples from Norway (Octopus, Déjà-vu, Pluto, Popol Ace and selected albums by Ruphus and Høst) but barely any from Denmark. Most of what gets termed “prog” from Denmark is really psych/jam/folk-rock.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Its because we danes dont like capes and wizard hats.

Culpeper's Orchard "Second Sight" could easily have been their finest album but failed by a notch.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Its because we danes dont like capes and wizard hats.
    The capes always get tangled up in the bicycle chains right?

Richard, do you have the Pan CD release from '94, or at least familiar with it? My copy has a "booklet" with front and back cover, but blank white inside the fold, so I'm wondering if it's a counterfeit.
    Sounds like it just might be. This being said, I lost my CD nearly 20 years ago to one of my girlfriends (what a thing to nick off your man!) - so I'm stuck with my Little Wing of Refugees vinyl edition of it now. But hot damn, that's a beauty! High quality pressing, I'd say, and especially considering that you're not very likely to ever come across an original of this. In Denmark, the Pan album is a lot scarcer than the legendary one by Steppeulvene, for instance. While I've seen the latter several times (even here in Oslo), I've never ever come across a copy of a Pan original.

For cheap money you can get 60 CD's with danish rock-prog-psych-whatever including Pan
    It was oop shortly after first batch, but one of my friends have just bought it from new, from an online shop so I believe they are in print again.

There are 3 boxes (green, beige and blue/purple). The linernotes are not detailed. Pan is in the purple box.
    http://www.discogs.com/Various-Dansk...elease/5385133
    http://www.discogs.com/Various-Dansk...elease/5377607
    http://www.discogs.com/Various-Dansk...elease/5391571
    Last edited by Zeuhlmate; 07-12-2015 at 04:39 PM.