Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zappa - Dance Me This - shipping now!

Zappa - Dance Me This - shipping now!

Yup... MAILBOX SOON!

Aw reet!.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Here's the tracklisting:

1. Dance Me This
    2. Pachuco Gavotte
    3. Wolf Harbor
    4. Wolf Harbor II
    5. Wolf Harbor III
    6. Wolf Harbor IV
    7. Wolf Harbor V
    8. Goat Polo
    9. Rykoniki
    10. Piano
    11. Calculus

It's identical to what's here - http://globalia.net/donlope/fz/notes/Dance_Me_This.html

My copy arrived today.

chalkpie
    Full report please. I need to get this but my credit card has been on fire with disc purchases.

Yes, full report please.

Once you've finished listening to it of course.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    OK, I overcame my resistance to buying stuff at GZ's over-priced site for this one...

Okay, first listen through. Some thoughts ...

First off, the thing that surprised me was that this really isn't a collection of pieces, but rather one cohesive, 50 minute piece of music with no stops or breaks. The Tuvans are all over it - mostly toward the beginning and near the end. The centerpiece of the album is a piece called "Wolf's Harbor" which is a multipart, pure Xenakis / Henry Cow "Beginning: the Long March" percussion and sound effects head trip! The opening couple of tracks are pretty straight forward (with an all too brief guitar solo that could've been longer IMO - it's almost too tasteful), and there's also a really stunning piano workout that is very atonal, but beautiful.

If I didn't know better, I'd have thought this was an orchestral album, really. The synclavier had evolved to the point where it sounded almost identical to real instruments. Basically, I loved this. It's challenging as you'd imagine it to be, but also very joyful. You can really hear Frank playing around and exploring in the final part of his life and that's inspiring. Not essential to the casual fan by any means, but fans of the 'serious' side of FZ will love it. Recommend to you diehards unconditionally.
    Last edited by zombywoof; 06-24-2015 at 12:57 AM.

I'll just say this - this is basically a NEW Zappa album. Ya... its literally a new album but its new new new for music. Holy smokes why did it take so long to see the light of day. I'll agree with Zombywoof on his review... it has something special going on and Frank is credited with playing Guitar!

^ "won't be released until next year." - FZ, 1993

*22 years later*

WOW a 'new' Zappa album!!

Completely different from any of his other Synclavier works. It does go heavy on percussion through all of the Wolf Harbor tracks. The last tune, "Calculus" is brilliant with the way the tempo speeds up and then slows down. Yes, the guitar solo is way to brief.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

It has been said - that was the last time Frank played guitar on anything recorded. Aw man... do I miss his presence in this world. Music lives on!

It's a brilliant record. Yeah, it is essentially taken up by one large scale orchestral piece - Wolf Harbour - that is just fantastic with excellent percussion stuff and soundscapes.

I was very disappointed to see that nothing made it on here from the sessions with our old friend Artis (the Spoonman, who was quite excited to hear this was coming out) and Mats Oberg. I do know Frank sampled Artis and possibly some of that is on the record but his performances don't appear to be. It's too bad because he's a wonderful and unique percussionist. And, needless to say, Mats Oberg... most excellent.

But i digress. The record is a sweet sweet listen. The packaging is lovely and all in all, i'm SO happy to have it! There's a nice picture of FZ in there as well

If you haven't already, definitely get this one.

Kim
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Wolf Harbor I reminds me of Ron Geesin's work at places. The bells and chimes hitting here and there. A similar vibe. Damn cool.

Full album already posted on YT
    I need this...

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    It has been said - that was the last time Frank played guitar on anything recorded.
    In fact, the liner notes suggest it may have been the last time he picked up a guitar period. I was a bit taken aback by how brief that solo is. Frank usually liked to take his time with a solo.

[QUOTE=mkeneally;425736]I reckon he had the structure of the song already complete and needed something of melodic interest to fill the space before the next Tuvan injection. Sure am glad it exists!

Quote Originally Posted by mkeneally View Post
    I reckon he had the structure of the song already complete and needed something of melodic interest to fill the space before the next Tuvan injection. Sure am glad it exists!
    It sure is a beautiful album
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Great album ! Thought I'd merely be listening with sympathetic ears, as I still find much of both MEETS THE M.O.P. and CP3 difficult listening. But this really works for me. I Love every second of it.

chalkpie
    Is "Titties N Beer" on this?

Yes, Frankie. Titties N Beer is the central theme of the entire album. Variations thereof

Btw, i was listening to Cardboard Amanda the other day (not to derail this thread) and practically choked on my pancakes as i was shoving them into my cake hole (all night long). I just love that record. It's SO funny.

But do get some help for that problem of yours, ok? Do it for your friends, if not for me

Back on topic, if you don't have "Dance Me This", definitely grab a copy. You, especially, will love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Full album already posted on YT
    I need this...
    I'm giving it a listen before it's taken down. The title track made me crack a big smile right off!
    Will order a copy.