Thread: Jaga Jazzist at the Webster Theater NYC

Jaga Jazzist at the Webster Theater NYC

one word...HOLY SHIT! What an amazing, mind blowing ensemble. This was easily on of the best concerts I've ever seen. 8 people, 5 of them multi, and I mean MULTI instrumentalists. Tight as a frogs ass. I don't think I've bounced around and yelled and smiled so much in a concert...ever. A very young audience too. I'd say 80% 30 or younger? I saw about 4 other people my age there. If you have a chance to see this band, do NOT deprive yourself of the experience. They kicked serious ass last night.

chalkpie
    Oh man - simultaneously so glad to hear this and bummed I missed it (had a jazz gig last night).

Seeing them on the 30th. They played Ottawa a few years ago and it was a pretty good show.

Tuesday in Asheville. This sounds excellent!
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Glad to hear of all of the positive reviews. I've been listening to these guys about 10 years now and finally get a chance to see them live Tuesday. Can't wait.

Any idea what the setlist was?

I suck at song names. Sorry. They played at least one from the new album, some off One Armed Bandit and What We Must. it was all great. They stretched out on a few. Lars Hornveth is a beast on every instrument he touched. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful otutside of promoting the show!

I was at this show as well. Completely mindblowing how they can pull this stuff off live. Wow.

saw them in SF, and agree completely with your review.

Anybody know anything about the opening band Among Savages?

No, the opening act in NYC was Bobby McFerrins son, Taylor McFerrin. Awesome as well.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Anybody know anything about the opening band Among Savages?
    Yes. It was a guy with backing trax. The songs themselves aren't bad at all (reminiscent of Paul Simon), but he can't sing and I hated the band in a box sound.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Well, I guess I'll just sit a little longer at Wicked Weed before I mosey over to the show. Thanks, Steve. (The samples I checked out online didn't do much for me, either.)

I was there too (In my SW 2015 tour shirt)! Sick concert. it was my first experience with there music and I loved it, killer musicians and really great electronics. They were very ecited to be in NY too. I really loved the horn instrumentation. Some passages which were voiced on Flute, bass clarinet, and trombone were beautiful. Also, the trombone player played a killer Bruce Fowler esq solo!
    "Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
    -Frank Zappa

Anyone who has a chance to see them, you absolutely should! Their show was amazing in San Francisco. Get on out there!

Saw the NYC gig too and was pretty blown away. I thought it was a great selection of tracks.

Btw, is this a thing elsewhere? - I had to move a few times because people were talking throughout the entire set. I think it might be worse here because there are certainly more scenesters who are just there for the social aspect, and the music is secondary. Now I remember why I haven't been to a show (other than Magma) at a venue that had more that 50 or so people in a long time...

Quote Originally Posted by Pr33t View Post
    Btw, is this a thing elsewhere? - I had to move a few times because people were talking throughout the entire set. I think it might be worse here because there are certainly more scenesters who are just there for the social aspect, and the music is secondary. Now I remember why I haven't been to a show (other than Magma) at a venue that had more that 50 or so people in a long time...
    There are jerkoffs everywhere. A couple of them behind me were yacking non-stop through the first half of Magma at FIMAV. Dunno if they just finally stopped talking after that or got up and left.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Saw the NYC gig too and was pretty blown away. I thought it was a great selection of tracks.

This is a thing everywhere...and certainly one I find most prominent in standing only venues. Not that it doesn't happen elsewhere of course.

Way more annoying that the camera/cell phone trend IMHO.

Sounds like a cool gig. I probably would have considered it if I knew about it beforehand, mostly because who know the next time they will return.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

I fortunately didn't experience that at this show. I was up pretty close to the stage, it was a lot of bouncing and grooving, no Talking
    In regard to annoying people, I have no other experience outside the US, but my feeling is it's more a US thing. I see videos of concerts in other parts of the world and they're far more civilized. I don't get it at all really. I went to a ghost of a saber tooth tiger show, and the two bastrads next to us were trying to talk OVER the music to engage in their conversation. At the Opeth heritage show I saw, they completely ruined the show yelling and screaming and talking throughout the entire show. It really is annoying. I don't get it, if you want to have a full length conversation go somewhere else.
    That being said, at the Steven Wilson shows, the last three tours, you could hear a pin drop. Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Lieto View Post
    I was there too (In my SW 2015 tour shirt)! Sick concert. it was my first experience with there music and I loved it, killer musicians and really great electronics. They were very ecited to be in NY too. I really loved the horn instrumentation. Some passages which were voiced on Flute, bass clarinet, and trombone were beautiful. Also, the trombone player played a killer Bruce Fowler esq solo!
    Erik Johannessen is a real talent on trombone...and Jaga's only "session musician." Most others - Lars and Martin Horntveth, Andreas Mjøs, Marcus Forsgren and Even Ormestad all produce and most have their own studios; Line Horntveth works in other groups in addition to being a journalist of no small repute; and Øystein Moen works with guitarist Stian Westerhus in Puma and Pale Horses, amongst other things.

But Erik is the most confirmed jazzier of the bunch, and with Mathias Eick now having left the group, they waffled on whether to replace him or not, tried a few gigs as an octet and decided to stay that way...which gives Erik more space to solo than ever before. His solo in the intro to "One-Armed Bandit" on Live with Britten Sinfonia is especially wonderful.

Unbelievable for you to mention this. The EXACT SAME THING happened in Los Angeles and it really pissed me off. Half the fun of Jaga Jazzist is hearing them bring the sound wayyy down and then come roaring back in a matter of just a couple of measures.

I actually wrote to the management of the club (which I never do) on this subject because I figured he must have papered the place with free tickets or something: I almost never see this at other Los Angeles shows where people have paid to attend.

The light show was insane and really added to the experience. An enjoyable evening. I missed out on buying a CD though. The guy before me got the last one.

The light show was insane and really added to the experience. An enjoyable evening. I missed out on buying a CD though. The guy before me got the last one.
    I enjoyed the lights for awhile, then found it on the annoying side, my only minor complaint of the evening. The young crowd in San Francisco enjoyed the music and did not do lots of talking, thankfully. I commented on their Facebook page that it would be great to have a DVD/CD of the tour, and hoped they would tour the US again soon. The tour seems to be going well so far. Sorry you missed out on the CD. The drummer mentioned merchandise has been selling better than expected, which is great. He said the LPs were almost gone at that point in the evening.

The light show was insane and really added to the experience.
    Agreed, really enjoyed the lighting on this one.

As to my original complaint of people talking, I assumed it happens everywhere, but I must be a magnet for it. I also like to stand further back as to not have my ears ring for days after. Getting right up front and in the middle of the scrum will certainly cut that down, and I think the far back and the bar are acceptable places for quiet talking. But it seems to be wherever I stand at any show I go to!