Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: “The Shaming Of The True” LIVE – Performed by the Champions of Nothing

“The Shaming Of The True” LIVE – Performed by the Champions of Nothing

As a long time fan of Kevin Gilbert (and the Champs) I feel I’d be doing the world of music a big injustice if I didn't plug this. I'm excited to post this announcement and I hope it will spark some interest. The music is brilliant and the Champs put on a fantastic showing of this masterpiece and other KG tunes as well.

The Shaming Of The True LIVE
    January 19, 2013 at 7:00pm in CST
    Shank Hall in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

www.championsofnothing.com

Rich Poston and Department Of Revenge are signed on to open the show. If you're up for a rockin good show, come on, join us.

Karen
    Last edited by Fox; 12-31-2012 at 10:34 AM. Reason: add url

Uh, ok. I will.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

A great show. Should not be missed if in the area.
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

This gig was even listed in Maximum Ink, a monthly music paper in Madison that in addition to articles has listings for gigs in arenas, clubs & bars in WI.

If you live in Milwaukee or Madison or Fond du Lac or Racine/Kenosha and miss this very special night of one of the greatest rock operas ever written, by a musical visionary who died too young, shame on you.

The venue (Shank Hall) is quite intimate (350 max iirc), so get there early.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

Geezer, there is much truth to which you write. TSOTT is the greatest rock opera ever written and if you've not heard it do so immediately. And then come to the show.

Looking forward to seeing you and the lovely Kay. Save us a seat, hey?

I already purchased my megabus ticket (traveling from Minneapolis to Milwaukee and back) for this show. At this point, I'm assuming I won't need to purchase a ticket ahead of time as it doesn't appear tickets are for sale anyway
    http://www.ticketweb.com/snl/VenueLi...venueId=235395

But I've waited 8-13 years to see Kevin's music live, and finally I'll get that chance at this show.

I did check as well and found the same thing (the reason for my "get there early" comment). Please introduce yourself (or have we actually met & it's just my senility).

I'll be there, I'll be there, I WILL be there.

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    But I've waited 8-13 years to see Kevin's music live, and finally I'll get that chance at this show.
    You picked a good one to see. This could be the last “live” performance of TSOTT that anyone will see for a while. The 19th [heavy sigh] is the final run for the Champs. But no worries, I hear they plan to “kick the almighty god ass my friends.” It will be a very special evening indeed.

The band and fans are staying at the County Claire Irish Inn so book a room there if you haven’t already. http://www.countyclare-inn.com/

I'm not speaking about time here but sounds like "This one will go to 11"

I would love to see this if it weren't so far away. Good luck Luis (and friends)! I'm sure it will be a fantastic show.
    CalProg Presents: Stick Men & The Aristocrats - Jan 25, 2014
    CalProg Website

This will be a great time for us (the Champs). We will put on a sincerely heartfelt performance as this is what started our journey from There to Here.....One last time for KG. If you're on the wire about attending, what better than a nice chilly night indoors with cold or hot beverages of your choice and a Kevin Gilbert musical love affair. Come on out. Stop and say hello to us. Then sit your ass down, drink and listen and smile. Foot tapping allowed.

Waiting For The Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    You picked a good one to see. This could be the last “live” performance of TSOTT that anyone will see for a while. The 19th [heavy sigh] is the final run for the Champs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigpicturekeys View Post
    We will put on a sincerely heartfelt performance as this is what started our journey from There to Here.....One last time for KG.
    Why is this the last? Is the band breaking up?

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Why is this the last? Is the band breaking up?
    Yes.. from my understanding this will be the last show.

Also, as for the band "breaking up" a lot of these people are involved in other projects together and probably the best way to put it is the champs project is breaking up for now but who knows what the future might hold.
    Last edited by Sharp; 01-04-2013 at 12:48 AM.
    Normal people are just people you don't know very well.

The band was put together out of a common love for KG's music, but musical commitments with other bands , real jobs and families, and geography issues basically trump the realistic continuation of the band. Sharp is right though, as all of the people in the band are nothing if not inconsistent in their thinking rather than their playing.

I'm not even in the band, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night, and most of the band are my good friends (& PE members).

Perhaps bigpicturekeys or someone else in the band could corroborate or embellish this.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I'm not even in the band, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night, and most of the band are my good friends (& PE members).

Perhaps bigpicturekeys or someone else in the band could corroborate or embellish this.
    OK, I will corroborate that 1) you're not in the band, 2) most of the band are your good friends. I cannot corroborate or embellish upon whether you were in a Holiday Inn Express last night, however.

If you wish for me to embellish upon that I'll be happy to flip on my verbose switch and have at it!

I stayed in my pajamas last night.
    Last edited by Fox; 01-04-2013 at 02:19 PM.

It's too bad they are breaking up. I never got the chance to see them, and in fact, I was tempted to bug George about maybe getting them to play after hours at RoSFest one of these years. Kevin Gilbert's music has touched many of us and it would be wonderful to see his works live on in a good tribute band.

Have a great time, people! I've been to Shank Hall, and as Geez says, it's cozy and intimate, so get there early! If I win the lottery within the next two weeks, I'll see you there!
    "The mountains are calling and I must go" - John Muir

"To breathe the same air as the angels, you must go to Tahoe" - Mark Twain

I'll be in Milwaukee the first part of next week for work. Maybe the Champs could play then or I can scope out some BBQ in advance.

Unfortunately I am not going to be able to make it across the big lake to Milwaukee on the 19th to attend this show, but I wanted to post something to maybe help persuade people living in the area to check this out. I saw the Champions version of “Taming” in Saugatuck Michigan a year or so ago. I was expecting to see a bar level cover band performing the album pretty much straight up. Instead what I witnessed was a totally professional theatrical presentation of Kevin Gilbert’s work by a group of top notch musicians and Charlie out front playing the main character from a jaded teenager to a “has been” old man. I cannot stress how much the performance totally exceeded my expectations and how enjoyable the whole thing was. If you are a fan of Kevin Gilbert or progressive rock in general and are on the fence about attending this performance, I promise you will not be disappointed. These guys have obviously put their hearts and souls into putting this project together and it shows. It really is that good. Go experience it!

Steve Sly

maybe the guys can start a Jeff Buckley tribute show band as I have wanted to see his music for about equally as long

Well, we couldn't swing the Cruise to the Edge or afford our Vegas getaway for the holidays. But since the inlaws live around Milwaukee, I think we're going to make this trek to visit the folks and listen to some damn fine music.

Will there be tickets available ahead of time or do we need to send someone to the venue to get them?
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Quote Originally Posted by DaleGtr View Post
    OK, I will corroborate that 1) you're not in the band, 2) most of the band are your good friends. I cannot corroborate or embellish upon whether you were in a Holiday Inn Express last night, however.

If you wish for me to embellish upon that I'll be happy to flip on my verbose switch and have at it!
    Corroborate, Instigate, Estimate......brew ha ha....Truth of the matter is we are all good friends whom have many musical commitments in other projects. Some original, some covers. Some help pay a little of the bills (or in my case, more keyboards or guitars!! More is better, right?). There are miles to be traveled to get together and keep the music tweeked as well as jobs, families, and other musical adventures. Luis is in a gazillion bands. Rich is in a gaziilion bands, I hope to be in a gazillion bands. It has been fun while it has lasted and who knows, as the years go by maybe there will be an itch to play this again. Really, this all started due to us all wanting to let a larger part of the public become aware of Kevin and the brilliant musical genius that he was and I think we have done that to an extent. So, turn the radio up and pass the bottle around and we'll have one last drink before we all fall down!
    Hopefully we will keep our facebook page to keep interested parties aware of our individual and group accomplishments.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Giant View Post
    Well, we couldn't swing the Cruise to the Edge or afford our Vegas getaway for the holidays. But since the inlaws live around Milwaukee, I think we're going to make this trek to visit the folks and listen to some damn fine music.

Will there be tickets available ahead of time or do we need to send someone to the venue to get them?
    As I understand it, all ticket sales will occur at the door. I'm really not aware of advanced sales. We're just trying to round up the posse of Midwest proggers/music lovers and perhaps some brave Marquette University students who might think us old dudes are hip! Come up and say hello to us if you are able to attend.

We'll be recognized by the regular NEARfest/ROSfest crowd...and that guy that plays guitar for Advent...or looks like him anyway!
    I think we're getting our plane tix tomorrow.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"