Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Esoteric to release Box Sest of 1st 4 Private Parts albums

Esoteric to release Box Sest of 1st 4 Private Parts albums

Esoteric Recordings are proud to announce the release of a 5 CD Definitive Edition clamshell boxed set of the first four seminal Private Parts & Pieces albums. Private Parts & Pieces I-IV gathers together the first four albums in the series (Private Parts & Pieces, Back To The Pavilion, Antiques and A Catch At The Tables) along with Private Parts & Extra Pieces, an additional 18-track CD of previously unreleased material. Private Parts & Pieces I-IV is the definitive statement on these classic albums.

The set includes a lavish booklet with an essay and fully restores the artwork of the original vinyl releases.

Beginning in 1978, the first four volumes in the Private Parts & Pieces series featured an extensive range of music recorded by Ant for various projects (going back as far as 1972) and have come to be regarded by fans as essential collections of his wide and diverse compositional work.

Private Parts & Pieces I - IV is due for release on 28th August and is available to pre-order now from Cherry Red: http://shop.cherryred.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=5131

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Already have I, II, IV on LP and I, II, III on CD, but:
    an additional 18-track CD of previously unreleased material
    and
    The set includes a lavish booklet
    GAH!

How about an autograph incentive for pre-orders like last Fall's box set? --Peter

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Okay folks. I've never heard of this. Could someone explain who this is, and why Esoteric is going the extra mile for them?
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    Okay folks. I've never heard of this. Could someone explain who this is, and why Esoteric is going the extra mile for them?
    Anthony Phillips. cause he makes lovely music.

can't wait for this one!

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    The set...fully restores the artwork of the original vinyl releases.
    I gotta admit, it was the clever and detailed artwork of Peter Cross that first attracted me to the Anthony Phillips albums - the art and Phillips' playing kept me coming back for more. SO glad the artwork is being treated so well !

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    The link in #1 is informative, but long story short, original Genesis guitarist.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gojikranz View Post
    Anthony Phillips. cause he makes lovely music.
    He was in an 80s band called Genesis.

You gotta be really big fan to buy five CD of Private Pieces...

Quote Originally Posted by Booba Kastorsky View Post
    You gotta be really big fan to buy five CD of Private Pieces...
    I have to agree. I've owned five of those LPs myself but in the end fell down on keeping the very first one, which pretty much sums up all there is. I like Phillips' music, be it his "prog", his pop/rock, his singer-songwriter material or his mildly impressionist or attemptively neo-classical guitar pieces, but I can't say I ever found him a profoundly varied or bold forward-mover. His music is always sweet and nice, but rarely anything daring.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

There were reissues of some of these (certainly the first two volumes which I have) with already a score of rare/unreleased tracks. I wouldn't expect the 5th CD to consist of 100% previously unreleased recordings, unless this is meant in comparison with the original releases rather than subsequent reissues.

The early Private Parts & Pieces albums have a lot of rather stripped down 12-string based pieces, but also some bona fide prog stuff, like that 15-minute suite recorded with Rutherford and Andy McCulloch on, iirc, Volume 2.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Quick question for those in the know: are these pieces entirely instrumental ?

There are a handful of vocal tracks scattered throughout.

Seven Long Years
    Silver Song
    Lucy: An Illusion
    I Saw You Today
    Sistine
    Last edited by Koreabruce; 06-24-2015 at 06:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beebfader View Post
    Quick question for those in the know: are these pieces entirely instrumental ?
    There's the occasional vocal input, as in "Seven Long Years" on the first volume. He's not a bad singer at all and has a fine voice, although his range seems limited.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

He's an expressive singer though his voice may be an acquired taste for some. Like Steve Hackett, he definitely improved with age in the vocal department though he has seldom included tracks w/his vocals on them in recent years. I think maybe the last one was on PP&P IX: Dragonfly Dreams (She'll Be Waiting).

Thanks guys. I might check this out, it looks like reasonable value, and I'm a sucker for that early Genesis 12-string thing.

Esoteric did similar thing with Bill Nelson and Tangerine Dream, releasing a compilation box (or 2 CD sets in TD's case) and then starting a reissue campaign. I got the Nelson box but held off on the Phillips one, thinking this would happen. Glad I did.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    He's an expressive singer though his voice may be an acquired taste for some. Like Steve Hackett, he definitely improved with age in the vocal department though he has seldom included tracks w/his vocals on them in recent years. I think maybe the last one was on PP&P IX: Dragonfly Dreams (She'll Be Waiting).
    "Invisible Men" has a lot of his vocals. Not my favourite AP...

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    There were reissues of some of these (certainly the first two volumes which I have) with already a score of rare/unreleased tracks. I wouldn't expect the 5th CD to consist of 100% previously unreleased recordings, unless this is meant in comparison with the original releases rather than subsequent reissues.

The early Private Parts & Pieces albums have a lot of rather stripped down 12-string based pieces, but also some bona fide prog stuff, like that 15-minute suite recorded with Rutherford and Andy McCulloch on, iirc, Volume 2.

on first glance seems the 5th disc is entirely unreleased material(haven't compared with the archive releases though). the bonus stuff on the most recent private parts and reissues 2 for one albums are also contained on the individual albums. glad they did not lose any of the previous bonus stuff so I can sell that with little worry (though 1 and 2 is autographed by ant so might want to hang onto it)

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Esoteric Recordings are proud to announce the release of a 5 CD Definitive Edition clamshell boxed set of the first four seminal Private Parts & Pieces albums. Private Parts & Pieces I-IV gathers together the first four albums in the series (Private Parts & Pieces, Back To The Pavilion, Antiques and A Catch At The Tables) along with Private Parts & Extra Pieces, an additional 18-track CD of previously unreleased material. Private Parts & Pieces I-IV is the definitive statement on these classic albums.

The set includes a lavish booklet with an essay and fully restores the artwork of the original vinyl releases.

Beginning in 1978, the first four volumes in the Private Parts & Pieces series featured an extensive range of music recorded by Ant for various projects (going back as far as 1972) and have come to be regarded by fans as essential collections of his wide and diverse compositional work.

Private Parts & Pieces I - IV is due for release on 28th August and is available to pre-order now from Cherry Red: http://shop.cherryred.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=5131
    Exciting!

A whole new cd of unreleased material? Crazy! How much unreleased material does he have, and why wasn't it released before? Or I wonder if it's newer stuff? I'd likely pick this up just for the unreleased stuff as I already have most all his albums. Cherry Red is really doing some nice things! I already ordered the Banks box, and now looks like shelling yet more money.

Is the "unreleased material" on the recent and upcoming Esoteric releases truly unreleased - not even on the Archives Vols?

ok compared the track list to the archives seems all new stuff on disc 5(well some is alternate versions but still).

As a big fan, I just pre-ordered it. I am not sure if it was mentioned above but besides the full CD of unreleased pieces, there are also "extras" on each of the other four CDs. Perhaps some of them have been available on some of the re-releases but still, it is hard to pass up on this package.

I look forward to it!

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    As a big fan, I just pre-ordered it. I am not sure if it was mentioned above but besides the full CD of unreleased pieces, there are also "extras" on each of the other four CDs. Perhaps some of them have been available on some of the re-releases but still, it is hard to pass up on this package.

I look forward to it!
    the four main cds seem to be the same as the most recent reissues that were done as 2 album sets. very nice releases in their own rights but this one definitely outdoes it(plus those releases sacrificed the artwork somewhat which this seems to rectify)