Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Minimalist Jazz Rock

Quote Originally Posted by unclemeat View Post
    Written in 1984-86...
    wow!!!
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

They are good!

GoGo Penguin - To Drown in You

Thanks to the person who recommended Portico Quartet in this thread. I just picked up Isla, and it is excellent!

neil

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    They are good!

GoGo Penguin - To Drown in You

Indeed, them and Mammal Hands are the two recent UK jazz bands that I'm really into

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Thanks to the person who recommended Portico Quartet in this thread. I just picked up Isla, and it is excellent!

neil

Hey Neil, their debut (OOP) is even better

^Really. Might have to dig, but thanks for the tip.

neil

Our small offering is minimalist, but jazz? Well maybe.
    Still alive and well...

Rick, we're still (impatiently) waiting for your second album

Neil Cowley Trio v good, of similar ilk. Reminds me of the Charlie Brown music and ELP too a bit.
    https://youtu.be/t9S--20Q9CQ

How do you embed vids btw? I can never get it to work!

Quote Originally Posted by revporl View Post
    How do you embed vids btw? I can never get it to work!
    In the space where you type a reply to a post, click on the little 'filmstrip' icon (it's second from the right...when you hover over it, it will read 'Insert Video'). Then just paste the URL for the video in the space provided.

And regarding The Necks: I received their new album, Vertigo, yesterday. It could be their most radical sounding album so far. Very different from previous albums. These guys really know how to redefine themselves for each album.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Hey Neil, their debut (OOP) is even better
    I'd disagree. I like Isla a bit more than Knee-Deep (though it's a close call and they're both damn fine).

Anyone been following them since? The self-titled one really seemed to lose the plot and with the name change, they seem to have become pretty much unrecognizable.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    I'd disagree. I like Isla a bit more than Knee-Deep (though it's a close call and they're both damn fine).

Anyone been following them since? The self-titled one really seemed to lose the plot and with the name change, they seem to have become pretty much unrecognizable.
    Ha, when I first started trying to investigate this band, it was quite confusing, due to the name change. I am not crazy about the newer stuff at all, so I'll stick with Isla, and Knee-Deep, if I can find it.

neil

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Ha, when I first started trying to investigate this band, it was quite confusing, due to the name change. I am not crazy about the newer stuff at all, so I'll stick with Isla, and Knee-Deep, if I can find it.
    The label seems to have everything in stock.

https://realworldrecords.com/artist/...rtico-quartet/

Actually, I see Knee-Deep is an expanded remix/reissue. Huh! Didn't know there even was one. (I also didn't know there were CD releases for EP1 and EP2. Those are also fairly good, representing their early & current sounds respectively, but much better suited for download prices.)

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    The label seems to have everything in stock.

https://realworldrecords.com/artist/...rtico-quartet/

Actually, I see Knee-Deep is an expanded remix/reissue. Huh! Didn't know there even was one. (I also didn't know there were CD releases for EP1 and EP2. Those are also fairly good, representing their early & current sounds respectively, but much better suited for download prices.)
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Rick, we're still (impatiently) waiting for your second album
    Haha... Me too. But there are already two. The third is pretty much scattered about on you tube.
    Still alive and well...

Minimalist dark jazz for three basses, two vibraphones, organ and string trio, anyone ?

Peter Kerlin Octet - Salamander (Innova Recordings, 2013)

http://www.innova.mu/albums/peter-ke...tet/salamander

A review :
    "Peter Kerlin is a bassist and composer and his music with an octet on Salamander is a mix of epic post-rock compositions and improvisation. The bass lines are riveting - like actual rivets holding together the songs - groove driven but not funky - just rock solid. The songs move like giant blocks of melody through an assembly line designed by MC Escher. It is the insistent bass lines that keep the pieces moving along. The track 'Cenozoan Warp' has an ethereal atmosphere generated by the marimba and percussion, until the bass comes in with a repetitive and uplifting melody. Violin and guitar add texture and muscle as the song builds layers upon layers. The track 'Wanna Let the Bell Tower Ring' starts out more intensely and then fractures into odd shapes and lovely passages. (...) I've been poking at this recording for a while now and each time I put it on, I'm reminded of how good the combination of instruments and how unusual the approach to the composition is, and think why isn't this on my play list more frequently? I have no good answer except that it's quite rich and so absorbing that I must enjoy just nibbling at it. " (Paul Acquaro : http://www.freejazzblog.org/2014/03/...lamanders.html)

Bulbs:

Cenozoan Warp (live):

Last edited by unclemeat; 09-19-2015 at 03:47 PM.

Wow, this thread has been around for so long and I only discovered it today, thanks to a recommendation from NogbadTheBad. Here are some of my discoveries that may stir some interest from people around.

Will start with Bill Laurance, piano and keyboard player with Snarky Puppy, but a brilliant musician with 4 solo albums released to date. The live recording he has done at Union Chapel in London is amazing.

Last edited by Zalmoxe; 09-07-2017 at 04:58 PM.

Initiative H from France. 2 albums, first one is better.

Morten Schantz Godspeed:

Yussef Kamaal - "Black Focus"

Finally, one from my home country, Atlantis Jazz Ensemble

Pretty sure some of these bands have been mentioned in other places, under a different context, but it may be worth listing them here, in case folks have not heard of them yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Zalmoxe View Post
    Finally, one from my home country, Atlantis Jazz Ensemble

Pretty sure some of these bands have been mentioned in other places, under a different context, but it may be worth listing them here, in case folks have not heard of them yet.
    I dig.Thanks for sharing this.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

I'll check out these recommendations, Zalmoxe. However, I'd have to say I was really disappointed by Yousef Kamaal - I bought album a few months ago, after reading a piece in the Guardian - to my ears, there was pretty much nothing that 4Hero weren't doing over 20 years ago - & it was pretty tame stuff even back then.

That said, one of my daughters pointed out to me that it was music made for hip kids in south London not old chin stroking farts in Exeter...

(Morten Schantz is working best for me on first impressions)