Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Version Of Tales From Topo Gigio's Tail

My Version Of Tales From Topo Gigio's Tail

With all my love, I dedicate this edit to Mr. Chris Squire - who changed my view forever on what a bass guitar could and should do.

THIS is how I envision Tales From Topographic Oceans:

Side 1 - the same
    Side 2 - The Ancient (exactly as it is)
    Side 3 - https://www.dropbox.com/s/jyqoqt4x2z...o%202.mp3?dl=0

... and there's your album, folks!
    Last edited by arabicadabra; 06-26-2015 at 10:53 PM.

I'm not sure the record company would find your notion of a 3 sided album a winner

Johnny Winter did one - and for all practical purposes, so did George Harrison (All Things Must Pass had 3 sides of great music and a completely wasted "jam" side)

Todd did it as well... the 3rd side was an ep iirc. That's doesn't mean it's a great idea from a label POV though Anyway, I'm firmly in the "Don't fuck with TFTO" camp

Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra View Post
    so did George Harrison (All Things Must Pass had 3 sides of great music and a completely wasted "jam" side)
    You're misremembering that one--it was a solid, four-sided double LP plus a whole third LP of tedious jamming.

And speaking of solid, four-sided double LPs, every second and every note of TfTO is gold.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Todd did it as well... the 3rd side was an ep iirc. That's doesn't mean it's a great idea from a label POV though Anyway, I'm firmly in the "Don't fuck with TFTO" camp
    I feel that way much of the time, too - just always wanted to try it, though - like The Beatles LOVE soundtrack.....

D'OH! You're RIGHT! Yeeesh, misremembering is a KIND word for that screwup; thanks for setting the record straight. And I hear ya about Tales; does that mean you won't listen out of curiosity?

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    You're misremembering that one--it was a solid, four-sided double LP plus a whole third LP of tedious jamming.

And speaking of solid, four-sided double LPs, every second and every note of TfTO is gold.

It's written like a 4 movement symphony---following the templet of a 4 movement----side one--beautiful setting up the themes--side two --more mellow and repeating some of the themes---side 3--challenging and adventurous and side 4 bringing the whole thing home

I agree - and I'm a huge fan of the record - but I've always wondered "what if?" and, being home recuperating from major kidney surgery, I figured this was as good a time as any.

Well I have to see what you did

At 199 views, I just wonder if 25 % of those have actually played the Ritual/Remembering hybrid.....

... I was gonna call it something like So High, I Can't Remember The Ritual but thought a Topo Gigio reference would be less inflammatory.....

I've always loved Tales as it is, but I'm downloading now and looking forward to a different take on it, I'll be back...

p.s. I hope the recovery is going well

Aw, thanks! Pretty good, just not fast enough for me
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    I've always loved Tales as it is, but I'm downloading now and looking forward to a different take on it, I'll be back...

p.s. I hope the recovery is going well

Listening....Just heard the first segue. Very nice! Seriously, this could've kept Rick in the band! Then Relayer wouldn't have been so over the top. Oh wait.....
    This is a great mix though! Thanks! Everyone who misses it will just miss out on how much better it can be.

That's VERY kind of you, Jubal; I'm just glad you're enjoying it. Thanks so much for listening and for your comments.

I enjoyed our mix, very well constructed, but I'm not sure it can ever replace the full two sides for me. I really enjoy the slow meandering pace of The Remembering and Ritual to me is even better when stretched out a la Yesshows. I'll play it again a few times, and see if it nestles into my memory banks.

Sunlight Caller (Hey! I'm talking to the sunlight caller!), can't thank you enough for listening and giving me your honest feedback. Makes the fun I had attempting this keep on giving. FWIW, I'M not sure it works myself, just always wanted to try and hear those parts going back and forth, both due to the excitement the band generates and the similar feels.

I know I thanked him elsewhere (like in an email when I sent the link to another bandmate) but without in-person tutoring on the Reaper program from Radiohost (Pinnacle bassist and close friend Bill Fox) this edit would not have existed. Thanks again Bill!

Radio Edits

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    ...I'm not sure it [Greg's remix] can ever replace the full two sides for me. I really enjoy the slow meandering pace of The Remembering and Ritual...
    That's the sort of thing I used to say whenever I heard singles remixed for radio (radio edits) in the '60s and '70s... if I knew about the full length album cuts.

Thanks / You're Welcome

I know I thanked him elsewhere (like in an email when I sent the link to another bandmate) but without in-person tutoring on the Reaper program from Radiohost (Pinnacle bassist and close friend Bill Fox) this edit would not have existed. Thanks again Bill!
    It was a fun "what if" project and I enjoyed sharing my knowledge. Of course, my real goal was to arm you with the tools to explore and express your musical ideas as related to Pinnacle. The fact that it spills over into non-Pinnace pursuits is icing on the cake.

Sunlight Caller (Hey! I'm talking to the sunlight caller!), can't thank you enough for listening and giving me your honest feedback. Makes the fun I had attempting this keep on giving. FWIW, I'M not sure it works myself, just always wanted to try and hear those parts going back and forth, both due to the excitement the band generates and the similar feels.
    You are welcome, I have played your mix again (it's on my iPhone now) and rather enjoyed the different slant, so it's a very interesting alternative. Glad you spotted the Revealing Science reference in my screen name, I have had this since the very early PE days, and always thought it was a good one for a progressive chat board... Of course back in the day we started as a Yes chat board, hence the alignment to one artist. It's kind of stuck with me now after oh so many years.

I'm beyond honored that it's on your phone! Thanks for listening again! (and I had no idea this place began as a Yes chat board)

It was a spin off from the very very old Yahoo Yes Group, and was set up by Sean and others as a Yahoo Prog group, where we could discuss a few other bands...there used to be an online archive of those early posts for us nostalgic types!

[QUOTE=Radiohost;420346]It was a fun "what if" project and I enjoyed sharing my knowledge. Of course, my real goal was to arm you with the tools to explore and express your musical ideas as related to Pinnacle.

I've already started that "other" project I swas telling you about

Very cool. Love what you've done there!

I am one, however, that believes Tales is absolutely perfect as is from start to finish. I'll go one further: I think it is the best piece of music I've ever heard.
    The Prog Corner