Thread: SMPTe-The Roine Stolt mix !

SMPTe-The Roine Stolt mix !

This is no longer available on Radiant's website. Probably now only available as an expensive collectors item through the usual outlets.?
    Those who bought it , how did it compare or improve on the original mix ?
    I loved Roine's lead vocal on 'We all need some Light ' from the last tour. He also sings lead vocal on the remix version I understand!

I think it's a much better mix. The original is rather Neal-heavy IMO. This one is more balanced, especially noticeable in "All Of The Above".
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I very much prefer it to the original mix. I rarely even listen to the original mix at this point. I can't cite any specific examples, but it just sounds clearer, and there are quite a few moments that are more prominent in Stolt's mix that just don't seem to appear in the original, if that makes any sense.

And I say this as a huge fan of Rich Mouser, too.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    This one is more balanced
    Exactly what I was trying to say - thanks!

Just couldn't get the words to the fingers.

One would think that Stolt's mix would just be more guitar-heavy, but balance is what he brings.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

This is the only one I own. Strangely, I never bought the original version, so I can't compare. Just listened to the Roine mix last week for the first time in ages and it sounded great. Never thought All of the Above stood up as well as the comparable songs by the "parent" bands at the time (The Great Nothing, I Am The Sun, etc), but I am rethinking that position after all these years.

It has more Roine-style "fairy dust". Just more seasoning/flavoring, especially in the guitar department.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

How can I get a copy of this without paying a silly amount of money for it? Any tips welcome, as I'm a huge Transatlantic fan and would love to hear it...
    Kick myself that I didn't buy it at the time.

Have done a search on ebay , amazon & play.com and no joy! Last time I saw a copy was for about £50, I think on amazon ?
    According to reviews on Amazon the guitars are higher in the mix & some alt. guitar takes. My New World being a different version or take from the original release ?

multicellular organism roddenberry's Avatar
    Definitely guitar-centric. Also bought this one before the original release. I do prefer it. So now it's a "rare" discontinued item? Mhhhh! (as Bob types www.ebay.ca...)

Robert

The link just directs me to the generic ebay site & when i search Stolts mix there are no hits ! Whats the bidding price ?

^^^ I think he's (jokingly) saying that he's going to put his copy on Ebay now that he knows it's a rarity.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

OK...just a bit off topic. There's a blu - ray edition 4 sale of The Whirld Tour on ebay . To my knowledge it wasnt released in that format ?

I have both versions. I can't really tell the difference. Guess I'm not much of an audiophile.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Roine's is definitely more guitar-centric, which is better in spots, but there are certain keyboard flourishes from the original that I miss, so its a toss-up for me. I tend to alternate twixt the two.
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

I mostly listen to Roine's mix because the extra guitar stuff in the epics is really noticeable, and tastefully well done. I wish I could do a mix of BOTH versions and include EVERYTHING, but that might be a bit much.

-Marc.

The drums in Roine's mix are typical of his FK mixes of the time - "squishy." The Mouser mix drums are much more crisp and spread across the sound stage.

I remember Roine mentioning trying to bring Pete Trewavas' bass playing more to the fore with this mix...and I think that probably means that Portnoy was toned down a bit.

I only have this version, so I can't compare the two.

Profondo Giallo Crystal Plumage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dregsfan View Post
    The drums in Roine's mix are typical of his FK mixes of the time - "squishy." The Mouser mix drums are much more crisp and spread across the sound stage.
    And for that reason I like the Stolt mix better.
    I think it's the European point of view vs. the American point of view regarding what's important in a mix.
    I DO like mouser's mix on Whirlwind btw.
    HuGo
    "Very, very nice," said a man in the crowd,
    When the golden voice appeared.
    She was gold alright, but then so is rust.
    "Such a shame about the beard."

Hmm. I'm not so sure about the Euro/American POV. I don't have Banks of Eden, but on the previous release (Sum of No Evil?), the drums are very crisp and spread across the soundstage like in Mouser mixes (they're just not as loud).

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I remember Roine mentioning trying to bring Pete Trewavas' bass playing more to the fore with this mix...and I think that probably means that Portnoy was toned down a bit.
    I normally love Portnoy's playing, but there's no doubt that he's usually way too up front in the mix. I didn't notice that Stolt mixed his drums differently, but if he's further back in the mix, that probably plays into why I like his mix better.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I normally love Portnoy's playing, but there's no doubt that he's usually way too up front in the mix. I didn't notice that Stolt mixed his drums differently, but if he's further back in the mix, that probably plays into why I like his mix better.
    All Of The Above (esp. the coda right before ambient outro) has Portnoy drums all over it (i.e. in your face he is a hard-hitter) and Roine mix makes it sound much more balanced. Plus he filled the actual outro with some studio chat and it's quite entertaining.

There is more balance tweaking here and there, esp 'In Held (Twas) In I' "big finale" sounds much more "flowery", with Roine guitar lower in the mix actually. And he removed that (annoying IMHO) "Isn't it?" bit at the very end of the song, allowing the bassdrum kick to finish this glorious cover version of Procol Harum classic.

But do compare and decide for yourself - any TA fan (like me ) would want to keep both versions!
    "The world will soon be right again,
    Innocence and undying love will reign."
    - Transatlantic