Thread: Colossus Projects

Banned

Colossus Projects

As evidenced by the general run of the mill posts here at PE, there are many bands getting short shrift.
    This speaks of major lacunae in your collections.

Case in point: Perhaps the major transgression is failure to recognize the largest of them all, the massive output of Colossus.

As you know the Unpriviledged and Unknowing are not allowed entry into the celestial pavillions of Pwog; lack of knowledge of prog gobbets as large as Colossus can but compound your sin.

It goes without saying, you would be wise to bathe yourselves in the pure waters of -certainly- over 30 hours worth of Colossus material , free of samplers, drum-machines - indeed it being stipulated that vintage instruments be used.

I myself marvel at the consistency of excellent exhibited in going from one theme set to another, and how many of the lesser-know bands have put their best material out, not on their band cds, but on the projects.

We are talking of sets like:
    the 3 Spaghetti Western discs
    The Odyssey
    Kalevala Epic
    Dante's Inferno & Purgatorio
    Giallo
    Treasure Island
    Colossus of Rhodes
    etc.

This should give those needing info....info: http://www.colossus.fi/qso/

Manditory course listening, Jimmehs.

So then, what youse think of this series?
    Last edited by Jymbot; 12-26-2012 at 10:50 AM.

One of the good things that happened in the past 10 years to promote prog rock. Although during their listening feels a certain lack of cohesion due to the diversity of bands (does not sound like one band album) this does not bother me. I like all projects except the "Iliad" that I do not have it (2 hours of boring solo piano for me).

I have most of the Colossus projects to date and find them all quite satisfying. Both musically (I love the diversity of the artists) and visually (the packaging spares no expense and isquite beautifully done). If you're looking for a 70's experience with new music, this is as good as it gets.

Banned

whats a good supplier of these via the 'net ( for North America) ?

"Angels die, redemption rages
    The age of man on an empty page
    And chances are
    This will save your soul or break it forever "

I've become a huge fan of the various "Colossus Projects", with my favorites being "The Odyssey" and "Colossus of Rhodes". But really, all the ones I have are really good, a collection of familiar and unfamiliar groups, with very few clunkers. Despite the themes, I look at these as just collection of great symphonic prog. I find the "Spaghetti Epic" to be a difficult match for prog, but some of these groups really pull it off. Instead of just country tinged cowboy songs, or Ennio Morricone immitations, we get some rather challenging takes on some classic films. #3 sadly directed me to watch "The Great Silence", which was great up until the most horrific movie ending in history. But a cool album anyway.

So far I own and really enjoy the following:

The Odyssey
    Colossus of Rhodes
    Treasure Island
    The 7 Samauri
    Spaghetti Epic 1,2 & 3
    Kalevala

The last one, Kalevala is based on Finnish mythology, which I'm totally unfamiliar with. This is 3 discs, and most tracks are under 10 minutes. A lot of artists here I know nothing of. But a lot of strong sympohonic prog, quite a good collection despite the unknown source material to me anyway.

What am I dying to get next? Definitely the Dante trilogy -I beleive its 10 to 12 discs or so, lots of bands I already like.

The thing is, most of these songs are only available on these sets, they are recorded specifically for this. There is a Glass Hammer track they did for Odyssey, and its not on any GH album -you can buy a download off their website. But I'd rather buy the collection and get all these groups that include many they are new to me. Great way to discover muisc, especially for sympg-prog fans. Is it retro? Absolutley, totally as advertised. Just good quality music, it doesn't have to break new ground to be enjoyable. But it's hardly clone music either. All in all, some wonderful collections, and some cool packaging too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jymbot View Post

This should give those needing info....info: http://www.colossus.fi/qso/
    Any info available in English?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Banned
    HaHa!
    He fell for the old Finnish linkiepoo boondoggle.