Page 10 of 61 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060 ... LastLast

Thread: Walking Dead Thread V.3

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    I also agree about Martinez, it made no sense that he didn't shoot him in the pit.
    Well, he explained in the show that it was because of the little girl and two women who were with him that he didn't just shoot the Governor. Also, didn't he say he was a priest before the zombie plague began?

We have the last two episodes to thank for now having two cute lesbians in the mix, so it's all good!

BTW, RE; the time shifting in the last episode, what was the deal with the scene when the Governor, the three chicks, and the girl escape in their car and encounter the mass of zombies stuck in the mud? When is that supposed to be? Still in the future, after where the episode ended? We could NOT figure out when that scene is supposed to be.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Well, he explained in the show that it was because of the little girl and two women who were with him that he didn't just shoot the Governor. Also, didn't he say he was a priest before the zombie plague began?.
    Maybe. But, then he started treating the Governor like his personal assistant, his golf caddy. At least chain the Governor up, then have him do the dishes.

BTW, RE; the time shifting in the last episode, what was the deal with the scene when the Governor, the three chicks, and the girl escape in their car and encounter the mass of zombies stuck in the mud? When is that supposed to be? Still in the future, after where the episode ended? We could NOT figure out when that scene is supposed to be.
    Yeah, that was weird, and hard to make sense of. Was it a time shift? I thought he decided to leave, but found the road had turned into a zombie filled mud pit so they couldn't go any further. So, the next day he decided to kill the leaders of the group instead.
    Last edited by Man In The Mountain; 11-26-2013 at 04:17 PM.

Maybe. But, then he started treating the Governor like his personal assistant, his golf caddy. At least chain the Governor up, then have him do the dishes.
    Yeah, I agree it didn't make much sense to trust him.

Yeah, that was weird, and hard to make sense of. Was it a time shift? I thought he decided to leave, but found the road had turned into a zombie filled mud pit so they could go any further. So, the next day he decided to kill the leaders of the group instead.
    That might have been it, but they should have shown them turning back or something. It was kind of like in a movie theater where they get the reels mixed up and you see them out of order!

M

Yeah, that was weird, and hard to make sense of. Was it a time shift? I thought he decided to leave, but found the road had turned into a zombie filled mud pit so they could go any further. So, the next day he decided to kill the leaders of the group instead.
    That's the way I saw it. I thought they were trying to show how any and all circumstances were conspiring against the Governor's plan to "escape his fate" or whatever. Want to leave in the middle of the night? When it's most dangerous? Maybe your car got stuck in the middle of the road and you thought it was a good idea to get out of the car and have a look around in the pitch darkness because you hear zombie snarlings? No, you're not getting bit. But you are going to be turned back the way you came, because there's a mudpool full of zombies blocking your path!

I was wondering what the mud-pool of zombies does during the 99.9999999% of the time when there *aren't* any people in cars trying to get around. Since they only get "activated" by loud noises and by the sights/smells of people, I guess they just hang out in there, basically inert.

Also, concerning the zombies, I don't like how they seem to become immortal and otherwise impervious to the effects of rot/decay as everyone/everything else - which is doubly concerning, since they're already dead. In that Brad Pitt movie, for example, I liked how they addressed the issue: the zombies don't have tremendously long lives on their own due to starvation/decay. But in the WD mythology, this doesn't happen. The zombie at the bottom of the lake, for example, should have had its skin fall off in fairly quick order, as an aquatic environment is no place for an aimated corpse. Yet, it looks like that thing is doing fine, and looks like it's going to be able to hang around for awhile. And there's the issue of how they continuously bite even after the head has been separated from the body - and even after most of the head has been removed from the jaw - there's no nervous system in place to regulate this behavior, and no muscle tissue to perform the task, even if the nervous system existed to request it.

wow...
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Also, concerning the zombies, I don't like how they seem to become immortal and otherwise impervious to the effects of rot/decay as everyone/everything else - which is doubly concerning, since they're already dead. In that Brad Pitt movie, for example, I liked how they addressed the issue: the zombies don't have tremendously long lives on their own due to starvation/decay. But in the WD mythology, this doesn't happen. The zombie at the bottom of the lake, for example, should have had its skin fall off in fairly quick order, as an aquatic environment is no place for an aimated corpse. Yet, it looks like that thing is doing fine, and looks like it's going to be able to hang around for awhile. And there's the issue of how they continuously bite even after the head has been separated from the body - and even after most of the head has been removed from the jaw - there's no nervous system in place to regulate this behavior, and no muscle tissue to perform the task, even if the nervous system existed to request it.

It's for reasons like this , that TWD is a bad show.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

It was kind of like in a movie theater where they get the reels mixed up and you see them out of order!
    Excellent analogy.

With regard to the Governor's actions, I thought they did a pretty good job of explaining him on The Talking Dead. IIRC, basically he can't escape who he is. It's his destiny. That's the reason for all the back and forth in his behavior: he wants to change but can't.

As for why Martinez didn't shoot him in the pit, WTF didn't what's-his-name shoot him last season after he slaughtered his own people?

I knew the moment, at the beginning of the episode when he's talking to the girl and the camera angle changed and showed them next to the tank, that something dramatic was going to happen. And then, of course, in the previews for the next episode they show him with the tank outside the prison fence – which also explains why he killed Martinez & Pete but not Mitch: Martinez wouldn't have gone along with his revenge fantasy against the prison; Pete was too soft (according to him); and he needs Mitch to drive the tank.

Now, you wanna talk about something fucking stupid... WTF didn't Mitch kill "One-eye Bri" the first chance he got to avenge his brother's murder??????

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Also, concerning the zombies...
    There is no plausible scientific explanation for the existence of zombies in the first place, so there's no point in even going down that road because arguing anything beyond "zombie's can't exist" is moot.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

I want to know why there are no fat Zombies in the Walking Dead? It's like all the Zombies just came from the health club and are hungry.

Yeah, I think you just have to go with the flow--it's zombies so you have to have some suspension of disbelief or it's not going to work at all. I though the scene of the zombie mud pit was a bit nonlinear, but I think it was about the gov not being able to escape his fate--and he was doing so well. I guess it it shows he does care some, though the heart of a bastard still. So is next week the last for the season?

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post

There is no plausible scientific explanation for the existence of zombies in the first place, so there's no point in even going down that road because arguing anything beyond "zombie's can't exist" is moot.
    Not true! Zombie(ism?) has been studied and some researches have said that the condition of being a zombie - a contagion that would destroy the nervous system and reduce people to lower-level functionings only, with a desire to attack or consume a particular thing, passed along by saliva or other bodily fluids is something that could plausibly occur, given our biology. It's the honing in on human flesh and turning into one as soon as you die (without direction contact with the contagion) that is just the product of zombie-myth.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    So is next week the last for the season?
    No, it's the mid-season finale. But for the life of me, I can't find when the new episodes start in 2014.

Not true! Zombie(ism?) has been studied and some researches have said that the condition of being a zombie - a contagion that would destroy the nervous system and reduce people to lower-level functionings only, with a desire to attack or consume a particular thing, passed along by saliva or other bodily fluids is something that could plausibly occur, given our biology. It's the honing in on human flesh and turning into one as soon as you die (without direction contact with the contagion) that is just the product of zombie-myth.
    In a way, you're talking about two different things. Yes, I guess it's true that people could be infected by a virus or bacteria that would give the impression the infected are zombies, but they're not actual zombies, the mythology of which is what we've seen in most movies.

In addition to your last sentence, a standard element of zombie-ism that is most obviously impossible: having to destroy their brain to kill them. Anyone who's taken Physiology 101 can attest to that. The body is a complicated "machine", with interconnected processes, that requires oxygen & other chemicals to function; chiefly, sodium & potassium in the brain and, from what I recall, calcium in the muscles. Blood is the primary transport through which those chemicals are delivered. If you remove the lungs, you stop the process by which oxygen is delivered to the blood. If you remove the heart, you stop the process by which the blood is pumped, which delivers oxygen to the various parts of the body, and the brain cannot function without oxygen for more than approximately 6 minutes. So, anything that disrupts the flow of oxygen to the brain will kill anyone, regardless of their state.

But zombies that are easy to kill aren't as scary.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Zombies are as ridiculous as ghosts. The idea that a spirit of someone who died can move objects, rattle chains, appear in visions (with clothing on), talk, moan, or even possess someone, is pure loony.

Now, Dracula & The Wolf Man.... now we're talking real possibilities!

No, it's the mid-season finale. But for the life of me, I can't find when the new episodes start in 2014.

In a way, you're talking about two different things. Yes, I guess it's true that people could be infected by a virus or bacteria that would give the impression the infected are zombies, but they're not actual zombies, the mythology of which is what we've seen in most movies.

In addition to your last sentence, a standard element of zombie-ism that is most obviously impossible: having to destroy their brain to kill them. Anyone who's taken Physiology 101 can attest to that. The body is a complicated "machine", with interconnected processes, that requires oxygen & other chemicals to function; chiefly, sodium & potassium in the brain and, from what I recall, calcium in the muscles. Blood is the primary transport through which those chemicals are delivered. If you remove the lungs, you stop the process by which oxygen is delivered to the blood. If you remove the heart, you stop the process by which the blood is pumped, which delivers oxygen to the various parts of the body, and the brain cannot function without oxygen for more than approximately 6 minutes. So, anything that disrupts the flow of oxygen to the brain will kill anyone, regardless of their state.

But zombies that are easy to kill aren't as scary.
    The attempt to make it real is one reason why I liked the 28 Days Later movies. They were zombie-like, but they weren't re-animated corpses - they were people with a rage virus.

I knew the moment, at the beginning of the episode when he's talking to the girl and the camera angle changed and showed them next to the tank, that something dramatic was going to happen.
    I thought that this scene was another time shift to after the Governor has killed everyone else in the group because it seemed SO quiet and secluded. Like he killed them all, and it's just them left with the tank and a trailer.

I like the Governor coming back in S4, but think they could have held off on the attack until S5. Why not run two storylines, the Governor in one and Rick's group in the other. At some point a larger or multiple connected groups needs to happen.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

I want to know why there are no fat Zombies in the Walking Dead? It's like all the Zombies just came from the health club and are hungry.
    Fat zombies??? Why aren't there any hot naked chick zombies?!?

Second part of Season 4 starts February 2014.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

The attempt to make it real is one reason why I liked the 28 Days Later movies. They were zombie-like, but they weren't re-animated corpses - they were people with a rage virus.
    I would agree. From a logic standpoint “28 Days Later” was one of the best thought out zombie flicks of all time. “Walking Dead”……..not so much……..

Steve Sly

No bacteria in the gut to synthesize all those nutrients. Their assholes are like toilet flappers. That'd be the main reason to keep your settlement very well hidden.

Good cheezy mid season finale!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

The last 20 minutes were awesome - the previous 40 were mostly filler. "Hey Daryl, I just kicked Carol out of the group." "Oh cool, let's go tell Tyrese." Bad writers, no cookies for you. And man, the Gov still attacks a fortified position with hardly any plan again and expects a different result?

But the action was great. Zombies all over the place, tank blowin' up shit. fun stuff after the angst of major character death.

Oh, and nice ass shot of Maggie.
    Last edited by Jerjo; 12-01-2013 at 11:41 PM.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Great episode, and nice end to the first half.

Steve Sly

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post

It's for reasons like this , that TWD is a bad show.
    I understand your point. It's well taken. The Walking Dead isn't really about zombies. It's about survival and how the people relate to each other within that and It's about how people react to impossible situations involving survival. The zombie are just icing on the cake. It could have been a nuclear holocaust or some other traumatic event. This show just happen to use zombies.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Zombies are as ridiculous as ghosts. The idea that a spirit of someone who died can move objects, rattle chains, appear in visions (with clothing on), talk, moan, or even possess someone, is pure loony.

Now, Dracula & The Wolf Man.... now we're talking real possibilities!
    I tend to agree about ghosts but having said that I have seen/heard/experienced a few things in my life that I cannot explain. Not saying that there isn't some logical explanation, I'm just saying I can't explain it.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    "Hey Daryl, I just kicked Carol out of the group." "Oh cool, let's go tell Tyrese."
    Yeah, but that's a part of my "Carol" theory that I talked about earlier. Tyrese then took them to that rat food which is an unsolved mystery. Who was feeding rats to the zombies earlier in the season? So, who killed the two people? Was it Carol?....

I have a theory that the little blond girl killed them, and Carol is protecting her. Remember, Carol was teaching the little girls how to kill zombies, and she didn't want anyone to know about it, especially Rick. So, imagine the one girl goes off and kills the 2 infected people thinking she's got to kill the dying people.... Carol finds them dead, then trying to cover up the incident, she drags them out and burns them.

Carol is taking partial blame and covering it up for the girl. When they question Carol, she gets really upset and knocks over that water container. Then Carol gives lame excuses to Rick why she (herself) killed the people,... it doesn't make sense. Remember, Carol did not want Rick to know she was teaching the girls to kill.

Now, we see the same little girl going for guns in the battle, and blowing someone away square in the head. And she's become a pack leader, leading the other little girls. That was the same girl that was giving the zombies names in the season opener. She's the one feeding them rats, I think! Plus, she also saved Tyrese in the shootout, which brings it all full-circle.

Anyways, that's my theory! haha

Great mid-season finale. I think the Governor didn't really care what made sense, or if everyone died, he just wanted revenge. Though, I think they were stretching it that the people in his group would follow him so vigilantly. Especially tank boy... what was he so angry about? And why destroy the place you want to move into? No matter, great mindless action stuff!
    Last edited by Man In The Mountain; 12-03-2013 at 03:38 PM.