Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516

Thread: RS declares the Top 50 Prog albums of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Thanks!

One down, millions to go!
    I generally like to take my information from someone like Steve who has been around the block... and has a working knowledge from the inside of this small market we love so much. It really must be a hell of a time to be operating a business in this new paradigm.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post

Let's use McDonald's as a comparison. We all agree that their burgers are crap, but they're the most popular. Well, they're in trouble. Other chains catering to a more "gourmet" burger or a healthier choice are giving them a run for their money. So much so, that they're changing their product and the way they serve it, in some cases.

All I'm saying is that music is similar. Stop catering to the throw-away consumer and go after the connoisseurs. Just a little bit. Even it out some. There's a market there.

Again, I'm not saying to throw away the model they have now, just tweak it.
    What if the gourmet burgers had a special spicy sauce (by default) that didn't cost more, but the average person that eats burgers doesn't like it? I totally get the idea of going after niche, if there is too much competition in mainstream. But niche may not make enough money unless the price is higher and people consider it worth paying for. In general, if people are exposed to smaller doses of niche, and then elevated slowly over time, then niche could become mainstream. If there were really competition, Music companies would develop ways to beat the status quo. Problem is that in the US, the government has allowed monopolies in information and has not appreciated the importance of competition in ideas. College radio and Public TV has not filled the gap either. The good news is that the Internet has allowed the niche to thrive (or just even exist).

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    But niche may not make enough money unless the price is higher and people consider it worth paying for.
    No one was ever willing to pay more for 'niche music'.

Now, since the default value of music for a very large % of people in general is 'free' and even on PE where 'interested, motivated listeners' gather to discuss music, a very sizable percentage of people are unwilling to pay for music, you have summed up the problem in a nutshell.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Banned
    No one was ever willing to pay more for 'niche music'.

Now, since the default value of music for a very large % of people in general is 'free' and even on PE where 'interested, motivated listeners' gather to discuss music, a very sizable percentage of people are unwilling to pay for music, you have summed up the problem in a nutshell.
    Or you have

I was one of the first wave of people who glommed on to Napster. It was very much a "I like one song by them, why should I pay $15 for the full album?" mentality. Of course, the downside was that in the days of 56k downloads, it took almost 8 hours to download the whole 17 minute In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida. Now, I use Soulseek to find long out of print opera and orchestral stuff, bootlegs and stuff like Beach Boys session tapes, I'll also use it as a preview service. I still buy CD's (and for movies, DVD's and Blu-Ray's), much to the bemusement of some of my friends, who haven't paid for anything in a decade.
    ...or you could love

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Bender View Post
    I was one of the first wave of people who glommed on to Napster. It was very much a "I like one song by them, why should I pay $15 for the full album?" mentality. Of course, the downside was that in the days of 56k downloads, it took almost 8 hours to download the whole 17 minute In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida. Now, I use Soulseek to find long out of print opera and orchestral stuff, bootlegs and stuff like Beach Boys session tapes, I'll also use it as a preview service. I still buy CD's (and for movies, DVD's and Blu-Ray's), much to the bemusement of some of my friends, who haven't paid for anything in a decade.
    When an artist puts out an album that contains only one or two worthwhile tracks, it tests the moral fibre of even the best of us. Like you, I don't like paying for filler. My usual response in that situation is not to pay anything at all, and not to download anything either, just listen to the songs I like once in a while on Spotify or YouTube.

I appreciate the points made about the quality of popular music being driven mostly by the general listening public - but I also think there is a certain arrogance on the part of artists or record companies lazily filliing up a disc with material they know to be inferior just so they can charge the price of an album, and then expecting people to pay full price.

sigh.

"OK! I admit it. I run a label and you got me fair and square. It's MY fucking fault. If only I had worked just a little harder, PROG would be on everyone's lips now."

Uh, Steve...

I kind of dropped out of the conversation coz I wasn't around for two days.

I don't know if what I will say goes for most everyone here, but I do not include you or Ken, AltRock or Moonjune as "the music industry" (Vicky and Esoteric is different ballgame though). Your small labels are anything but industrial multinational congliomerates

Just thought I'd let you know that

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    How many teenage girls would be interested in the music of SGM?
    You might be surprised if this was (force)fed 10 times a day in their skulls. Especially if there are odd-looking chicks in the band (like SGM).

That might have been true when people weren't stealing the burgers. Now the public are stealing the burgers and the industry has zero incentive or interest in trying to develop anything long term because they rightly believe there is no future in music besides investing in Spotify and making as much money as they can off of those stolen burgers.
    sad bit somehow true...

Now saying there is no future is another step that I'm not ready to take (but you are so much more informed than moi) , yet.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.