Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Who here is still releasing new music?

My band ANUBIS GATE are making their 6th album (should be out late 2013).
    Two songs from our latest album:

And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make.

LOVE these tunes Kim !! Great songs man.
    Indie Audio Mastering
    http://www.indieaudiomastering.com

Newly designed Visual Cliff site:
    http://www.visualcliff.net

Quote Originally Posted by Robbue View Post
    what he said. Time do do some shopping.

We've currently started work on a fourth Helmet of Gnats studio album.

I'm not sure what it's going to sound like yet, but most likely a progression of fusion, jazz-rock, prog and avant garde styles we've been mining forever.

We'll also be mixing and releasing a live recording of our NEARfest apocalypse set from last June.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by Robbue View Post
    :-) thanks man.

Quote Originally Posted by everythingtoexcess View Post
    what he said. Time do do some shopping.
    Help spread the word :-)

Greetings,

I plan to keep releasing new music for as much of the remainder of my life as possible, both with Advent and otherwise (in collaboration with others and, if all goes well, perhaps even one or more solo albums).

1. Why?

I just love good music, regardless of whether I'm creating, performing, recording, listening, seeing it performed, or supporting it in some other sense. It's simply the essence of my being and I couldn't really stop making new music if I tried (and would be afraid of my mental condition if I had to stop for some reason).

2. How do see the future of music as a commodity?

Making money from music has been a difficult proposition for as long as I can remember. In fact, that's precisely why I decided to give up a professional (primary) career in music at age 20 and seek a different career--but this also resulted in great freedom to be able to pursue the music I loved without any compromise whatsoever. I really wish that there was more of a legitimate market for good music--progressive or otherwise--but I'm happy with the choices I made (and the potential for monetizing one's music has certainly grown worse over the years, especially lately).

3. Do you have second doubts about whether you're being realistic?

Not at all. I sincerely hope that Advent's next album (that we're hoping to release this year) will sell well, ideally providing joy to many and also helping to provide some financial compensation for all of our related investments--including the fairly significant amount of money, time, and dedication we've put into it. Regardless of how things go in that regard, though, I'll just be proud to have been a part of it and happy to have another set of music produced that I truly love.

4. What formats are you going to use?

I'm nearly 100% sure we are going to stick with a legitimate CD release, but also provide digital download options for those who prefer it.

Cheers,

Alan

We certainly are!!

We've just releases a 6 track mini album called 'The Wait' and our first EP called the 'Rain EP' sold out of CD's in November (still available as a download).
    Yes we're a new band, but with hard work and bit of luck you can start to get a fan base and sell records. We do it because we love it!!!
    We've been quite lucky really, we had a lot of interest from the media and radio with our first release. And we're feeling rather optimistic about the future - you make your own destiny!

We release CD's and downloads using Bandcamp and iTunes

For those that are interested, you can check out The Wait and the Rain EP on our bandcamp page: http://freedomtoglide.bandcamp.com/
    You can listen to the full mini album here too: http://www.progstreaming.com/_wb/pag...he%20Wait%20EP

All the best to everyone - Freedom To Glide

http://www.facebook.com/FreedomToGlide

www.freedomtoglide.com

I don't see anyone talking about how piracy has affected their decisions to release their music. For me that's probably the biggest reason why I never plan on releasing anything again. Like a few of you, I would probably explode if I ever stopped composing music, but the idea that if you give your music away, no one will be interested (what we obtain too cheaply we esteem too lightly) and the fact that once you actually produce something that does cost money, it is immediately stolen and used as a way to attract people to other sites. Its a weird situation. I do think that over the past couple of years, that has diminished somewhat. But that may just be my distancing myself from the commercial aspects of music. Mind you, Ive probably spent over $1000 on upgrading my CD collection this last year (2012). I have physical product for everything I listen to, with only a few exceptions where the physical CD is not available.

Thanks for speaking up. Some of you sound quite satisfied with attempts at claiming your own piece of the pie, and I find that refreshing. I've found many new avenues to pursue as far as building my music collection. But adding to the pile myself? I will probably just continue to compose and enjoy that process, and avoid the headaches of the venture capitalist.

Well, there's two schools of thought on piracy and I have drifted a bit from one to the other.

The first, which my band co-leader subscribes to is that it's all a zero sum game and every download equals a lost sale and money taken from your pocket. After many years, though I get pretty angry at the notion of people downloading our albums, I tend to think that in all honesty a large percentage of downloads almost certainly don't equal any lost revenue because those people would never have paid for the album in the first place. It becomes a choice of they didn't buy it and they don't have it vs. they didn't buy it and they do have it. And, I think there is also a small percentage of people who "try before they buy" and go ahead and get a hard copy with booklet and such when they decide they like the album . However I think that is a far lower number than downloading apologists believe. In full disclosure, I myself have downloaded albums by artists I was curious about, but not remotely curious enough to pony up fifteen bucks. Youtube makes this a bit redundant though these days.

So, I think downloading has an impact but a smaller one than many suspect. You have to write it into your overhead the same way insurance companies write off insurance fraud- the trick is estimating an accurate number.

It must be noted that prog is an exceptional genre in this area because proggers have an unusual devotion to physical media and tend to be philistines when it comes to digital downloads, so we have at least a slight advantage.. For now.

This is all also a large part of the reason I make my digital only (for now) solo album available for $2 or name your price. For that money most people feel better about themselves being honest, and many decide it's worth more than I'm asking at a minimum. I have no overhead of any kind on it, so even 2 bucks is pure profit.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    First off, I've not released anything yet. I'm in two bands that plan to release something in the future (near or otherwise...which has more to do with money and time than anything thing else...) so I'm probably not the best qualified to answer your question. So feel free to ignore my response or say piss off.

1. For fun would be the simple answer. For a more complex answer...I enjoy creating. Doesn't matter what...poems, paintings, music...all give me a good feeling and is something I enjoy spending my precious time doing. I don't really care if it resonates with others...it resonates with me and that is good enough. It's not really something that I can stop, unless the gods dictate by paralyzing me or something. Even when I don't have a lot of time, I still find myself pursuing creative avenues...even if I just have to stop once I really get going. A bit frustrating I admit...but still...I blame time and life more than anything else there.

2. As things currently stand now (selling and buying being dictators) I imagine there will always be a 'demand' for music...of some kind at least. Music has been around too long for it not to last. Given this someone is going to want it. However, being able to live off of said someone(s) is unlikely. I think the climate will have to change before that changes. (As an aside...I like both ideas...one) the way things are now (theoretically...). People can buy music (in standard forms) and collect it, and have it be tangible, and make it pretty, and worship it or whatever people do with giant music collections. In my mind it makes it feel very personal, even when it's really not. or two) something akin to star trek...a big ol' computer with all the music ever created on it, perfectly accessible to anyone and everyone, whenever and wherever they want it (conditions permitting of course). I like this because everything is there, right in front of you. Sure, it's all digital files and can't be held or smelt or anything, but on the other hand no one will ever say 'damn...oop again?!' or 'why the hell is this so damn expensive?!' or similar things. Unfortunately, it seems we are moving towards the later with the ethos of the former ($$$$). Which is depressing...but I digress...)

3. I'm probably not being realistic. But where's the fun in that? Seriously though...I think given current conditions, yes I'm being somewhat realistic. Of all that other dreg I spilled...maybe. Or maybe I'm just too cynical about things...

4. My band is currently in the talks (figuratively and literally) of being able to record (somewhat if not completely) in a real life studio with professional equipment. Ideally, all that effort will translate into a real Cd. I'm not really a digital download type of guy. I think things like Bandcamp and youtube and the likes are great for getting your name out there and exposing people to your music, but I don't think it's a good substitute for a real CD (or even vinyl). Similarly, I'm glad those things exist for such a purpose, I just fear they are usurping the power and the glory of physical formats.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Jefferson James
    1. Why?

Because we can.

2. How do see the future of music as a commodity?

I don't have a crystal ball but it seems books, tv, movies and music are going the way of the board-game ie. people still play Monopoly but far more people are playing Call of Duty. It will remain a niche product largely existing in the cyber rather than analog worlds.

3. Do you have second doubts about whether you're being realistic?

Never. Well, sometimes. Ok, never.

4. What formats are you going to use?

CD and download.

While I'm still planning on releasing new music, I also released a new video.
    Wilton Said... , Toronto Art Rock.
    http://www.wiltonsaid.com

I'll keep making and releasing music until I don't want to anymore or I die or whatever unforseen thing.

I'll only add the following as an example of how radically things have changed since the blossoming of the downloading era. Thoughout the 90's I used to receive perhaps 500 - 600 Euros a year from sales of 8 or 10 different CDs - my own and others I was involved in - that sold small but steady numbers every year, it added up and amounted to a goodly percentage of my miniscule yearly income (I have never made more than what they consider the poverty line in France .

Since 2005 I haven't received one cent from album sales.

BD
    www.bdrak.com

Quote Originally Posted by B D View Post
    Since 2005 I haven't received one cent from album sales.

BD
    www.bdrak.com
    Sorry to here that. Downloads seem to work for some though, like this guy:
    http://www.jonathancoulton.com/

I'm still working on something, that should become a new album. I suppose I'm going to release it as a digital download and I suppose it will be pay what you want. Judging from what interest there is for my music lately, I'm affraid there won't be any downloads at all. Alas I can't stop making music, though it is hard to stay motivated.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I'm still working on something, that should become a new album. I suppose I'm going to release it as a digital download and I suppose it will be pay what you want. Judging from what interest there is for my music lately, I'm affraid there won't be any downloads at all. Alas I can't stop making music, though it is hard to stay motivated.
    Thats a noble thought RB. I dont think you have to ever stop making music. All of you seem to have it in perspective. I get a different vibe from some other places where people seem to think its 1987, and they are the first ones to ever put out a CD. Its amazing how reality is only one of many choices.

This just came up this past weekend - I have a son who does alot of playing out of original tunes - though its not anything I'll ever listen to (punk - and BAD punk at that) his band is talking about making vinyl - and cassettes. Just to make sure that anyone who wants the music, willl actually pay something for it. Its wierd, because when he was 13, and I broke out my old record player to record some LP's he saw it and said to me "Wow, dad! I didnt know you played one of these!" He thought of the turntable as a musical instrument. He had never seen my bands LP's from 80-84. Vinyl may be an interesting way to go, I would love to put out something with real artwork on it. But I think you really have to do at least 1000 pressings dont you? ANyway, talk about going retro. People would have to really want your music to buy an LP - wouldnt they? Of course our two old vynil LP's from the 1980's still fetch a decent price on Ebay ($20-$40) - the wierd thing is, it was digitized and spread over the internet for years before I finally re-released everything on CD. They did pretty well, but no more, that was almost 10 years ago. The cool thing about considering Vynil is, you may sell some simply because of the format. Secondly, Most fo my songs are about as long as the side of an album. It would fit nicely. Anyway, this is just me thinking outloud, because I am far away from considering releasing anything. Composing, Recording and producing are far more fun than trying to peddle stuff on the web.

I believe that if you make music that pleases you then if not one other living soul enjoys it it still was worth it. And if you make music to please others and not one other soul enjoys it you've truly wasted time you'll never get back.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I believe that if you make music that pleases you then if not one other living soul enjoys it it still was worth it. And if you make music to please others and not one other soul enjoys it you've truly wasted time you'll never get back.
    In a way, yes. On the other hand, some audience to be enjoying it, makes all the extra work, involved in recording the music, worthwhile. When I'm finished recording, I've heard my music so often, I hardly can listen to it anymore.

Wilton, that was a great video! What a brave man! :-)

I've had several projects. Two with my jazz group RM Allegiance and two solo projects. I have to this point crossed over genres from pop/jazz fusion/progressive rock. I think its important to play and write the music you want to because that is when your best work will come forward. By my 2nd solo project "Seven Revelations of Morpheus", I had made a commitment to record the music that has given so much to me over the years. I am referring to progressive rock and fusion. This day and age, it is very hard to expect to succeed as an artist. Even if you try and write/play/record what you think people want to hear instead of what the music is singing to you, there is far from any guarantee that you will make it today. Its not the seventies anymore, and labels seldom if ever are giving musicians the experimental keys to create the music that genuinely drives many artists/musicians. So there is a part of me that does this to have some success, but I'm at peace with the fact that money is not the only measure of success, especially if you are creating what is in your head and heart. Its always good to have something to fall back on, and not put too much pressure on the financial end of it, but its the drive, motivation, dedication, and passion that drives many of us to create something unique and you be ready for when the day may come that we get fans and sell music. Self promotion and the internet are two of the biggest tools that may help many artists/musicians this day and age.

www.purevolume.com/sevenrevelationsofmorpheus
    www.youtube.com
    Last edited by progkeys310; 01-28-2013 at 05:44 PM.

If I stopped doing music in some form or another I would DIE.

So, my new band: Absolute Velocity is starting out as a Power Trio (GTR, BS Drms), hoping to add a keyboard player if we can find one. In the mean-time, I'll be overdubbing keys. So far, one friend said it sounded like an instrumental Robin Trower on Amphetamines. (I'll take that) Hope to have enough material for a CD within a year.

We (Riverdog Samson) released an album almost a year ago (A vinyl/cd package). It's quite recently have become available as a download and it's also on spotify. Vinyl is still available too.

http://open.spotify.com/album/23ojGl2YSKc0XtXHw2hujz
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/River...on/72372639211

Hi. New member here.

1. I've loved making music for as long as I can remember. I'd like to demonstrate to a wider audience what I can do. With the technology of music recording and distribution becoming ever more accessible, not to do so would seem a missed opportunity. There are albums I want to make, and in order to develop expertise to do them, I have to start somewhere.

2. People - not only individuals but also industries - will always want music, as they have throughout history. The details of how that's produced and distributed will depend on future technological innovation, although I imagine neither the internet nor the merch table will vanish any time soon.

3. When I'm tired or ill, I have moments of self-doubt. I can't afford to indulge them if I'm to pursue my goals. I observe how I'm thinking and feeling, and I remind myself that there are no guarantees - which is as much a positive as it is a negative, because it reminds me that if success is not guaranteed, then neither is failure. Then I look at what is the next thing I have to do to move toward my next objective.

4. I hope to release an EP this year as both a download and a CD. Then an album, ditto. Once that's out, I'll have more options as to what direction I take then.