Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED CD - Teru's Symphonia : Do Androids Dream Of Electric Camel

FEATURED CD - Teru's Symphonia : Do Androids Dream Of Electric Camel

Per prog_fan on Amazon
    Terutsugu has fronted a nice blend of orchestral and rock music with "Do Androids Dream Of Electric Camel?" All of the songs are well written and find a balance between keyboards and guitar. The real star of the album, in my opinion, is the amazing vocals of singer Megumi Tokuhisa. Wow! This girl has an incredible voice. She has quite a range of both pitch and expression. I can only liken her to Kate Bush in her ability to sing in a variety of styles, but she can also belt out a metal tune with more power than Kate could ever muster. I'll buy the other Teru's Symphonia CDs just to hear more of this talented woman. If you realize that the Japanese language doesn't lend itself well to western-style music you can REALLY appreciate her skill. Teretsugu is to be commended for writing songs that showcase both of their talents. Overall, the CD is very accessable. In parts it is straight-ahead rock, but there are enough time changes and orchestral flourishes to satisfy the adventurous. For you Kate Bush fans, I'll put "From Softly Night - Till Blessing Morning" (Track 5) right there with my favorite Kate (The Dreaming). It is both spooky and playful. WOW!
    http://www.amazon.com/Do-Androids-Dr...Electric+Camel

Regards,

Duncan

Clockworked Earth is the only one of their albums I have. It’s OK, but as far as this type of Japanese prog goes, I have to say that Pageant, Mr. Sirius, Providence, Interpose+ and Wappa Gappa all did it way better.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I had to check my collection and yes, I've got this one. Haven't listened to it for 15 years I guess. So I might say I'm with ^^ Progbear, although I could add bands like Kenso, Lu7 etc.

This ones O.K. but "Egg the Universe" was the best one they did IMHO . The last one?, "The Gate" was pretty good too (anyone got a copy of that they're will to let go?). What's Terutsugu Hirayama doing these days?

"Angels die, redemption rages
    The age of man on an empty page
    And chances are
    This will save your soul or break it forever "

doing a little digging on my own I've discovered that the band is now going by the name "Nelfelti" and is recording..
    Tokuhisa Emiko the singer (formerly Tokuhisa Megumi married?) and keyboardist Shoichi Aoki are from the origianl band but I can't tell if Teru himself is with them (I don't speak or read Japanese and the translate functions are terrible). I guess we'll need someone who can manage the language barrier before we'll know anything else.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/NELFE...88?sk=timeline

And chances are

I guess he is. On (the re-issue of) Noi No Shiro, Teru's solo-album, there's a track called "Nelfelti".

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Clockworked Earth is the only one of their albums I have. It’s OK, but as far as this type of Japanese prog goes, I have to say that Pageant, Mr. Sirius, Providence, Interpose+ and Wappa Gappa all did it way better.
    This facebook-post suggests Nelfelti and Interpose+ played on the same festival: https://www.facebook.com/interpose.j...22712051177738

I'm only wondering if he's on board as a player as his name (when reading in english using the translate) is not mentioned in concert lineups... but I did see the word mentor in the same sentence as his name (once)... so I wonder if he's no longer playing with the band but intead managing or perhaps only running the band in studio... without a proper translater its not possible to tell...

And chances are

ok... how involved he is is the question..
    from the band page there are new tracks you can listen to (and yes, it sure sounds like Teru's Symphonia) but the guitarist is listed as Hidechin... so he's not recording with the band (hence the name change) but check it out if your a fan.. its pretty good.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/NELFE...p_178091127385

Shoichi Aoki is really under-rated... excellent keyboardist
    Last edited by Kanukisbrave; 06-11-2015 at 10:33 AM.

And chances are

I still hold this as one of their more successful albums. Their sound had lost some of the excessive plastic sheen of their 80s work, and they developed a bit the quirkier and more elaborate side of their sound first explored on Fable on the Seven Pillows but largely ignored on Clockworked Earth. "Maria" and "Destination" are nice examples of their usual "over the top neo-progressive" sound, but the best bits come towards the end, as is usual on TS albums, with Tokuhisa's off-beat "From Softly Night ~Till Blessing Morning" and one of their more elaborate symphonic pieces "Anniversario". Even if the latter is a Symphoniased reworking of a track from the "Japanese proggers' all-star lineup pretending to be an Italian prog band" project Pazzo Fanfano di Musica, where it was presented in a slightly more traditional guise.

Very interesting to see that at least some version of the band is still active. I know that Hirayama was involved in the Scheherezade reunion a few years back (the results didn't impress me too much), but I have no idea what he is doing now. It would still be great to hear Tokuhisa singing. Her vocals were central to TS and on Magdalena's only album, like Hiroko Nagai/Lisa Ohki's were on Pageant and Mr. Sirius.

Suspended
    "This video is not available"

However I located it on Spotify - listening now.

Hmmm - I'm sure they listened to Fear of a Blank Planet.

This sounds quite reasonable, though I'm not sure I like the vocals. Perhaps it's an acquired taste.

Suspended
    "Anniversario" is rather good - probably the most appealing track to my ears. Very Kate Bush-ian.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Hmmm - I'm sure they listened to Fear of a Blank Planet.
    Are you refering to the FCD or to the new project? The FCD is from 1997, so that would undermine your statement.

I'm just listening to "Do Androids Dream..." after a long time and it's fun: a mix of rocking stuff, Kate Bush-like fragments, symphonic movements and "pomp-prog" (with a lot of horn-like keys).

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    I had to check my collection and yes, I've got this one. Haven't listened to it for 15 years I guess. So I might say I'm with ^^ Progbear, although I could add bands like Kenso, Lu7 etc.
    I wouldn’t call Kenso “similar,” as I was basically just going by the subset of female-voiced sympho from Japan. There’s also worse out there, like Fairy and Mizukagami.

I only found out about Lu7 fairly recently (like, in the past year), and what I heard did not appeal to me.

Suspended
    Are you refering to the FCD or to the new project? The FCD is from 1997, so that would undermine your statement.
    You're right, of course. I saw "2010" on Spotify, but no doubt that refers to some reissue date.
    Perhaps it's the other way round - maybe SW took inspiration from them.

The only thing by Teru's Symphonia that I've got is Clockworked Earth, which I enjoyed pretty well. It's over the top, larger-than-life sounding, and it works. I've been meaning to check out their other stuff.

Noi No Shiro (or "Castle of Noi" as I've seen it translated) is a fine progressive rock album. I snagged one of the reissue CDs about three years ago. Something about it reminds me of my childhood. It often feels like a movie is playing in my mind when I listen to it, even though I don't understand the Japanese lyrics.

Would be very interested to know what Terutsugu Hirayama is up to nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I wouldn’t call Kenso “similar,” as I was basically just going by the subset of female-voiced sympho from Japan. There’s also worse out there, like Fairy and Mizukagami.

I only found out about Lu7 fairly recently (like, in the past year), and what I heard did not appeal to me.
    Thanks for the note. Hadn't noticed the "similar" ("this type" actually) word. Should have mentioned Vermilion Sands
    Last edited by interbellum; 06-12-2015 at 09:43 AM.

Thanks for the note. Hadn't noticed the "similar" ("this type" actually) word. Should have mentioned Vermilion Sands
    How did I forget Vermilion Sands? They definitely have a folkier bent than most, but I’m quite fond of Water Blue. Supposedly the two (correction: one album and one EP) Theta albums (also featuring the sadly late Youko Rouyama on vocals) are similar, but I haven’t heard them.

Not a fan. I hate this 80s style of sound and find it unbearable to listen to...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I like how they use "Camel" as the plural of camel.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I like how they use "Camel" as the plural of camel.
    Well, they probably think we're weird for using "sheep" as the plural for sheep.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Noi No Shiro (or "Castle of Noi" as I've seen it translated) is a fine progressive rock album.
    'Castle Of Noi' is my favorite Teru's album. I also have 'Egg The Universe' and 'Human Race Party,' and they're solid, but I thought the quality arc was trending downward, so I didn't pick up any of the later releases as they came out.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I'm NOT an android, and I dream of electric camel, so...

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Not a fan. I hate this 80s style of sound and find it unbearable to listen to...
    I have to concur with this, and unfortunately - although I remain a huge admirer of most Japanese progressive rock music as such - I find their "sympho" scene the least appealing and exciting of the whole package. There were some interesting objects (Mr. Sirius, Bi Kyo Ran, Ie Rai Shan, some Gerard, some Mugen, some Providence etc.), but altogether this direction speaks to the least creative impulse in that country's musicmaking scene. Considering the practically hundreds of fascinating Jap titles that would follow in the 90s up until this very day, I really can't take many minutes of Teru's Symphonia. Nippon kitsch hell, I'm afraid.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I have to concur with this, and unfortunately - although I remain a huge admirer of most Japanese progressive rock music as such - I find their "sympho" scene the least appealing and exciting of the whole package. There were some interesting objects (Mr. Sirius, Bi Kyo Ran, Ie Rai Shan, some Gerard, some Mugen, some Providence etc.), but altogether this direction speaks to the least creative impulse in that country's musicmaking scene. Considering the practically hundreds of fascinating Jap titles that would follow in the 90s up until this very day, I really can't take many minutes of Teru's Symphonia. Nippon kitsch hell, I'm afraid.
    It's marred by the technology of the time, and it's not original, for the most part, but I view it as an homage. Somehow, in the 80s, Japanese musicians discovered the Italian Prog scene of the 70s, (and British as well,) and did their level best to honor it. When taken in that context, there's a lot to enjoy, for me at least. You seem to favor the angular stuff, so while there is some Japanese 80s Prog that should be in your wheelhouse, Teru's Symphonia is definitely not one of them.