Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What's the oldest still-active band with all the original members?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Cheap Trick
    nope- Bun E Carlos has been out for several years now.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by meimjustalawnmower View Post
    A lot of people here have unmade beds in their parent's basements. So what's your point?

Obviously then, the answer is U2
    Nah... I still say Aerosmith. Sabbath is even earlier but without Ward still, they don't count.

Edit: Sorry, ZZ Top is the clear winner, didn't realize until I checked that they've been around '69.
    Last edited by Progatron; 12-26-2012 at 06:03 PM.
    Two boys have been found rubbing linseed oil into the school cormorant.

meimjustalawnmower
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
    You could have been speaking about fans of Europe or Cinderella. I was tying it down for you.
    I could've been speaking about fans of YES or KC. But thanks.

If reunion tours count then Status Quo preceed ZZ Top. There's talk of the original line up recording again also ¡

Member Emeritus (A.M.P.) rcarlberg's Avatar
    ZZ Top appears to have been inactive for only two years since 1969, so they look like a contender:
    The band went on what was supposed to be a 90-day break from public appearances. Gibbons traveled to Europe, Beard had gone to Jamaica, and Hill went to Mexico.[2] The break extended to two years, during which Gibbons and Hill grew chest-length beards:

“ Bill [Ham] called a band meeting, and when the three members arrived, they noticed something had changed during their time apart. They had always had some form of facial hair, with Frank usually sporting a mustache, while Billy and Dusty had scruffy little beards no more than an inch or two long. Things were quite different now. "I walk into the room, and I'm lookin' at a guy I think I know," Billy laughs. "My beard has grown to doormat proportions. And I realize that Dusty had done the same thing." Ironically, Frank Beard was the only clean-shaven member, having hacked off his mustache and goatee so he would look presentable for the meeting.[3]
    Can anybody come up with a band older than 43 years together?

Aerosmith certainly deserve an honorable mention though:

meimjustalawnmower
    Glass Harp?

Glass Harp?
    Nope.
    In 1968, Keaggy and longtime friend drummer John Sferra, along with bassist Steve Markulin, formed the band Glass Harp. The band gigged in and around the Youngstown, Ohio area [...]

With tour of East Coast colleges and universities having already been booked for September 1972 in support of It Makes Me Glad, Sferra and Pecchio replaced Keaggy with guitarist Tim Burks.[6][7] In April 1973,[8] violinist Randy Benson (formerly of Tiny Alice[9]) was added to the lineup. The music of four-piece lineup took on a more progressive edge, similar to King Crimson and The Moody Blues (while studio and live radio broadcast recordings exist[10] from this period, they remain officially unreleased as of 2012). This brief incarnation of the group lasted into October 1973, when they reverted back to the trio of Sferra/Pecchio/Burks following Benson's departure.[11] Their last known concert before disbanding was on December 2, 1973 at Norwalk High School, Norwalk, Ohio.[12] All three members immediately moved on to other projects. Sferra and Burks formed the short-lived group Hartship in 1974,[1] while Pecchio became a founding member of the popular Michael Stanley Band.

1981-1997
    In April 1981, Glass Harp reunited when Sferra and Pecchio made surprise appearances at two consecutive Phil Keaggy solo concerts in Ohio [...]

ZZ Top is the winner for sure.

PE's Paul Sears (spouse of Deb Progluvr) and his band The (great) Muffins have the same people in the band that they've had since 1976.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Up until 15 years ago the answer was The Four Tops. Had all original members from 1953 to 1997.
    Last edited by Jay G; 12-27-2012 at 04:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    PE's Paul Sears (spouse of Deb Progluvr) and his band The (great) Muffins have the same people in the band that they've had since 1976.
    But they split for something like two decades.

But they're active now with the same people, so the hiatus (however long) means nothing in the context of the original post.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Banned
    meh

meimjustalawnmower
    But they're active now with the same people, so the hiatus (however long) means nothing in the context of the original post.
    Rascals win!

I started this thread, so I can say now, ex post facto,the band had to have been CONTINUOUSLY active. Reunions don't count. Sorry Paul, sorry Deb!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I started this thread, so I can say now, ex post facto,the band had to have been CONTINUOUSLY active. Reunions don't count. Sorry Paul, sorry Deb!
    It's the PE community, not the first poster, that matters!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I vote for Paul!

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    It's the PE community, not the first poster, that matters!
    Well if reunions count, the Muffins (1973) are well eclipsed by Glass (1968), all original members back together again.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 12-27-2012 at 03:37 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    correct- that is what I was trying to tell others but some people don't listen. Bands like the Rascals don't count at all for this discussion. Great band though. Felix is great too on his own (which is the only Rascal I've seen)

Quote Originally Posted by 80s were ok View Post
    correct- that is what I was trying to tell others but some people don't listen.
    They never do. It's like the live albums recorded during a single concert thread, where people just started posting whichever random live album they happened to like, even when it was obviously drawn from multiple concert (eg King Crimson The Great Deceiver). And in that instance, the criteria for the thread was carefully laid out in the first post.

meimjustalawnmower
    ZZ Top took two years off. The collective members of Aerosmith wouldn't know how many days are in a year. U2 never stopped. Figure it out.

Banned
    all bands take breaks either for family issues or whatnot. Taking two years off is not the same as a band breaking up and not working for two or three decades followed by a reunion tour. I would say ZZ TOP never stopped. So it appears they are the winner?

ZZ Top had some lineup changes very early on...........just sayin'.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chipperoo View Post
    ZZ Top had some lineup changes very early on...........just sayin'.
    I'm hardly an expert but wikipedia lists three former members of ZZ TOP so I guess they are out!