Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Aerosmith- their best albums?

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    Aerosmith is one of those rare bands that literally had two careers.......the dropoff was so bad that, by the early 80s, they were pretty much non-existant, but they recovered and started a second career that produced some excellent albums during their second reign. Both "Permanent Vacation" (1987) and especially "Pump" (1989) are both excellent albums that rank right up there with the four mentioned above and shouldn't be ignored IMO

Edit: I also like "Draw The Line" very much
    I agree. I love the first four, and like Draw the Line a lot too. But I also love Pump. It's a somewhat different beast, more polished and slick, but for what it is I think it's fantastic. For some reason I don't have Permanent Vacation, I thought I did, but don't. So I probably need to correct that. I also should probably explore Night in the Ruts. I sort of wrote it off because of no Perry, but the little I've heard from it is actually pretty good.

Anyway, the first four are some of the best hard rock I've ever heard and I think anyone into that style should have those albums. After that, it can be hit or miss, but there's a lot worth exploring from Draw the Line onward.

Bill

I really love Toys. Every song is great. Plus, that album has a certain "strut" to it I find lacking in the other albums. After reading this I may have to revisit some of the other older ones, and see if I cant get myself to like more of their material. as for their later ballads - wholescale barf!

the first three. lost interest after Toys so i never heard Rocks or anything after it.
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UnephenStephen View Post
    the first three. lost interest after Toys so i never heard Rocks or anything after it.

Rocks is the band's strongest release.

You stopped one release short.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

why can't i post that stupid Youtube video? i tried [ VIDEO ] and [ YT ] and i still get a url..
    in any case, it was Seasons of Wither
    Last edited by UnephenStephen; 07-01-2015 at 06:17 PM.

Unevensong - Camel

I played my cd version of Rocks and have to get a good vinyl copy of this because the cd sounds like crap. Love the music though.

I think the first four Aerosmith albums are a basic bedrock of American hard rock...so great and influential. My personal favorite, and one of my favorite albums of all time, is Rocks. IMO, it's essential for anybody that calls themselves a rock fan. Of the first four, I find Toys in the Attic the weakest, but that's a relative term. Really I like everything up until their huge "comeback" album, Permanent Vacation (although Done With Mirrors was the real comeback, and is a really underrated and in-your-face album).

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    I agree. I love the first four, and like Draw the Line a lot too. But I also love Pump. It's a somewhat different beast, more polished and slick, but for what it is I think it's fantastic. For some reason I don't have Permanent Vacation, I thought I did, but don't. So I probably need to correct that. I also should probably explore Night in the Ruts. I sort of wrote it off because of no Perry, but the little I've heard from it is actually pretty good.

Bill
    Perry is on "Ruts". Although he did leave the band during the recording of the album they had already recorded a good chunk of it by the time that happened. Given all the turmoil in the band at the time it is a surprisingly good album.

Play it loud - they did

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Unevensong - Camel

Seasons Of Wither is easily in my top ten Aerosmith songs.

Does anybody besides me have a hard time understanding Steven Tyler's lyrics? Lot's of 'em like,"Season's of Wither", baffle me!

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Rocks is the band's strongest release.
    this...

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    You stopped one release short.
    And This...

=================

Now I can understand that one could lose interest since Toys is not ,nearly as good as the first two (despite two amazing tracks)....

But Rocks is infaillible (despite a fairly ugly cover)

>>> OK, I'm already gone
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    Does anybody besides me have a hard time understanding Steven Tyler's lyrics? Lot's of 'em like,"Season's of Wither", baffle me!
    Yeah, he and Robert Plant were masters of mush-mouthed words. When I was a kid, I think in some ways it sort of added a little mystique to the songs

"Seasons Of Wither"

Blues hearted lady, sleepy was she
    Love for the devil brought her to me
    Tears of a thousand drawn to her sin
    Seasons of wither holdin' me in
    Oooh woe is me, I feel so badly for you
    Oooh woe is me, I feel so sadly for you in time
    Bound to lose your mind
    Live on borrowed time
    Take the wind right out of your sail
    Fireflies dance in the heat of
    Hound dogs that bay at the moon
    My ship leaves in the midnight
    Can't say I'll be back too soon
    They awaken, far far away
    Heat of my candle show me the way
    Tears of a thousand drawn to her sin
    Seasons of wither holdin' me in

Ok. Not as unintelligible as I had thought. Still can't really figure out what he's singing about, though.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    This was what elevated them above the more 'meat and potatoes' rock bands of that time IMHO. Songs like that, 'Dream On', 'You See Me Crying', 'Round And Round', 'Nobody's Fault', 'Kings And Queens' etc. were thoughtful and interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    Ok. Not as unintelligible as I had thought. Still can't really figure out what he's singing about, though.
    Neither does Tyler, IMHO

I never actually cared to understand his lyrics, unless easily understandable/audible , like in Dream On (and most of their debut album).

Tyler never struck me as a very profound person.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Most of that whole Get Your Wings album is amongst my fave

A1 Same Old Song and Dance 3:53
    A2 Lord of the Thighs 4:15(especially the Live Bbotleg version)
    B1 S.O.S. (Too Bad) 2:50
    B2 Train Kept a Rollin' 6:05
    B3 Seasons of Wither 5:07

are all within my top 15

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Most of that whole Get Your Wings album is amongst my fave

A1 Same Old Song and Dance 3:53
    A2 Lord of the Thighs 4:15(especially the Live Bbotleg version)
    B1 S.O.S. (Too Bad) 2:50
    B2 Train Kept a Rollin' 6:05
    B3 Seasons of Wither 5:07

are all within my top 15
    Yep. I have a soft spot for this one as it's the first Aerosmith album I ever heard. My friends & I used to get wasted listening to this.