Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pete Townsend is not a happy man !

Pete Townsend is not a happy man !

Who guitarist lashes out after orchestral version of Quadrophenia is banned from listing
    The Who guitarist Pete Townshend has lashed out after hearing that his orchestral remake of Quadrophenia has been banned from appearing in the classical album charts.

He says he can live with being thought of as a “rock dinosaur” – but he’s furious on behalf of the “young, creative and brilliant” artists who’ll miss out on attention after the record was ruled ineligible.

Classic Quadrophenia, based on the Who’s 1973 release, features orchestrations by Rachel Fuller and vocals by Alfie Boe. It was launched this week.

Townshend says via Facebook: “Classic Quadrophenia is not allowed in the UK classical charts? Musical snobbery in the classical elite still alive and kicking then. Fuck ’em.”

He adds: “There's a huge team behind this, rooted in the practical world of recorded classical music, who deserve better than this petty slap-down. I know I'm a rock dinosaur and I'm happy to be one, but the team behind Classic Quadrophenia are all young, creative and brilliant."

To each his own...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Pete, if you read PE you would have known we disapproved of this project from the beginning.

Come on, Pete. It may be Classic Quadrophenia (gak!) but just because there's an orchestra involved doesn't make it classical music.

"And the nominees for best classical album are: Ayreon, Rob Reed, The Who, Yes, and Neal Morse!"

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    just because there's an orchestra involved doesn't make it classical music.
    I remember trying to explain to someone that the Star Wars soundtrack was not classical music.

So is any orchestral music written after 1940-blah or thereabouts classical?

Agreed with everyone here that it's not classical music, but that term is even more ambiguous than "progressive rock."

Most everybody who listens to it knows that the actual classical era only existed from the middle of the 1700s to the early 1800s, but the term has stuck with everything subsequent that is considered "western art music," scored, and is played with particular instruments.

There are some prog songs that I think could be reworked (not merely re-arranged) as classical pieces (probably chamber ensembles would do it best) but I've never heard it done - the whole "...with the London Symphony Orchestra" stuff that happened in the '90s for several bands were just mushy orchestral pops arrangements, IMO. Some of the great composers made large-scale works out of folk songs and some even used bird calls as source material, so I would think that something more could be done with certain progressive rock songs.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Are you trying to turn this into a "What is Classical?" thread?

Calculated PR outrage designed to promote the album.

Sorry, Pete, but just because the music is being played by an orchestra, that doesn't make it "classical" music.

That's what you getting from letting a lame television franchise hijack your most famous songs.

Sir Paul's Liverpool Oratorio is treated as a "serious" commissioned piece of classical music, was released on a classical label and, I assume, placed in the classical charts. From the bits I've heard, it is undeserving as well of such consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Come on, Pete. It may be Classic Quadrophenia (gak!) but just because there's an orchestra involved doesn't make it classical music.
    Weeeeeellllll...how different is it really from a re-recording of the West Side Story score with opera singers becoming the biggest classical chart hit of 1985? Both started out as pop music, neither score is entirely the work of the nominal composer, but Bernstein has classical cred and Townshend doesn't.

Pete's upset that his Muzak version of a 42-year old album isn't allowed to sweep the classical charts by selling 10,000 copies when classical typically sells half of that?

I think the relevant quote has already been provided: "Well fuck 'em!"

If Pete wants to get steamed about something here's a good cause for him

http://diymag.com/2015/06/10/apple-m...trial-accounts
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    If Pete wants to get steamed about something here's a good cause for him

http://diymag.com/2015/06/10/apple-m...trial-accounts
    Jobs was brilliant...but this idea, and its one i use to get my music now-a-days too, guilty...but iTunes threw back the gates of hell...

There was a rock symphonic album in the classical charts recently but just can't think which one?

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    There was a rock symphonic album in the classical charts recently but just can't think which one?
    Browsing through the recent Billboard classical charts I see something by 311 "with the Unity Orchestra." So yeah, it seems to me that the bar for being considered "classical" for chart purposes is set awfully low.

Will the "Atom Heart Mother" suite be viewed, & accepted, as classical music?

If so, maybe Roger can trot out this gem for a worldwide tour. Instead of a wall, he can have pastures. Instead of political slogans, he'll opt for cow pies.

If he accepts this challenge, I'm there. Metman or no metman.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    Will the "Atom Heart Mother" suite be viewed, & accepted, as classical music?
    Let's hope not

Quote Originally Posted by 100423 View Post
    Are you trying to turn this into a "What is Classical?" thread?
    Music teacher: "Bill, Ted, do you even have any idea what classical music is?"
    Bill: "Anything written before 1978?"

Quote Originally Posted by cannygoodlike View Post
    I remember trying to explain to someone that the Star Wars soundtrack was not classical music.
    My friend tried to explain it to me as well, and he was at a loss for words.

So, what is the short version?

I assume "Thus Spoke Zarathustra" in 2001: A Space Odyssey by Strauss also isn't classical?

If Jimmy Saville were still alive he could have made this happen.
    Still alive and well...

I heard some this new Quadrophenia album and it made me want to puke.

Quote Originally Posted by Harbottle View Post
    I heard some this new Quadrophenia album and it made me want to puke.
    "The Puke Vs. the Godfather"

The Who is one of my 2 favorite bands EVER, and imo Pete has as good a handle on what makes for great visceral rock n roll as anyone else, but I've always though of him as quite a wanker, based on both what's been reported over the years as well as "Who I Am", his autobiography (great read).

There does seem to be, however, based on others posts in this thread, a colossal amount of ever-changing parameters and subjectivity as to what is & what isn't "classical".
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post

Depends on whether the colloquial definition of the word 'classical' is being used, or the formal (the musical period between 1750-1820) one.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell