Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: KANSAS- Back in the studio after 14 years!

IMHO the reason Kansas doesn't raise as much ire as Yes is in this interview: http://www.innerviews.org/inner/kansas.html

How the band handles itself is as important as anything, maybe more. Yes didn't just part ways with Anderson...it was very public and very NOT okay with all parties involved. Yes has had a very bad habit of letting their drama play out in front of their fans, and that sticks with fans. Now you have fans who act as if Yes personally shat in their breakfast cereal.

Walsh didn't get forced out, and he hasn't gone on bitter campaigns to sway public opinion. Kansas hasn't thrown him under the bus, or tried to pin all their past shortcomings on him. They were mature and respectful, and these changes thus played out in a very non-dramatic way. Props to them for that

Edit: specifically, from the interview...

Tell me about the circumstances under which Walsh departed from Kansas in August 2014.

It was time for Steve to retire from Kansas. He has two younger children and I think he got to a point where he didnít want to do it anymore. There were zero hard feelings. He sent me an email and said ďPhil, I want this email to be notice of my retirement. We have dates going through Europe, and a few shows after that. Iíd like those dates to be my last shows.Ē It was just time for it to happen. And it will be time for all of us at some point, whether itís me, Rich, Ragsdale or Billy. Nothing lasts forever. Steve put in more than 40 years of his life into singing for Kansas. Again, a lot of people have come up to me and said they werenít going to do this anymore. I get it.

Itís something we knew was coming and itís tough because we love what we do. The question was always is it going to be this year or next year? I know Iím not going to play drums for Kansas forever. I know thatís coming too and itís inevitable. Itís a decision thatís no different from retiring from any other job. It was a great separation as far as being friendly, giving each other bro hugs, handshakes and high-fives. We wrapped up everything business-wise and that was it.
    Ephemeral Sun - because I gotta do something about these boxes of CDs in the basement: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bigpicturekeys View Post
    He did sing in a tribute band back in the late 80's and early 90's. A Yes tribute called Drama. We used to co headline with them frequently.
    And prior to that, another Yes tribute called Chaser.

Playing some of the old Kansas stuff right now because this thread got me in the mood.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I was one of the people who expressed some skepticism about the new lineup in last summer's "Steve is leaving" thread. But I think one of the best ways a new lineup can establish cred is a new album of good material. Given the rave live reviews the new lineup is getting, I am very much looking forward to a new album and hopefully an opportunity to see the new material played live.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Was going to say, Rags is a good writer. As for the others, we just have to see. It would be cool if Livgren got involved though.
    Well, Greer's written for Seventh Key, too, and although that isn't prime Kansas-style material, with a little tweaking, it could probably hold up. I have a feeling there'll be a fair amount of co-writing involved.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

The Native Window project relied heavily on outside writers. The songs were good though. If the new album reaches that level of consistency even with outside help, I'll be happy enough.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I'm hoping for the best but expecting a hospital zone effort. I didn't care for Yes' last release because they play like a Windham Hill version of their former selves. The only thing missing was babbling brook and woodland creature sound effects. Native Window had a few decent tunes but was too Pure Prairie League or Quicksilver Messenger Service or something. I do require some rock in my prog.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I'm hoping for the best but expecting a hospital zone effort. I didn't care for Yes' last release because they play like a Windham Hill version of their former selves. The only thing missing was babbling brook and woodland creature sound effects. Native Window had a few decent tunes but was too Pure Prairie League or Quicksilver Messenger Service or something. I do require some rock in my prog.
    I think that they would do something different when working under the "Kansas" name. But who knows?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

there were outside writers for 1988's In The Spirit Of Things. and although not everyone's favorite, all the songs blended well together and it still had that Kansas sound. i actually liked it better then some other cd's.

I didn't care for Yes' last release because they play like a Windham Hill version of their former selves. The only thing missing was babbling brook and woodland creature sound effects.
    Yeah, that would be Close to the Edge.

Thing is, Kansas isn't like that. When they play live the tempos are on the money or even a little fast. They may be old, but they aren't tired. I just saw them last week. Props go to Phil's stamina.

Cool, hope it's worth while. I'd love to hear some new Kansas. I thought Somewhere to Elsewhere was rather good.

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    there were outside writers for 1988's In The Spirit Of Things. and although not everyone's favorite, all the songs blended well together and it still had that Kansas sound. i actually liked it better then some other cd's.
    Fair point. Great record. Should've mentioned it when I talked about outside writers above.

Seems to me that Kansas have yet to record an album I haven't enjoyed (yes, I include the much maligned Drastic Measures in that statement - it's actually rather fab. Give it another go!), so I expect it'll be well worth a listen. Will it sound like classic mid-seventies Kansas? Who knows but I reckon it'll be fifteen quid well spent.

Quote Originally Posted by the ferret View Post
    Fair point. Great record. Should've mentioned it when I talked about outside writers above.

Seems to me that Kansas have yet to record an album I haven't enjoyed (yes, I include the much maligned Drastic Measures in that statement - it's actually rather fab. Give it another go!), so I expect it'll be well worth a listen. Will it sound like classic mid-seventies Kansas? Who knows but I reckon it'll be fifteen quid well spent.
    I am with you there. I all of them to an extent. "Drastic Measures" is far from a great Kansas album, but it does have some good tracks.

I always liked Drastic Measures more than Vinyl Confessions.

The thing is, with In the Spirit of Things they were trying to write a concept album with Bob Ezrin producing, while the record company wanted a hit and kept suggesting outside material, which is how those songs ended up on the album - against the will of the band.
    Whereas with Native Window the point was that the guys wanted to make an album (as Steve Walsh refused to do a new Kansas album), so to then have outside writers kind of suggests that they simply couldn't come up with material without outside help (not to mention re-recording a Seventh Key track). I doubt at that point anyone was pressuring them to bring in outside writers.
    And yeah, that album doesn't rock.