Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Who here is still releasing new music?

Quote Originally Posted by Pekka View Post
    {Video for Faces by Riverdog Samson}
    Very cool!

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    My prog/fusion band, Helmet of Gnats are finally back together and writing a fourth studio album.
    Great news!
    Last edited by 100423; 12-16-2015 at 05:06 PM. Reason: slop

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    Lovely album. I've been listening to it on and off at my desk the past few days.
    Thanks man! If you (or anyone else) are interested in a CD version just PM me. I'll give a slight PE discount.

Quote Originally Posted by Pekka View Post
    Thanks man! If you (or anyone else) are interested in a CD version just PM me. I'll give a slight PE discount.
    Thanks! I was gonna say in my last post, just let me get thru the holidays and I'll throw you some money.

I have a lot of new stuff I'd like to release but I don't want to use the Baku llama name because the other band members are busy with their lives in other pursuits. Still trying to work out a name and a stable project before I get too old. Also having difficulty with finding the time.
    Still alive and well...

Wow! a three year old post is still getting posts! this is so cool! I originally posted this in what 2012(?) to decide if releasing musicv was ever worth it anymore. In three years, I still don have a clear answer. I have noticed that the overall number of new music has diminished over the last 2 years. But I think there are still many who think that somehow, somewhere, things will work out. I wish I had seen it. Perhaps the past few years have cleared the field somewhat. At least from a physical format perspective. Is anyone getting rich from releasing their stuff? I see Glass Hammer seems like it is probably doing OK, but what about Y'all who have not been around releasing stuff FOR 20+ Years.

We, HoG always broke even.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

I do it as a hobby. The industry is way too shattered now to even think of making a living at it - perhaps only if you tour. I don't tour, but it have to say, while not a significant amount, I have made every penny back from CD sales to cover my 'musical' expenses, and more, I've even bought quite a bit of gear from that revenue as well. So for me, it's a win win situation. The perfect pastime.
    Coming September 1st - "Dean Watson Revisited"!

Hardly made any $ selling music: CD's, Gigging.....I did make a KILLING teaching guitar for 16 years though.

I now seem to make money by selling off all my old recording gear. Of course its not at a profit... I get pennies on the dollar, but at least I occasionally have enough to buy the wife dinner... I have lots of crap. I could probably keep it up for years - selling off the stuff Ive collected over the years

Quote Originally Posted by marquette View Post
    Nice sounds!
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

Thank you @hFx

Rockin'!!!

If everything works out well, I will bring my new 'Rare Bird Suite' on the internet somewhere this year. I'm currently nearly completing the main part, which is the longest, with 11:30 minutes. After this there are 2 other parts planned, one of which is partly completed.
    I don't expect making any money, not even to cover any costs.

Those are great cuts!! - this is another reason for me not releasing music - Other musicians are a LOT better than I am. This was great. Thanks for keeping me off the market for another year or two. Ok four.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    Those are great cuts!! - this is another reason for me not releasing music - Other musicians are a LOT better than I am. This was great. Thanks for keeping me off the market for another year or two. Ok four.
    I'll hope you'll find a project were you can contribute with your fine voice, though...

Stick at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    If everything works out well, I will bring my new 'Rare Bird Suite' on the internet somewhere this year. I'm currently nearly completing the main part, which is the longest, with 11:30 minutes. After this there are 2 other parts planned, one of which is partly completed.
    I don't expect making any money, not even to cover any costs.
    Our timelines seem to cross. I started playing and producing my own music in 2000. Fortunately Ohio guitarist Rick Ray released 4 CDs of mine on his Neurosis label. He would try to sell them at gigs. I got $5! But Rick and I both forked out money to send promos and got lots of reviews and Internet plays. Of course you don't make money. That's not why we do it. Unless someone 'big' picks up on you. It is strange what sells sometimes! Anyway, I produced 3 CDs of tracks by solo artists like yourself- not much interest although I met a lot of great people and compiled the 10th anniversary 2 CD of Stone Premonitions. My most recent project was a collaboration with members of Census of Hallucinations and Clear Blue Sky called 'This Fragile Peace' available on Bandcamp. It will never sell enough copies to cover costs the way things are going so... as I said. Anyway I have set up a group for musicians like you on PE check it out. Also checked your music out on Bandcamp and liked what I heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Jackson View Post
    Our timelines seem to cross. I started playing and producing my own music in 2000. Fortunately Ohio guitarist Rick Ray released 4 CDs of mine on his Neurosis label. He would try to sell them at gigs. I got $5! But Rick and I both forked out money to send promos and got lots of reviews and Internet plays. Of course you don't make money. That's not why we do it. Unless someone 'big' picks up on you. It is strange what sells sometimes! Anyway, I produced 3 CDs of tracks by solo artists like yourself- not much interest although I met a lot of great people and compiled the 10th anniversary 2 CD of Stone Premonitions. My most recent project was a collaboration with members of Census of Hallucinations and Clear Blue Sky called 'This Fragile Peace' available on Bandcamp. It will never sell enough copies to cover costs the way things are going so... as I said. Anyway I have set up a group for musicians like you on PE check it out. Also checked your music out on Bandcamp and liked what I heard.
    That's what I'm doing it for. Some form of recognition.

My wife and I plan to make a third Bald Angels album (after "The Goat and the Donkey" and "It's a Dog's Life"). It will however be released in a limited edition of 500 copies only, as the previous two. No idea for a title yet, but we have some material we can work with. Like on the other two albums there will be an adaption of a classical piece of music (Franz Schubert's "Erlkönig" on the first album, Hugo Wolf's "Feuerreiter" on the second). This time it will be the famous duet "La ci darem la mano" from Mozart's opera "Don Giovanni", but in a lesbian context, with Jean singing the part of Zerlina and me the part of Don Giovanni.

The cover art will be provided by the same artist as on the first two albums, and we plan to make it as provocative as the cover of our second album.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldFriede View Post
    My wife and I plan to make a third Bald Angels album (after "The Goat and the Donkey" and "It's a Dog's Life"). It will however be released in a limited edition of 500 copies only, as the previous two. No idea for a title yet, but we have some material we can work with. Like on the other two albums there will be an adaption of a classical piece of music (Franz Schubert's "Erlkönig" on the first album, Hugo Wolf's "Feuerreiter" on the second). This time it will be the famous duet "La ci darem la mano" from Mozart's opera "Don Giovanni", but in a lesbian context, with Jean singing the part of Zerlina and me the part of Don Giovanni.

The cover art will be provided by the same artist as on the first two albums, and we plan to make it as provocative as the cover of our second album.
    Now this sounds like a good time!
    Still alive and well...

I did put about 12 of my albums here:

http://www.regenerativemusic.net

I have about 18 more that I've done. I would like to monetize my music onday, so
    not sure how long they will stay up.

Since I do writing too, I had to focus on one thing at a time. At first, I thought I could
    do both professionally, but it turns out I was just creating both, not marketing them both.
    In 2005 I started marketing the writing more, and the music really took a backseat.

I was in a composers collective from 2000 until it disbanded in 2004 and this helped immensely. Maybe
    finding some kind of online one would help as well.

Quote Originally Posted by regenerativemusic View Post
    I did put about 12 of my albums here:

http://www.regenerativemusic.net
    Some really nice and interesting music there! However, the year 1995 design of the web site might put some potential listeners off...

Quote Originally Posted by hFx View Post
    Some really nice and interesting music there! However, the year 1995 design of the web site might put some potential listeners off...
    Thanks. I have basic html skills and can cut and paste code in the right spot. I just need to find a
    new template or a designer who needs another site for their portfolio.
    Last edited by regenerativemusic; 02-20-2016 at 11:15 PM.

This subject matter is really deep to unknown musicians.
    I released an EP last month.
    I don't know why the others want to do that, but I can tell you my own words.

1. why?
    First of all, there's no music what exactly matches with my taste.
    Second of all, I create something because I like to share my thoughts, feelings with someone else.
    You can't do it by talking.

2. How do see the future of music as a commodity?
    I think most people won't buy CD or MP3 in the future.
    Most of them will listen music with something like Spodify. And they will still pay their money for it.

3. Do you have second doubts about wether you're being realistic?
    I'm not realistic. Nobody like me is realistic.
    To be honest, I want to quit every day, every minute though.
    It's a tough job, you know.
    But if you ask me why I didn't, I can't answer it. 'cause I don't know either.

4. What formats are you going to use?
    As I mentioned, I released my music last month.
    I didn't release physical copies. Just for digital.
    CD is just for the collectors these days.

This is my new album...I put it out as a vinyl LP simply because I've always wanted to make one! And with the confluence of the current vinyl resurgence on the one hand and the dying market for physical releases in general on the other, this may be my last chance. And it came out great; I'm really pleased with the look and feel of it. A big ol' 12-inch elpee with my name on it . Random colored vinyl, too--the copies I've seen so far have been either white, aqua blue, or very dark purple (almost black). The music is a mix of ambient, prog, electronica, and avant-garde, featuring various woodwinds, guitars, Moogs, and computer electronics. Reference points: Brian Eno, King Crimson, Zappa's Jazz from Hell, Wendy Carlos, side two of Low.

InsectGarden_5inch.jpg

Limited vinyl edition available from Wayside: http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...ESM-spc-3.aspx

MP3 version available on iTunes, Amazon, or CDBaby, the last being the cheapest.

https://soundcloud.com/michael-p-daw...k-and-no-pence

https://soundcloud.com/michael-p-daw...un-that-weevil