Thread: Steven Wilson - The Raven Unit Sales

Steven Wilson - The Raven Unit Sales

I remember an interview recently Wilson stated that The Raven was his best selling album to date. Was he talking about solo or solo and PT...Does anyone know
    or where one can find those numbers. I know FOABP sold over 250,000 units.

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    I remember an interview recently Wilson stated that The Raven was his best selling album to date. Was he talking about solo or solo and PT...Does anyone know
    or where one can find those numbers. I know FOABP sold over 250,000 units.
    I don't have the figure but he was definitely talking about his whole carreer, meaning PT included.

Suspended
    How recent was the interview? Would it have been prior to the release of H.C.E.?

The pattern in the past has been that each PT/SW release has sold somewhat more than its predeccesor. Not setting the world on fire, more like a slow burn.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    FoaBP was on a major label (Atlantic) iirc...don't know how that contributes (or doesn't) to sales.

Certain websites(I won't mention names)have more fans of Porcupine Tree listed than of the band YES(not that that in and of itself is saying a whole lot these days). That should tell you something about PT and Steve's popularity right there. To be honest I'm not sure why other prog bands aren't following in their footsteps. The only thing I can come up with is that many of his fans(including PT)are not prog fans per se.

if the 250K is accurate, it's a global figure. U.S. sales haven't crossed the six figure threshold.
    Daily jazz vinyl reviews on Instagram @jazzandcoffee

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    How recent was the interview? Would it have been prior to the release of H.C.E.?

The pattern in the past has been that each PT/SW release has sold somewhat more than its predeccesor. Not setting the world on fire, more like a slow burn.
    It was my interview, released around the release of H.C.E.:

But it's not the volume of his accomplishments that is remarkable; if anything, Wilson has simplified his life in recent years by focusing on just these two things (as if that's not enough). What's most extraordinary has been the continued, increasing success of his solo career. That The Raven has become not just the biggest selling album since he's gone solo but the biggest selling album of his entire career is almost paradoxical to its old school, hardcore progressive rock nature.

"I was as surprised as anyone that The Raven did as well as it did. That was a willfully uncommercial move. It had absolutely nothing on it that was even remotely acceptable to the mainstream, and yet it's become the most successful album of my whole career; it's the best-selling record I've ever done. It's extraordinary. And what that tells me is: the more self-indulgent and willful I am, the more likely the album is to appeal," says Wilson, chuckling. "It almost gives me license to keep doing my thing. Not that I'm capable of anything else, but it's still nice that it can have some appeal beyond just the hardcore fans.

"I could never have contrived or predicted that this would be the case," Wilson continues. "And remarkably, it's still selling. It's the only album I've ever done in my whole career that has not tailed off. Usually, you make record, you sell well in the first couple of weeks and then sales nosedive. This is the one exception, so far, in my career. This record has kept on selling. I know there's the word-of-mouth thing which, of course, helps keep it going...and the live shows."
    We didn't talk numbers - not really my business...