Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bands that sound the same as other bands

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Ohme's spacey, ambient vocals are basically Hogarth north to my ears.

Again, I like Gazpacho, but it is what it is imo.
    While I do hear the similarities, there must some significant differences because I love Ohme's singing and Hogarth drives me up a wall. I tend to think of Gazpacho as sounding a quite a bit like Marillion but without the "whatever it is I hate about Hogarth". Maybe it's because he doesn't overemote like H does, and he shuts up long enough for the music to breathe.
    Buster

"tonal poems of an aesthetic value, not intended for dancing, sexual stimulation, or selling sneakers" - Stuart Mutner

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    When they started out they were doing a ton of covers - Little Richard, Carl Perkins, etc. That's not too hard to describe.
    They were indeed but when their albums were released, right back to the first album, each track would be described. You would be given a picture of how the album sounded. EG 'Misery' from the the first album 'it isnt as slow as it sounds. It moves along at a steady pace'

Not simply 'they sound like Little Richard' or 'they sound like Carl Perkins' which would no doubt hapen if they were around today.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Desdinova View Post
    Maybe it's because he doesn't overemote like H does, and he shuts up long enough for the music to breathe.
    There are sooo many bands I could say that about
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    Mogwai have been around since GYBE have and were even more influential to later post-rock bands than GYBE were.
    QFT. Altogether, Mogwai were arguably the single most influential (as in purpotedly cloned) "post-rock" group next to Slint, Tortoise and Bark Psychosis.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Toothyspook View Post
    They were indeed but when their albums were released, right back to the first album, each track would be described. You would be given a picture of how the album sounded. EG 'Misery' from the the first album 'it isnt as slow as it sounds. It moves along at a steady pace'

Not simply 'they sound like Little Richard' or 'they sound like Carl Perkins' which would no doubt hapen if they were around today.
    Yeah, just because the Beatles did covers of Carl Perkins or Chuck Berry tunes didn't mean they sounded like those American artists. They sounded different while covering their tunes. They were an English band influenced by the skiffle bands of the day and did their versions of those American songs. I can't believe anyone at the time would say "hey, this British group called the Beatles sounds just like Chuck Berry". In fact, that's perposterous. Those cover tunes were a bridge to the Beatles creating a completely unique and new sound that ended up revolutionizing pop music.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
    numerous Italian prog keyboard bands====>ELP
    Don't get this at all. Sure many of the Italians used a Hammond in the same way that Emo did, but compositionally, I just don't hear it.

I also really don't get the Genesis - PFM comparison. As others have said, there are more early KC influences than Genesis influences in PFM's work. But even those influences were a jumping off point, not a clone.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Starcastle does indeed win the clone band battle, followed closely by both The Watch/Citizen Cain combo imo.
    And ELP/Triumvirat, IMHO.
    Cargo of diamonds as you are: nothing more valuable, nothing more tough. - A. M. Beal

Quote Originally Posted by East New York View Post
    And ELP/Triumvirat, IMHO.
    Nope. Not clones. Obviously ELP was a huge influence, but I rate their overall output higher than ELPs. I would never mistake one band for the other.

Quote Originally Posted by sonic View Post
    Nope. Not clones. Obviously ELP was a huge influence, but I rate their overall output higher than ELPs. I would never mistake one band for the other.
    Feel free, lovey! I disagree, but that's just me.
    Cargo of diamonds as you are: nothing more valuable, nothing more tough. - A. M. Beal

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic View Post
    Look, I like Triumvirat but there is no way you can listen to "Spartacus" and not think "Man that sounds like ELP'. They even have a ballad that sure reminds me of "Lucky Man"

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Yeah, I don't get the Hawkwind - Ozrics comparison at all.
    No. They both sound spacey, but that's about it.

Agree also with Jeremy Bender that Marillion sounds more like Pink Floyd with Gabrielesque vocals than Genesis. I hear very little Genesis in Marillion's music. What is there is very superficial and Marillion copies none of the chordal nuances that really characterize Genesis. The Watch and Unifaun are closer, but there are still obvious differences.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    No. They both sound spacey, but that's about it.

Agree also with Jeremy Bender that Marillion sounds more like Pink Floyd with Gabrielesque vocals than Genesis. I hear very little Genesis in Marillion's music. What is there is very superficial and Marillion copies none of the chordal nuances that really characterize Genesis. The Watch and Unifaun are closer, but there are still obvious differences.
    Even in the Fish days I never heard that much Genesis in Marillion's music. What I did hear was a whole lot of Van der Graaf Generator in the lyrics and vocal style.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Mogwai have been around since GYBE have and were even more influential to later post-rock bands than GYBE were.
    QFT. Altogether, Mogwai were arguably the single most influential (as in purpotedly cloned) "post-rock" group next to Slint, Tortoise and Bark Psychosis.
    Mmpmhhh!!!... The first "unofficial" recordings of GYBE! dates from 94 (says RYM) while Mogwai's earliest date from 97 ... However it's quite clear that Mogwai became much more popular than GYBE8 was ever... Especially once GYBE8 vamished from the scene (from 04 onwards)

As for Tarentel, debut album dates from 99
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.