Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any other Italian bands that sound like Osanna?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post
    Perhaps you aren't listening closely enough

Lino Viaretti is an icon
    Alvaro Fella is 17 times the vocalist Vairetti ever was, to my ears. He had the madcap vox down to detail, including every possible nuance and variation, and he wrote interesting lyrics to go with that force. Hearing Vairetti sing about some bloody "Fog In My Mind" remains, eh... Not very exciting. He's great on El Tor, though - avoiding the trappings of those Scorpions-antics and sticking to form. But Alvaro Fella, I really dig his voice.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Jumbo came very highly recommended to me by people who I knew at the time and respected, but I've never been able to really connect with them

Jumbo.JPG

To each his own

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

"When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by jeffo621 View Post

I just pre-ordered it!
    Where did you pre-order? I checked the usual suspects but could only find MP3 downloads on Amazon (US & UK). I need the physical media ;-)

WJ

I'm SO GLAD I opened this thread....I'm getting some great suggestions for bands I've never heard of before. I LOVE Osanna so this will be a great journey of discovery for me.

Thanks PE community !!

I'm digging Jumbo - Vietato as I type..

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    I'm digging Jumbo - Vietato as I type..
    this is agrower too... the more you listen to it and DNA.... the more...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Arnold View Post
    Quick question though on these imbedded you tube videos (with apologies to the OP for this thread intrusion ), seems to me these clips used to have an icon one could click to view in full-screen mode. I don't see that icon anymore. Was I imagining that you used to be able to do that? (The full-screen option is there when you're on the you tube website.)
    If you put your pointer on the YouTube logo in the bottom right-hand corner it will say "Watch on youtube.com", click and it will play in a new tab and then you can go full screen.

The new Palepoli is fantastic

Disc One is the new material and more "modern", but has the all the hallmarks I love about Osanna, seeped in Italian folk, great vocal harmonies, earworm Italian pop, great songs

Disc Two is a complete version of the classic, IMO the best "remake" from any of the RPI greats

Faithful to the original, yet different enough to be very interesting

Love these guys

BG

chalkpie
    ^ That is great news - thanks for the update. I definitely need to hear the remake, although I usually end up being disappointed with these sort of things. Going in positive, though

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    ^ That is great news - thanks for the update. I definitely need to hear the remake, although I usually end up being disappointed with these sort of things. Going in positive, though
    I'm very confident you will like the remake

I usually too am disappointed with the remakes, even the better ones like Latte e Mielle / Passio

This one is going to have staying power for me I think

The first disc may be slanted more to Italian pop, and is more akin to the "post Landscape" feel, but I think it's very good, love a few of the songs

It has angelic voice of Sophya Baccini on three cuts, whats not to like?

Please weigh in after you've had a listen, it pleases me to no end to see some much love for Palepoli

BG

browsing through some Italian stuff this morning. more than likely, you already know these but they hit the spot for me!

Corte Dei Miracoli - Corte dei Miracoli (1976)

NUOVA IDEA - Clowns (1973)

Maxophone - Maxophone (1975)

i.ain't.dead.irock

De De Lind - Io Non So Da Dove Vengo e Non So Dove Mai Andrò, Uomo è Il Nome Che Mi Hanno Dato (1973)

Osanna & David Jackson - L'uomo/Oro Caldo/Mind Files/L'amore Vincerà di nuovo/Ce vulesse/Theme One - Live at Prog Exhibition 2010

The Trip - Live at Prog Exhibition 2010

i.ain't.dead.irock

proggosaurus wrote:
    Corte Dei Miracoli - Corte dei Miracoli (1976)
    Hehe - I took note of their name, and then ventured over to italianprog.com to read up on them. However, when I went to the "C" section I knew I was looking for (something that begins with a C) di (something that begins with an M) and stopped at Campo di Marte. I liked what I read, listened to some samples, then downloaded their s/t album from Amazon. Then I realized I checked out a completely different band!

However, Campo di Marte are very good - maybe a bit more towards that heavy Museo Rosenbach sound, yet with the additions of French Horn and two flutists (!) to make for a really interesting mix.

^

That Campo di Marte album is rather underrated. A bit raw on the edges, but quite rewarding overall. It's incoherent, though - with too many loose melodic ends (IMO).

The sole proper Corte dei Miracoli record (there were at least one archival release of demo recordings from their rehearsal space) is mostly very good, with some truly outstanding, breezy atmospheres and harmonies. I never really likened it much to Osanna, though.

And Nuova Idea's Clowns may be their finest hour, but Ricky Belloni's ridiculous tenor vibrato yell almost ruins the whole thing.

The Maxophone album sits far more in vein with the refined and romantic style of PFM or QVL or Locanda delle Fate. Nothing Osanna about them, I think.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Ricky Belloni is 17X the vocalist...... ah, never mind

Love the Falsetto, and I enjoy him with the New Trolls as well

All 3 Nuova Idea LP's are very good IMO, with Mr E Jones and In the Beginning being the others in addition to Clowns, which is the rec starter

BG

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post
    Ricky Belloni is absolutely horrible!!!
    Yeah yeah, now settle down.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    The sole proper Corte dei Miracoli record (there were at least one archival release of demo recordings from their rehearsal space) is mostly very good, with some truly outstanding, breezy atmospheres and harmonies. I never really likened it much to Osanna, though.
    They certainly don’t sound like Osanna to me. Maybe Banco, what with the dual keyboard textures, though without the operatic flair that Francesco brought to the table. The CdM album (I still have not heard Dimensione Onirica) is one of my personal favourite Italian prog obscurities, and I just can’t get enough of it. Others have complained about the percussion. It seems the studio was a multi-track facility unlike anything the band had seen before and the drummer went a bit mad, filling up the spare tracks with as many temple block fills as possible (it seems the studio also had a complete chromatic set of them). I’ll say this: it definitely gives the album its own distinct feel.

And Nuova Idea's Clowns may be their finest hour, but Ricky Belloni's ridiculous tenor vibrato yell almost ruins the whole thing.
    Clowns is a nice Gentle Giant-ish album (complete with Three Friends cop right at the beginning), but Ricky Belloni’s hoarse-throated screeching is straight-up one of the worst vocal performances on a prog album, second only to Klaus Fresenius of Tyburn Tall and whoever that twit is who sings for Nessie.

The Maxophone album sits far more in vein with the refined and romantic style of PFM or QVL or Locanda delle Fate. Nothing Osanna about them, I think.
    Agreed. They have their intense moments, but then, so did most of the above. If you like French horn, you need to hear this one; they had a dedicated French horn player in the band, which was something of a rarity. I have the Italian version on CD and the English version on vinyl.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    QFT, a different approach (though I don't hold the Maxophone as anywhere near the level of PFM and QVL)
    I know this is a 'Palepoli soundalike' thread, so I suppose one would have to be gaga over Palepoli to like the stuff being mentioned here. For me, the mix of hard Rock screaming and Symph style writing has never worked. I have the albums by Jumbo, Cervello, Semiramis, Campo di Marte, Buon Vecchio Charlie, Procession and have yet to revisit them since I original attempt to appreciate them back in the 90s.

Perhaps this 'hard Rock yelling/Symph' thing just isn't for me
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I agree that Maxophone is brilliant, although not really anywhere near Osanna in terms of sound. I just picked up their recent Live album and it's quite good - despite both of the horns players not being present (one of the two remaining members switched from guitar to keyboards to help comp for the horns). They clearly seemed to be enjoying themselves and appreciative of the audience. There are also two unreleased songs - one from the early 70s and a new one that has a very Gentle Giant-esque four-part vocal at the end (with the drummer accompanying on violin):