Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Worst Prog album cover

In Absentia is brilliant, disturbing, and is a difficult cover to look at - but so is the basic theme behind the album.
    A perfect match.

Touching...touching you...inside, inside, inside, inside...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

I'd nominate Starcastle's debut (and to a lesser extent, Rainbow's debut).

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    There comes a point when a cover is so bad it's almost good - the Gong one for example.
    Well, the inner gatefold does make up a bit for the atrocious outer fold... love those vagina close-ups
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Scorpions aren't prog. Thus sayeth I.

Quote Originally Posted by DGuitarist View Post
    In Absentia is brilliant, disturbing, and is a difficult cover to look at - but so is the basic theme behind the album.
    A perfect match.
    A very cool cover for the above reason. When the first person but that down as a worst cover, I couldn't see how that would be on the same list as Big Generator. (I like Talk's simple cover, dislike OYE simple cover. Nothing at all wrong with 90125's cover)

Speaking of prog covers, why is the new remaster of Rush's Hemispheres a new cover??

I’d stick the original British cover to Misplaced Ideals by Sad Café here but... a) it’s not prog and b) it turns my stomach too much to look at it again. Yuck!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I actually like In Absentia.
    I love the album, but the cover gives me the willies. Especially from a band whose covers are mostly extremely interesting, if not always exactly beautiful.

Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

Acquiring The Taste is a definite frontrunner.

Suspended
    Any progressive rock album that features the band/artist on the cover is automatically uncool, in my opinion. It raises alarm bells. It suggests the music is no longer selling itself, and that the performers are starting to think of themselves as developing a personality cult.

Yes, to their credit, stopped that practice after their third album.

Any progressive rock album that features the band/artist on the cover is automatically uncool, in my opinion. It raises alarm bells. It suggests the music is no longer selling itself, and that the performers are starting to think of themselves as developing a personality cult.

Yes, to their credit, stopped that practice after their third album.
    They only started it on their third album.

Question:
    When walking around school in tough, bleak, early 1980's northern England.
    Carrying which of these albums under your arm is most likely to get you beaten up?

Option 1: Naked Man showing arse

Option 2: Naked Man showing arse in 'gay' pose

Option 3:
    When not wasting time here, wasting time at:
    historyofliverpool.com

What's the one where a chicken is standing in a frying pan with a cooked egg in it?
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Umphrey's McGee- the Bottom Half. Not sure if it qualifies as prog or not.
    Despite the "jamband" tag, UM is a prog band, they're more "progressive" than some of the stuff that's touted on here. Seen them live 5 times, great shows every time.

Love Beach got mentioned, nothing to add to that. Tarkus is a great album cover, the inside gatefold is terrific too, it fits perfectly with the title track. Trilogy is meh, I wish they'd used the photo in the gatefold of multiple E, L & P's running through a forest instead.
    ...or you could love

Eulenspiegel (sp?) There's a lot worse than that one, imo.
    "If you want to see the true nature of humanity, just look at the internet."

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Suspended
    Probably not prog, but worth mentioning in any list of all-time worst album covers:

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Eulenspiegel (sp?)
    Eulenspygel 2. There seem to be two versions: one with just the live chick standing on an egg, and one with the addition of a baby chick that has been cooked.

Probably not prog, but worth mentioning in any list of all-time worst album covers:

Wow.

How did I ever miss seeing this. This is...truly...a bad cover.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This space for rent: Well established location. Perfect opportunity for an up and coming smart-ass to benefit from our years of provocation!

"You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I was going to say "pick any cover by Paul Whitehead," but some of the covers posted here take the cake.

And, the truly sad thing is, the music inside that cover is equal to the cover in quality!

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Eulenspiegel (sp?) There's a lot worse than that one, imo.
    like the early Birth Control ones??

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by InnerPixels View Post
    Fireballet: Two, Too...Attachment 5534 ?

Always hated this one, good pick..!

In the Court of the Crimson King... when I wake up in the morning and look in the mirror

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Wow.

How did I ever miss seeing this. This is...truly...a bad cover.
    It is, however, based on a true story of lunar cocktail sausages planning to invade the Earth. Of course, it never happened, but only because CSN spilled the beans and they had to target another planet.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Upcoming prog (& beyond) shows in France - http://www.bigbangmag.com/agenda.php