Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 101 to 118 of 118

Thread: What's the oldest still-active band with all the original members?

  1. #101
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,280
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    That's where the fun is.
    Best song ever!!!
    Prog's Not Dead

  2. #102
    Golden Earring plays in the same line-up since 1970, although they have had some extra players.
    Of course, first it was Golden Earrings, but when the line-up was Barry Hay, Rinus Gerritsen, Cesar Zuiderwijk and George Kooymans the name was changed to Golden Earring.

  3. #103
    Spinal Tap! - except for the dead drummers, but if you are counting Rush, clearly drummers don't count...
    How about Mungo Jerry?
    I got nothin'

    ...avoiding any implication that I have ever entertained a cognizant thought.

  4. #104
    Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    Spinal Tap! - except for the dead drummers, but if you are counting Rush, clearly drummers don't count...
    Do bass players count? Because their original bassist was Ronnie Pudding. If memory serves, he left the band right after they recording the Listen To The Flower People single, in 1967 and was then replaced by Derek Smalls. Also they've had several different keyboardists over the years, too.

  5. #105
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Do bass players count? Because their original bassist was Ronnie Pudding. If memory serves, he left the band right after they recording the Listen To The Flower People single, in 1967 and was then replaced by Derek Smalls. Also they've had several different keyboardists over the years, too.
    I Didn't think that one thru, did I?
    I got nothin'

    ...avoiding any implication that I have ever entertained a cognizant thought.

  6. #106
    Jazzbo manqué Mister Triscuits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Utopia
    Posts
    2,266
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Do bass players count?
    Only to four.

  7. #107
    Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    I Didn't think that one thru, did I?
    Yeah, that's pathetic, isn't it? My "useless information" knowledge of rock music even extends to fictitious bands.

  8. #108
    Member Lopez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Medford, Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,534
    Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    clearly drummers don't count...
    How about Mungo Jerry?
    Mungo Jerry has had a lot of players over their 50 on-and-off years of existence. Ray Dorset is the only original member left. On their first album, there was no drummer.
    Lou

    Awarded the Krusty Brand Seal of Approval. It's not just good, it's good enough.

  9. #109
    Well, one thing has never changed: Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young are still fighting. Time swiftly passes, but folks are still asses.

    http://https://themusicuniverse.com/david-crosby-says-csny-reunion-up-neil-young/
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

    Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

  10. #110
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Yeah, that's pathetic, isn't it? My "useless information" knowledge of rock music even extends to fictitious bands.
    I would be really worried if you were able to tell us which gear Ronnie Pudding used on his post-Spinal Tap project The Pudding People.

  11. #111
    Quote Originally Posted by Interstellar View Post
    I would be really worried if you were able to tell us which gear Ronnie Pudding used on his post-Spinal Tap project The Pudding People.
    Well, that's one piece of the puzzle I'm relieved to say, I'm clueless about.

    Seriously, if one wishes to seek out the material, there's a lot of stuff, official and otherwise, that fills in a lot of the gaps in Spinal Tap's "career". I've never seen the outtakes reel, but I gather they had enough material to make a 3 or 4 hour movie, so who knows how much is elaborated upon there. There was a (according to Wikipedia "now rare") coffee table book which I borrowed once from the library, there's the liner notes of the soundtrack album (which presents itself as a "best of") and various other interviews, TV specials and such that they've in the last 35 years! And I've just happened to have come in contact with a lot of that material (at least the stuff they did up to around the Break Like The Wind era).
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:27 PM.

  12. #112
    Studmuffin Scott Bails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Near Philly, PA
    Posts
    4,101
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Only to four.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    Well, one thing has never changed: Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young are still fighting. Time swiftly passes, but folks are still asses.

    http://https://themusicuniverse.com/david-crosby-says-csny-reunion-up-neil-young/
    I had heard that Nash was done with Crosby. I'm curious as to what happened. Those two always seemed to me to have the closest bond.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

  13. #113
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I had heard that Nash was done with Crosby. I'm curious as to what happened. Those two always seemed to me to have the closest bond.
    I dunno about Nash, but apparently Neil got upset because Cros said some mean things about his new girlfriend or whatever. So Neil didn't want to have anything to do with Cros after that.

  14. #114
    cunning linguist 3LockBox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Posts
    1,255
    I remember hearing a long time ago that Crosby was a mean drunk. What's he on now, his third liver transplant?

  15. #115
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I remember hearing a long time ago that Crosby was a mean drunk. What's he on now, his third liver transplant?
    He's gone through so many livers the doctors nicknamed him Pâté.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

    Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

  16. #116
    Do you know thise groups will be in Kiev this summer

  17. #117
    Member progholio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    st louis
    Posts
    465
    For honorable mention i would say Vanilla Fudge, my understanding is Tim Bogert would be there but health problems prevent him from touring (i highly recommend catching them, Mark Stine sounds as good as ever).

    Also The Zombies still touring with 4 of 5 original members doing Odessey & Oracle, i'll give them a pass since Paul Atkinson is dead.

    When you think about it it's hard to find a legacy act that doesn't have at least 1 dead member, it's a tough business.

  18. #118
    Studmuffin Scott Bails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Near Philly, PA
    Posts
    4,101
    Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post

    Also The Zombies still touring with 4 of 5 original members doing Odessey & Oracle, i'll give them a pass since Paul Atkinson is dead.
    They were incredible on the RRHoF Induction ceremony.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •