Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Assuming and prepping for the final, are we?

It was reported that if a foul begins outside the box but continues into the box, it's ref's discretion rather than a blown call. It's actually in the FIFA Magna Carta, they also reported. I'm not for an instant assuming that tv sports commentators are infallible, but......
    They are wrong in this case, the foul was clearly outside the box, and didn't continue into the box, single point of contact outside the box.

Prepping for the final? No, England are underdogs against Japan. Maybe the USA has used up their allocation of dodgy calls & luck in getting to the final.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Ian, stop hanging around Ed!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I have to reiterate, tho, that putting my girl Carli up front made all the difference the last two games. She's a fucking powerhouse when she's up front. And her assist to Kelly O'Hara? Fucking primo!
    I feel the same about Carli. I've been so bummed that Jill Ellis basically neutered her attacking style this year. Its about time she (Ellis) came to the realization that Carli is possibly the best offensive player we have and she needs to be near the front in attacking mode.

Did anyone see the Japan - England game? What a heartbreaker especially since I thought England outplayed Japan for most of the game. The good news is, tho, I think the US will have an easier game against Japan than they would have had against England.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    I feel the same about Carli. I've been so bummed that Jill Ellis basically neutered her attacking style this year. Its about time she (Ellis) came to the realization that Carli is possibly the best offensive player we have and she needs to be near the front in attacking mode.
    QFT!

I hate to say this but I've come to the opinion that Abby is past her prime enough that I wouldn't even use her as a sub. As for the other "subs", I think O'Hara and O'Reilly should be starting... I think. I know how good Cheney is but don't you think O'Hara should be in as well or even in place of? And what about O'Reilly? She's so fast and is a great baseline cross passer, maybe even as good as Rapinoe (another player I adore).

I had doubts about Morgan Brian but I payed a lot more attention to her during the Germany game and she proved herself to me. Ellis using her as a 5th D in the midfield was a stroke of genius.

I know a lot of people have been second guessing Ellis – I mean, hell, why did it take so long for her to come up with a starting lineup that really gelled? – but the last two games they've played Ellis has shown inspiration. Or was it desperation? Still, subbing Wambach for Rapinoe was odd. I get the sense that the team wants Abby to score more goals just so she could tie or better Marta's goal record in the WC. Why else would they have her kick the PK against Colombia (that she missed)?

So, if I were head coach – and I'm glad I'm not – I think this would be my starting lineup:

Krieger, Johnston, Sauerbrunn, Klingenberg
    O'Reilley, Brian, O'Hara
    Rodriguez (Morgan as sub), Lloyd, Rapinoe

The reason I'd use Morgan as a sub is because ARod's as fast as Morgan, Morgan hasn't proven herself better than ARod on offense, and Morgan definitely isn't as good on defense.

I'd also use Cheney as a sub for one of the midfielders.

BTW, what happened to LePeilbet and "Beuhldozer"? I find it hard to believe that neither was better than Chalupny, Engen, or Rampone.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

“From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Such a predictably typical way for an England team to get knocked out, I nearly laughed.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

So I've caught as many of the matches as possible, but it's difficult during the week due to time differences. I love the way Japan are playing and have been impressed by the US's improvement over the course of the tournament. As a former ref I agree with those who think Johnson's foul was an automatic Red and that the German foul later was a PK, occurred "in" the box.

Regardless, German shanked their PK, we put ours in AND that Loyd assist and goal was pure beauty.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Jimmy Kimmel, talking about the semifinals in the World Cup:

"That was some final four: Japan, Germany, the US, and England.

Sounds familiar, doesn't it?"

I can't say I've followed much, but I watched the U.S./Germany gsme and am in for the final.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I just watched a great commercial during the pre-match show that I've never seen before. It uses the poetry of Shel Silverstein ("Where The Sidewalk Ends") as a background to their soccer hype.

Would've been just another boring commercial without the reading of the poem over the tableau. Super Bowl commercial quality imo.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

USA!

USA is just kicking ass. Carli Lloyd already has a hat trick & USA is up 4-0 before the end of the 1st half.

The set up by Johnston on Lloyd's second goal was a thing of beauty!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Seven goals in the first hour, bizarre
    Ian

Congrats USA.

My girl Carli does it again!

Fucking A!!!!!!!!!

Well done USA, how to kill off a game in 15 minutes, that was a demonstration of brutal efficiency.
    Ian

I hate to say this but I've come to the opinion that Abby is past her prime enough that I wouldn't even use her as a sub.
    (snip)
    I had doubts about Morgan Brian but I payed a lot more attention to her during the Germany game and she proved herself to me. Ellis using her as a 5th D in the midfield was a stroke of genius.

I know a lot of people have been second guessing Ellis – I mean, hell, why did it take so long for her to come up with a starting lineup that really gelled? – but the last two games they've played Ellis has shown inspiration. Or was it desperation? Still, subbing Wambach for Rapinoe was odd.
    (snip)
    I think Ellis had a vision of this team being centered around the forwards while having a strong defense so she kept insisting that Lloyd be used not as an attacking midfielder but a defending one and to leave all the work to the 2 starting forwards. And, she wanted to make sure Wambach got her playing time. But as we've learned, Wambach just couldn't apply the pressure needed and none of the forwards seemed in synch during the tournament due to layoffs (Morgan injured, Leroux injured, Wambach not playing in club play, Rodriguez didn't get much playing time and Press, well she just didn't get much of a chance to play in the WC). It took awhile for Ellis to realize that this model wasn't going to work. All credit to her for changing things up but she should never have put Lloyd in as a defensive minded midfielder.

I agree with your comments about Morgan Brian. I never understood the love for her until now. She was perhaps the most solid of the midfielders both offensively and defensively (although Rapinoe was pretty fantastic too).

Happy that Abby gets to go out with her WC championship, but absolutely thrilled for Carli. She's been my favorite since the 08 Olympics and she had a game for the ages.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    Happy that Abby gets to go out with her WC championship, but absolutely thrilled for Carli. She's been my favorite since the 08 Olympics and she had a game for the ages.
    One of my faves, too and, yes, she did have a game for the ages. I actually missed the first goal. I mean, WhoTF expects a goal to be scored in 3 minutes? And then another 2 minutes later??? But that goal from 54 yards out? Un-fucking-believable! And so awesome! Only Carli would have the audacity to pull that off. I was thinking, "she has been a beast the last 2 or 3 games." Turns out, Ellis had been calling her that, as well. I don't think I've ever been happier for someone else's success. What's the opposite of schadenfreude? That's what I was feeling watching Carli kneeling on the pitch. Loved the way Heather O'Reilly slid in to hug her, too.

BTW, does Carli have about the most kissable lips you've ever seen?

Attachment 5624

Go here to vote for Carli for goal of the tournament: Carli Lloyd

BTW, if you delete your FIFA cookies after voting and then refresh your browser, you can vote more than once. I think I've voted about 15 times.

One of my faves, too and, yes, she did have a game for the ages. I actually missed the first goal. I mean, WhoTF expects a goal to be scored in 3 minutes? And then another 2 minutes later??? But that goal from 54 yards out? Un-fucking-believable! And so awesome! Only Carli would have the audacity to pull that off. I was thinking, "she has been a beast the last 2 or 3 games." Turns out, Ellis had been calling her that, as well. I don't think I've ever been happier for someone else's success. What's the opposite of schadenfreude? That's what I was feeling watching Carli kneeling on the pitch. Loved the way Heather O'Reilly slid in to hug her, too.

Left Sacramento CA at 1:30 Pacific with a plan to get home, 89 miles away, well before 4:00 - game time. Ran into serious traffic and arrived at 4:25 GAME OVER!

I got to see both second half goals and then the highlights. Lloyd's 54 yard shot was amazing and advantageous. I feel bad for keepers when that happens!
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

BTW, does Carli have about the most kissable lips you've ever seen?

Attachment 5624

No, that would be Tobin Heath
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

By the time I sat down to watch this game (7:10 EST), it was basically over. I stuck around to see the USA score two more and then turned it off. Congrats to the USA. They clearly had the best team in the tournament.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

WNT SI cover smaller.jpg

I think this is a really good cover with an excellent choice of players. I'm especially glad to see Carli holding the trophy.

They're apparently releasing 25 different covers, all featuring the USWNT. A first for SI.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally