Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Minimalist Jazz Rock

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Listened to it yesterday morning, not knowing they were the opening act for Matthew Halsall last evening at Brussel's Flagey

Much better on record than live (IMHO)
    That's a shame to hear. I quite like the Svanborg Kardyb album and the whole Scandinavian folk jazz minimalist scene. And their videos seem mesmerizing. Why didn't you care for the show, Trane? Bad sound mix, wrong venue, poor performance? Or....?

Neil

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Just got a ticket to see Gogo Penguin in May woohoo
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Just got a ticket to see Gogo Penguin in May woohoo
    Dunno if they qualify as 'minimalist' but a great band. Saw them live last december. Awesome show.

Mammal Hands are said to release a new album at the ned of March - very exciting news.

This French band may also please some of the fine folks coming back to this thread to get updating information on cool releases:

SHAMA by ISHKERO

Last edited by Zalmoxe; 02-10-2023 at 08:18 PM.

Not sure if these guys have been mentioned before but they are a recent discovery after I think what was a Tomeka Reid recommendation via bandcamp (could be wrong). I think I like the second one, 'descension (Out Of Our Constrictions)', more, though it is 'noisier', features a live performance from Club Oto in 2019 with English sax player Evan Parker improvising.

Natural Information Society

Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Banned

Gogo Penguin - Everything Is Going To Be OK

Released today but now on Sony so no bandcamp link. Will probably download it from Amazon
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Gogo Penguin - Everything Is Going To Be OK

Released today but now on Sony so no bandcamp link. Will probably download it from Amazon
    A new Gogo Penguin. Hurray!

Saw Graham Costello's Strata at Dareshack in Bristol last night. An absolutely stunning gig!

The performance was 360 degrees/in the round. The room was approximately 30metres by 15 metres; & the band played, facing one another, on a dais of around 10 metres by 5 metres, raised by around half a metre. Speakers were suspended from the ceiling above the band, facing outwards, Sound quality was outstanding. The band encouraged members of the (standing) audience to move around, to see the band from multiple points of view, & hear them similarly. Around 75-100 in the audience - at no point more than 2 or 3 metres from the stage. It felt as if we were somehow on stage alongside the band.

Band played a continuous set of arund 75 minutes. Music was spellbinding, & the intensity of the audience was a revelation - doubtless a feature of the configuration of the gig. I believe that the new album will essentially feeature more or less all of the music which was played last night.

A genuine pleasure to be able to speak at length with Graham & Harry after the gig, & also to meet with Fergus.

^^^ That sounds an amazing gig and a good idea to break down the barrier that (often) exists at concerts these days. I am off to see Binker Golding tomorrow in a small venue (and with barrier firmly in place). Looking forward to it.
    We walked arm in arm with madness, and every little breeze whispered of the secret love we had for our disease

Quote Originally Posted by Munster View Post
    ^^^ That sounds an amazing gig and a good idea to break down the barrier that (often) exists at concerts these days. I am off to see Binker Golding tomorrow in a small venue (and with barrier firmly in place). Looking forward to it.
    Ooh, that sounds good, Munster - I love his work with Moses Boyd. Hope it's a good 'un.

I'm up in London next week for Kokoroko - hoping to be throwing some shapes with Sunlight Caller!

Jealous
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    Saw Graham Costello's Strata at Dareshack in Bristol last night. An absolutely stunning gig!

The performance was 360 degrees/in the round. The room was approximately 30metres by 15 metres; & the band played, facing one another, on a dais of around 10 metres by 5 metres, raised by around half a metre. Speakers were suspended from the ceiling above the band, facing outwards, Sound quality was outstanding. The band encouraged members of the (standing) audience to move around, to see the band from multiple points of view, & hear them similarly. Around 75-100 in the audience - at no point more than 2 or 3 metres from the stage. It felt as if we were somehow on stage alongside the band.

Band played a continuous set of arund 75 minutes. Music was spellbinding, & the intensity of the audience was a revelation - doubtless a feature of the configuration of the gig. I believe that the new album will essentially feeature more or less all of the music which was played last night.

A genuine pleasure to be able to speak at length with Graham & Harry after the gig, & also to meet with Fergus.
    Jealous

His two Strata albums were in my top 15 respectively
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Just back from seeing Costello's Strata once again, this time in Edinburgh, where they kicked off this year's Jazz Festival.

Musically, & acoustically, the gig was a whole step up from the Bristol show - capped off by a new "song" which finished the set, & which I found out had been played for the first time tonight. The complexity of the piece was unreal, but the evident joy of the band members as they nailed it was palpable. An ecstatic conclusion to a brilliant concert.

That sounds fantastic
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    Just back from seeing Costello's Strata once again, this time in Edinburgh, where they kicked off this year's Jazz Festival.

Musically, & acoustically, the gig was a whole step up from the Bristol show - capped off by a new "song" which finished the set, & which I found out had been played for the first time tonight. The complexity of the piece was unreal, but the evident joy of the band members as they nailed it was palpable. An ecstatic conclusion to a brilliant concert.
    hopefully, they'll hit the continent, one of these days.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Shibui - Quint

From Boston and featuring Nik Bartsch as executive producer

Recommended by Boilk, thanks Neil!

Ian

Released today Akku Quintet - Kinema

Ian

The eons are closing
    Alrighty - first time in the thread so I head back up to check out the most recent mentions in the thread...

Totally fucking love the STRATA I am listening to on YT from Live 2021 concert
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Slowly Rollin Camera with a new album released:

One album that may please some of the fine folks venturing over to this corner of the internet:

And here is another one from Belgium that caught my attention:

Quote Originally Posted by Zalmoxe View Post
    And here is another one from Belgium that caught my attention:

Listening now, and really digging it, so far. Some great genre blending going on.

Neil

Ok - so I'm going to beg for a little leeway here...

One of the best albums released last year was carry them with us by the Scottish smallpipes phenomenon, Brìghde Chaimbeul, in collaboration with reedsman Colin Stetson. Strictly speaking, this isn't jazz at all (although Stetson is something of a jazzer). But in other ways, it does fit the minimalist bill (& I couldn't really think of another place to post this )

I had the pleasure of seeing Brìghde Chaimbeul play in her trio with the great Ross Ainslie on pipes & Steven Byrnes on guitar at the Sidmouth Folk Festival - the trio that released the magnificent Las album in 2022 - & she is utterly mesmeric to watch, & to listen to.

Her technique on the smallpipes (she is the only person playing them in the world at this point) "emphasises rich textural drones and a trance-like constancy of sound" - hence my hunch towards posting hereabouts...