Page 18 of 61 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: Walking Dead Thread V.3

You guys are a little too cynical. Terminus is the stopping point for a railroad. And as I just discovered, it also happens to be the original name for Atlanta, GA. I wonder if the writers knew that.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    You guys are a little too cynical. Terminus is the stopping point for a railroad. And as I just discovered, it also happens to be the original name for Atlanta, GA. I wonder if the writers knew that.
    Yes, they did, as they showed on Talking Dead. You know, where you also learned that tidbit.

I don't watch TD so that's not where I learned that. I ran across it when I was double checking the definition of "terminus". My father & I – he, more so than I – are big railroad fans, so that word was not new to me. Middle age, however, has impacted my neural network, so I wasn't quite sure if I was remembering correctly.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

The word terminus is derived from Latin and literally just means an end or limit. It only has an ominous tone because it makes people think of terminate.

One of my cousins grew up a hardcore railroad model hobbyist, too, but I never heard him use that word, at least not around me.

Here are my predictions:

Terminus is not a nice place. Maybe cannibals, maybe something else - but I subscribe to someone else's analogy of a spider at the center of its web.

Something bad's going to happen when Darryl's group arrives. Mass mayhem will ensue and Terminus will burn (thus explaining the smoke and burned zombies from a couple episodes ago). What's-her-name who was kidnapped will also likely figure in as some sort of catalyst to the destruction of Terminus.

1 or 2 main cast members will bite the bullet. I suspect either Glenn or Maggie will be a casualty.

The rest of the core group will meet up with Carol and what's-his-name and the season will end on a mostly happy note as they begin their trek to DC.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Proglodite View Post
    Here are my predictions:

Terminus is not a nice place. Maybe cannibals, maybe something else - but I subscribe to someone else's analogy of a spider at the center of its web.

Something bad's going to happen when Darryl's group arrives. Mass mayhem will ensue and Terminus will burn (thus explaining the smoke and burned zombies from a couple episodes ago). What's-her-name who was kidnapped will also likely figure in as some sort of catalyst to the destruction of Terminus.

1 or 2 main cast members will bite the bullet. I suspect either Glenn or Maggie will be a casualty.

The rest of the core group will meet up with Carol and what's-his-name and the season will end on a mostly happy note as they begin their trek to DC.

Peter
    I mostly agree. Terminus is definitely not a nice place. If core characters have to die, I really hope it's Glen and/or Maggie. As stated earlier, I think they have zero chemistry as lovers and scenes built around them are usually not particularly memorable. I wouldn't mind it if Rick goes too, although if they're only going to give Rick about 40 minutes of screen time per season, I don't mind him.

At this point in the season, I'm getting a little Walking Dead weary. The bad writing and acting are taking away from my enjoyment of zombie mayhem. Oh well, at least Justified and the Americans are giving me plenty of bang for the buck....and Game of Thrones is coming.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    At this point in the season, I'm getting a little Walking Dead weary. The bad writing and acting are taking away from my enjoyment of zombie mayhem. Oh well, at least Justified and the Americans are giving me plenty of bang for the buck....and Game of Thrones is coming.
    I've been as critical as any about these factors, but I think they've been the least obtrusive on the audience this year as any past seasons. I think these writers might do better in the set-piece style of episode than the long-running narrative. The Governor, for example, was such a crutch for lazy plot devices and such an excuse for illogical behavior/decisions that it was starting to get ridiculous. It's good that we had him for awhile, but he was drawn in such a way that overstaying his welcome was probably inevitable. Having a villain to fall back on is easy. Making ambiguity interesting is harder.

As a side note, I hope that the way this season was constructed was not done intentionally so as to more easily be able to poll focus groups about who/what they want to see more or less of in the next season, although I guess it would be naive to think that this isn't going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    At this point in the season, I'm getting a little Walking Dead weary.
    I burned out after the first couple of episodes of Season 1. I eventually found a way to make the show tolerable - download it the day after it's broadcast and watch it on the computer at 1.3 or 1.4 speed - get the whole thing over with in about 30 minutes. There are way too many plot holes and inconsistencies to really take the show seriously...even character interactions rarely feel natural.

My biggest gripe these past few episodes is in the funeral home - at night and they hear the cans rattling at the front door and Daryl just ups and opens the door. This is after making several comments about how clean everything is and how someone's obviously been there recently. Wouldn't he be concerned the noise at the door could be the owner's returning? And let's face it, they haven't really met any friendlies since Season 1, so it made no sense to not be on guard when opening the door. And then how is it a dozen zombies somehow suddenly developed stealth mode? I mean, it's dark, there's no electricity or any other noise, and zombies have been clearly established making all sorts of moaning and groaning noises. So how could a dozen of them after gotten up on that porch past the string of cans without any noise and general mayhem? It's hard to respect a show that can have such mind-numbingly bad situations. Ironically, despite such a bad scene, I thought that was probably the best episode of the season.

Peter

It's a show based on a comic book, we are supposed to suspend belief and reality.

I understand criticism of continuity and character flaws, but let's not expect Shakespeare, it's TV.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    I understand criticism of continuity and character flaws, but let's not expect Shakespeare, it's TV.
    Yeah, well, the problem is there are shows on TV that do approach Shakespearian quality: The Good Wife, Justified, The Americans, Mad Men, Breaking Bad, True Detective, etc. I look at TWD as a guilty pleasure and nothing more, so I don't have the issue Jerjo or Proglodite do. Plus, I still enjoy the hell out of the dystopia.

Mad Men? "Shakespearian" quality? Hardly.

I haven't read the previous posts 'cause I ain't not wanna see no spoilers (note the special grammar), I just stopped by, as a full-blown, drooling TWD fan, to ask the following question: Why did last Sunday's episode suck monkey balls?

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan113 View Post
    I haven't read the previous posts 'cause I ain't not wanna see no spoilers (note the special grammar), I just stopped by, as a full-blown, drooling TWD fan, to ask the following question: Why did last Sunday's episode suck monkey balls?
    One review of it called the episode "Glenn Makes One Stupid Decision After Another and Never Pays Consequences".
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Mad Men? "Shakespearian" quality? Hardly.
    Yeah. There's nothing on television that is even remotely close to Shakespearean quality, at least as far as original writing. Nevertheless, there's plenty better than Walking Dead. But that being the case, they don't have zombies!

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Proglodite View Post
    Mass mayhem will ensue and Terminus will burn (thus explaining the smoke and burned zombies from a couple episodes ago).
    I would bet my last dime that the smoke and charred zombie-folk were from Daryl and Beth's torching of the moonshine shack.

When all parties reach Terminus, we should be back to a linear storyline.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Speaking of violent TV shows, anyone watching Vikings on the History Channel? I wish to capture a priest and bring him back to my farm to raise goats.

Vikings. Those seem like fun times don't they?

As far as nitpicking the Walking Dead goes...all I can say is I'm glad to be fairly simple and easily pleased. This is a perfect beers with buddies show and the flaws make it that much better. I mean cmon now, it's a show about zombies!

Though I have to agree, the situations Glen puts himself in are head scratchers. He's about due to be eaten I'd say!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Picture this ...

Glen and Maggie finally find each other about 1/4 mile apart on the rail road tracks. They start moving towards each other, then start running. Zombies start coming out of the woods between them. Maggie pauses, but Glenn keeps on coming, trying to cut a path through to his true love. The zombies overwhelm him. Maggie, in supreme distress, runs into the zombies and gets bitten herself before she reaches Glen's disemboweled body. But, he is still alive. Glen looks up at her and says "I love you" just before the remaining zombies overwhelm them both. Zoom back for a wide shot of guts being devowered.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Um, yeah. That was random.

Klonkers, you know me from way back in the L O S T days. I can't keep my mouth shut when it comes to the sloppy shit. With that said, I'm totally with you man. I look forward to the show every weekend but I gotta call bullshit when I smell it.

I know dude. Thing is, I know I'd have fun watching with you.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Yeah. There's nothing on television that is even remotely close to Shakespearean quality, at least as far as original writing. Nevertheless, there's plenty better than Walking Dead. But that being the case, they don't have zombies!
    One is plenty. I like the fact we have an ongoing "zombapoc" show. Mark my words, as soon as it's gone, people will lament the void left behind...

(But, in fact, we'll have two shows next year. )

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    ...the L O S T days. I can't keep my mouth shut when it comes to the sloppy shit.
    I couldn't get past the pilot — episode, that is.

Oh, don't get me wrong, L O S T was spectacular up until the final season when it imploded on itself. Epic crash and burn.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    Oh, don't get me wrong, L O S T was spectacular up until the final season when it imploded on itself. Epic crash and burn.
    I think I have posted this before, but LOST literally changed the way I watch television. It was outstanding………for a while at least………

Although I enjoy the Walking Dead from acting a writing perspective it is not on the same level.

I agree with terminus taking a turn for the worst. Characters who bid farewell? Glenn and that lesbian. They can't kill Maggie but those maggots did let Andrea go so they are capable of more heinous crimes towards me.