Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What's the oldest still-active band with all the original members?

What's the oldest still-active band with all the original members?

I can't think of any. I put it to the megabrains on the board.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I can't think of any. I put it to the megabrains on the board.
    Zebra. Don't know if they are the oldest but all originals since early 80's and still playing today

Apart from Rush I'm struggling !

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Apart from Rush I'm struggling !
    Rush isn't the original band. John Rutsy was the drummer on the first album...

OK...ZZ Top !

ZZ Top probably wins.

U2 was my first thought.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    ZZ Top probably wins.

U2 was my first thought.
    Pet Shop Boys & OMD . All two original members LOL!

ZZ Top is an American rock band formed in June 1969 in Houston, Texas. The band consists of guitarist and lead vocalist Billy Gibbons, bassist and co-lead vocalist Dusty Hill, and drummer Frank Beard. The band and its members went through a several reconfigurations throughout 1969, achieving their current form when Hill replaced bassist Billy Etheridge in February 1970, shortly before the band was signed to London Records. Etheridge's departure emanated primarily from his unwillingness to be bound by a recording contract.
    The band formed in Dublin on 25 September 1976.[4] Larry Mullen, Jr., then a 14-year-old student at Mount Temple Comprehensive School, posted a note on the school's notice board in search of musicians for a new band—six people responded. Setting up in his kitchen, Mullen was on drums, with Paul Hewson (Bono) on lead vocals; David Evans (The Edge) and his older brother Dik Evans on guitar; Adam Clayton, a friend of the Evans brothers on bass guitar; and initially Ivan McCormick and Peter Martin, two other friends of Mullen.[5] Mullen later described it as "'The Larry Mullen Band' for about ten minutes, then Bono walked in and blew any chance I had of being in charge." Soon after, the group settled on the name "Feedback" because it was one of the few technical terms they knew.[6] Martin did not return after the first practice, and McCormick left the group within a few weeks. Most of the group's initial material consisted of cover songs, which the band admitted was not their forté.[7]
    Wikipedia

Motley Crue !

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I can't think of any.
    You can't think of any active bands with all the original members???

I can think of hundreds of bands that are five years old with all the original members. Oldest doesn't need to be that old if the oldest one we can come up with is only 5 years old for example.

U2
    IQ
    Mesh
    Madness
    Black Sabbath - still technically active with the original 4, because a few years ago the line up with Dio called itself Heaven & Hell, while the Ozzy line up used the BS name.
    The Cranberries

Just for starters

Aerosmith would be up there too, no? I know Joe Perry and Brad Whitford left in the early 80s but rejoined later.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

meimjustalawnmower
    Depends on what you mean by "active". Up to two weeks ago, it could be The Rascals.

Quote Originally Posted by 80s were ok View Post
    Zebra. Don't know if they are the oldest but all originals since early 80's and still playing today
    Or King's X.

The Tubes may be a contender. They go back to the early 70's or maybe late 60's in some incarnation and I *think* they are performing today with all members that were in the band originally (though not, to be sure, all the original members). They may have a ringer keyboard player now, I need to Google them...

Gah, dammit, they have a non-original guy, David Medd.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Or King's X.

The Tubes may be a contender. They go back to the early 70's or maybe late 60's in some incarnation and I *think* they are performing today with all members that were in the band originally (though not, to be sure, all the original members). They may have a ringer keyboard player now, I need to Google them...
    they are not. Missing at least one or two members. Just saw them last year.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by meimjustalawnmower View Post
    Depends on what you mean by "active". Up to two weeks ago, it could be The Rascals.
    i don't think it's fair to include groups that weren't together for decades and then coming back for a reunion.

meimjustalawnmower
    i don't think it's fair to include groups that weren't together for decades and then coming back for a reunion.
    Oh sorry, dude. I didn't see that as part of the criteria. Even ZZ Top broke up before coming back with the silly beards and furry guitar shtick that they've been doing for the last 30 years. Obviously then, the answer is U2, because only one in a thousand people on the street would even know who Zebra is. Thread over.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Black Sabbath - still technically active with the original 4, because a few years ago the line up with Dio called itself Heaven & Hell, while the Ozzy line up used the BS name.
    Bill Ward is back in?
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Banned
    Oh sorry, dude. I didn't see that as part of the criteria. Even ZZ Top broke up before coming back with the silly beards and furry guitar shtick that they've been doing for the last 30 years. Obviously then, the answer is U2, because only one in a thousand people on the street would even know who Zebra is. Thread over.
    oh my god dude.... just an opinion and actually a lot people here know Zebra.

meimjustalawnmower
    actually a lot people here know Zebra.
    A lot of people here have unmade beds in their parent's basements. So what's your point?

A lot of people here have unmade beds in their parent's basements. So what's your point?
    Zebra fans don't make their beds in their parent's basement.

meimjustalawnmower
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
    Zebra fans don't make their beds in their parent's basement.
    I just said that.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Bill Ward is back in?
    Ah, that's news on me, when did he leave?

I just said that.

You could have been speaking about fans of Europe or Cinderella. I was tying it down for you.

Cheap Trick