Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Danish Prog Recommendations ?

Have to admit, the Danes didn’t seem to really “get” prog. A lot of what gets called “prog” is really psych/hippie music, and a lot of stuff that nabs high rankings (Hurdy-Gurdy, Day of Phoenix, Culpeper’s Orchard, Alrune Rod) does absolutely nothing for me. More for fans of the Grateful Dead than stuff like Yes or King Crimson. Though there’s some proto-prog stuff from Denmark that’s first rate. The early Savage Rose stuff, which is along the lines of Procol Harum mixed with the West Coast psych scene (Big Brother, Jefferson Airplane, etc.). They went off in a more psychedelic folk-rock mixed with soul-gospel sound later (which I also liked, but it’s a stretch to call it “prog”), then Thomas and Annisette ditched the rest of the band, sold all their possessions save for a cheap upright piano and moved to Christiania, switching to Danish-language lyrics in the process. Weirdly, the first fruit of this change was Solen var også din, which sounded of all things like Popol Vuh!

Adjacent and very much worth your while is Aftenlandet & Regnbuefuglen, an album of soundtrack music from ex-Savage Rose keyboardist Anders Koppel. It sounds rather like Pekka Pohjola.

Ache have a couple of nice proto-prog records with good organ playing. They did a sort of DSOTM/APP-like concept album (albeit with that usual Nordic depressive feel) called Pictures From Cyclus 7 later on.

One thing Denmark did very well was jazz rock/fusion. Burnin’ Red Ivanhoe started off in the Soft Machine vein, albeit mixed with a sort of blues-rock feel. Apparently it was sax player/organist Karsten Vogel who was largely responsible for the jazzy feel, as he split off to form the excellent fusion group Secret Oyster after the band broke up. Four albums, all worthwhile. There’s also Dr. Dopo Jam, who made three albums in the fusion Zappa vein that are quite superb.

But you’re not going to find much in the way of proggy-prog from Denmark. As close as you’re likely to get are the two albums of rather cheesy classical-rock from Iron Duke. Well, there’s also the concept album from the extremely obscure Akropolis, which I guess is similar to the German school of prog (Novalis, Grobschnitt et al) mixed with Deep Purple (the singer sounds almost EXACTLY like Ian Gillan in places). And later on there was a band called Zaragon, who released a sympho-prog album circa early 80s. I think their album was called No Return. That’s pretty much it.
    Last edited by Progbear; 06-25-2015 at 07:56 PM.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

heh... just reading the thread now and just as expected, Culpeper is the fav

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    Papir
    I didnt know Papir was Danish... great new band there!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Pr33t View Post
    Out of curiosity, what TV shows were you watching? I recently watched Klovn, which is basically the Danish Curb Your Enthusiasm, and quite funny.
    The shows are/were : Rita , Dicte , Borgen

ps: thanks everyone for the recommendations. Had fun today having a bunch of this music as a back drop to my work day. I am currently wishing I had been born in Scandinavia! - haha.
    Genuine prog album from back in the day! - *free download* : masquepremiere.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Have to admit, the Danes didn’t seem to really “get” prog. A lot of what gets called “prog” is really psych/hippie music [...] you’re not going to find much in the way of proggy-prog from Denmark. [...] cheesy classical-rock from Iron Duke. Well, there’s also the concept album from the extremely obscure Akropolis [...] And later on there was a band called Zaragon, who released a sympho-prog album circa early 80s. I think their album was called No Return. That’s pretty much it.
    We've already written about the lack of "proggy-prog" or rather "symph" on several instances in this thread, so why keep stressing this? Practically only 1/4 of all "prog" of the 70s was of this sort, so perhaps it's time to stop assuming that everyone on earth should insist on associating it squarely with the long gone antic of "Genesis/Yes/ELP" and not much else - which is exactly why so many forward-thinking rock fans still seem to shun it and laugh at its contemporary semantic pretext, and quite rightly so.

As for the "classical prog" configuration in Denmark, you left out the rather dodgy Agathorn. I completely agree that Iron Duke were somewhat horrible, tho'...
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear
    Have to admit, the Danes didn’t seem to really “get” prog. A lot of what gets called “prog” is really psych/hippie music, and a lot of stuff that nabs high rankings (Hurdy-Gurdy, Day of Phoenix, Culpeper’s Orchard, Alrune Rod) does absolutely nothing for me. More for fans of the Grateful Dead than stuff like Yes or King Crimson.
    If Yes is not the ultimate hippie music, I don't know what is.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor
    Then there was the highly underrated (and more uplifting) Barbarella record from 1975, one of the very few ones (next to Alrune Rod and a handful of others) with vox in their native tongue
    By the way, I found the album and guess what - my copy is the English-languaged version called "First Love"! Maybe that's why it didn't leave a lasting impression. Apparently all tracks are the same, but they sound much more pedestrian when sung in English. This can be a sidenote for the discussion we were having in the Uphill Work thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Levgan View Post
    my copy is the English-languaged version called "First Love"! Maybe that's why it didn't leave a lasting impression. Apparently all tracks are the same, but they sound much more pedestrian when sung in English.
    Ha, ha! I've only heard one track from that English version, and you're absolutely right - they came off sounding far more anonymous. Of course, it helps to understand Danish to see the (sometimes immense) charm of those words, but I can't see them produce equally great ones in English.

Danish vocals were one of the main assets of Alrune Rod. The over-the-top hazey dope-feel of their theatrical acid rock takes on a wholly different dimension when you hear what Leif Roden was singing about. The debut album in particular is intense with an almost sexual sense of ecstatic energy.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

If you want full blown prog in Denmark, go with AKROPOLIS:

It's the 3rd time I'm mentining this album in a week...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

^
    Was that one ever reissued, Spyros? Or even booted?

I almost went for a copy of that Akropolis a while ago, but decided to try and wait for a cheaper copy.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    @Pr33t
    Before 1986 there was only one (1) channel in Denmark unless you lived near Sweden or Germany.
    I dont watch many danish shows/sitcoms so I cant really say whats good. I know Klovn has got a reputation, I have seen some of it, but found it more embarrasing than fun, perhaps wrongly, but I listen more to radio (talk) than I watch TV. And I prefer when humor kicks the trendy or those in power (politicians or stinking rich) and not the regular sods around. Its too easy.
    Oh, it's definitely of the cringe worthy variety of comedy. This one does a good job of making fun of themselves enough - whenever they're mean or offensive, it always comes back to bite them in the ass.

Quote Originally Posted by ProgMusician View Post
    The shows are/were : Rita , Dicte , Borgen
    Cool, I've seen some of these recommended to me on Netflix - I'll have to check them out!

Has nobody mentioned Taylor's Universe? They've cranked out 14 albums in the last 20 years. Good instrumental prog.

TU - I did in post 4 and suggested this which I find rather good: https://robintaylorsuniverse.bandcam...album/evidence

Another band

http://www.troldspejlet.dk/musikken/lyt-til-musikken

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    ^
    Was that one ever reissued, Spyros? Or even booted?
    Nope on both questions my friend.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Not prog, but I really love a danish band called Tys Tys, and get a strong melancholic Robert Wyatt vibe from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    We've already written about the lack of "proggy-prog" or rather "symph" on several instances in this thread, so why keep stressing this? Practically only 1/4 of all "prog" of the 70s was of this sort, so perhaps it's time to stop assuming that everyone on earth should insist on associating it squarely with the long gone antic of "Genesis/Yes/ELP" and not much else
    heh... QFT... and more like only 20% Symph back in the day with all the other Prog styles going full steam ahead
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

A band worth mentioning is Hunk Ai. The only one I know of that has also some zeuhl influences. They made 2 albums: s/t and Alene Hjemme.

Cheers, Peter

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    Not prog, but I really love a danish band called Tys Tys, and get a strong melancholic Robert Wyatt vibe from them.
    This sounds interesting. Album suggestion? Thx man

I just mentioned this in the best of 2015 thread but Frisk Frugt: Den Europæiske Spejlbue is my favourite album of this year.

I think it's beautiful, psychedelic, expansive, fun and completely unique while being very much based on traditional Danish music.

I am at a loss to describe it, it's certainly progressive, features a mixture of orchestral and home made instruments.

Here's a short piece from it.
    http://youtu.be/UZ00Rdyrha0

Quote Originally Posted by emperorken View Post
    Has nobody mentioned Taylor's Universe? They've cranked out 14 albums in the last 20 years. Good instrumental prog.
    That is the band with Pierre on violin? (Or is it Taylors Free Universe?)
    I was just at a party with Pierre last weekend. Nice guy :-)
    And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make.

Quote Originally Posted by Bake 1 View Post

Those two with Thor's Hammer are indeed stuff I still have to indulge in...

I suppose that Blue Sun's first two early 70's albums are the one to find... How are the mid-70's albums?

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    If you want full blown prog in Denmark, go with AKROPOLIS:

It's the 3rd time I'm mentining this album in a week...
    Indeed, what a terrible prog artwork cover
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

What about Afenngin? Wonderful Danish band and still around. Some great albums and great CD sleeves.

Quote Originally Posted by Rio-grant View Post
    A band worth mentioning is Hunk Ai. The only one I know of that has also some zeuhl influences.
    I've been looking for their records forever, but never succeeded at obtaining them! First heard them on one of the Recommended Records Quarterlies (1987 or '88, IIRC), and they're great there).

Another very rare Danish record worth seeking out (although getting almost impossible to locate nowadays), is the sole album by Masala Dosa.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Use Richard's list as a reference, and start with the first Culpeper's Orchard album. It's an all-timer.
    I agree and I would like to add a personal fondness for Blast Furnace and the 1st Secret Oyster.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I'm a bit late to the party, but these are among my favorites...

Natdamperen - Boogieman Eats Frikadeller: Excellent jazzy rock from 1976. I don't usually link to blog sites, but to my knowledge this has never been released in any form on CD.

http://prognotfrog.blogspot.com/2012...ikadeller.html

Thors Hammer - s/t (1971): Early jazz-inflected progressive music.

Jonas Munk - Pan: Modern day electronic music with vintage instruments. Very well done.
    Secret Oyster - Sea Son: Excellent series of symphonic/fusion mix. Sea Son is my favorite.
    Ache - De Homine Urbano: Early prog sound that is about the most solid from the country.
    Causa Sui - Summer Sessions: Present day stoner/space rock.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.