Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rank Your Top Five All-Time Italian Bands

Quote Originally Posted by Dedatolo View Post
    Being Italian, it's a strange feeling for me reading your comments and lists, loving Prog to death for over 40 years, and NOT liking any Italian prog band, ANY ! I find all of them derivative of the English ones...I love many, many Italian artists, but none of them is on these lists.
    I don't find this all too strange, really; I myself have a hard time truly enjoying most Norwegian attempts at 'progressive rock' from the 70s, partly due to the same reasons as yourself, I suppose. I do collect 70s Italian progressive still, probably because it remains somewhat easier for non-natives to spot exactly those elements that actually make them stand out as pretty different from their British counterparts/inspirations. For instance, in my own top-5 list from above, there are the obvious odd marks of influence on both AreA, Picchio dal Pozzo and Stormy Six and Jumbo (or you could add the early Battiato albums, Opus Avantra, Celeste or Pierrot Lunaire's Gudrun), but they all developed into something quite idiosyncratic.

This doesn't necessarily imply that I don't like the more "usual" Italian progressive (or "symphonic") rock groups (Banco, PFM, Le Orme, Locanda delle Fate, Metamorfosi, Museo Rosenbach etc.) as well, but I relate somewhat differently to them. Jethro Tull, King Crimson and Van der Graaf Generator were very big names in Italy in 1971-73, but I see the Italian equivalent as much more of an interpretation than an adaptation. So I can live with the sense of "derivative" nature of much of this music - much more so than I can with many a CURRENT artist purportedly creating 'progressive rock' while actually not creating anything whatsoever except for further more stagnant adaptations.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Stormy Six
    Area
    Le Orme
    Banco
    Maxophone
    Alphataurus
    Seriously? I was expecting better from you.

Quote Originally Posted by Calabasas_Trafalgar View Post
    I was expecting better from you.
    Of course you were. And "better" is never relative.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Something like this??

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Perigeo
    Quella Vieccha Locanda
    Picchio Dal Pozzo
    Jumbo
    Flea/Etna

Bubbling just under:
    Area
    Garibaldy

newer bands:
    DFA
    DEM
    I mean, I don't recall seeing your top five (yet)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Something like this??
    Yes, Calabasas really loves Alberto Piras in DEM.

I just wondered what opinions people have of Metamorfosi, I think one person mentioned them.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Quote Originally Posted by mellotron storm View Post
    I just wondered what opinions people have of Metamorfosi, I think one person mentioned them.
    I'm the guilty one, I believe. I like them, but I'm not too crazy about Spitaleri's bombastic and sometimes contrived vocal antics and I see Inferno as a bit overrated. It's a great listen once in a while, though - and their debut wasn't all too bad either. I still find more to dig with a couple of the other keys-based RPIs, like Banco, Latte e Miele, Trip (Caronte espec) or Triade, yet I far prefer Metamorfosi to L'Uovo di Colombo or Capsicum Red or that tedious Alluminogeni record.

Something like this??

I mean, I don't recall seeing your top five (yet)
    No, nothing at all like that I couldn't cut it to just 5

Il Balletto di Bronzo
    Semeramis
    Cervello
    Museo Rosenbach
    Biglietto per l'Inferno
    Murple
    Blocco Mentale
    Jumbo
    Le Orme
    Salis

havent had time to put together a list of newer bands but these would definitely be on it:

Distillerie Di Malto
    Runaway Totem

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I'm not too crazy about Spitaleri's bombastic and sometimes contrived vocal antics
    He's 19 X better than Alvaro Fella

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I'm the guilty one, I believe. I like them, but I'm not too crazy about Spitaleri's bombastic and sometimes contrived vocal antics and I see Inferno as a bit overrated. It's a great listen once in a while, though - and their debut wasn't all too bad either. I still find more to dig with a couple of the other keys-based RPIs, like Banco, Latte e Miele, Trip (Caronte espec) or Triade, yet I far prefer Metamorfosi to L'Uovo di Colombo or Capsicum Red or that tedious Alluminogeni record.
    No someone had it on their list of favs but I always appreciate your opinions. Love that his name is Jimmy, and i'm sure he sings on a modern RPI album but maybe it's the most recent Metamorfosi album i'm thinking of that didn't do a lot for me. I do like Inferno though with the array of keyboards but it's not a favourite by am means.
    Listening to De De Lind right now and talk about a raw sounding "rock" album. Man I feel an RPI binge coming on.
    You know who's vocals I have a lot of time for is the Procession singer, Gianfranco I think his name was.
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post
    He's 19 X better than Alvaro Fella

BG
    Not a big fan of the Jumbo dude? Man there are some wild vocals in Italy i'll say that, and some drop dead gorgeous ones too.
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

As for today.

Il Volo Essere O Non Essere
    Area Crac!
    Banco del Mutuo Soccorso Io Sono Nato Libero
    Franco Battiato Sulle Corde di Aries
    Osanna Palepoli

Can be replaced by Cervello, Jumbo : Vietato..., Alan Sorrenti : Aria,
    Saint Just, Carnascialia, Balleto : "YS", PFM and so on...

Quote Originally Posted by mellotron storm View Post
    Not a big fan of the Jumbo dude? Man there are some wild vocals in Italy i'll say that, and some drop dead gorgeous ones too.
    Nah, just a little inside joke for SS

That said, I caught Spitaleri''s act at Nearfest and loved the schtick

I find Inferno a tad over rated as well, it's good but a cut below my favorite RPI

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

- Area
    - Banco del mutuo soccorso
    - PFM ('til 1975)
    - Biglietto per l'inferno
    - Area again
    http://www.marcozanetti.it

Triste è l'uomo
    che ama le cose
    solo quando si allontanano.
    (Baolian, libro dei pensieri Baol, I, vv. 1240-1242)

No, nothing at all like that I couldn't cut it to just 5

Il Balletto di Bronzo
    Semeramis
    Cervello
    Museo Rosenbach
    Biglietto per l'Inferno
    Murple
    Blocco Mentale
    Jumbo
    Le Orme
    Salis

havent had time to put together a list of newer bands but these would definitely be on it:

Distillerie Di Malto
    Runaway Totem
    I was expecting better from you

Just kidding...

.... except for Runaway Totem, which I really find subpar '(except for maybe their second Zed)... Their offshoot Univeral Totem Orchestra is so much better
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I'll stand by it; I dig the vibe, whatever the shortcomings. While Murple is worthy ("better"?), the vaunted YS is just OK, imo.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

This thread inspired me to purchase some more Italian prog (I only had about 4 discs up to now). I got: Osanna - Palepoli, Banco - Darwin! and PFM - Photos of Ghosts. Did I make a mistake in getting the english version of the PFM disc???

Quote Originally Posted by Akustika View Post
    Did I make a mistake in getting the english version of the PFM disc???
    Yes, but it's not the end of the world.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

This thread inspired me to purchase some more Italian prog (I only had about 4 discs up to now). I got: Osanna - Palepoli, Banco - Darwin! and PFM - Photos of Ghosts. Did I make a mistake in getting the english version of the PFM disc???
    Yes. It's still worth owning, imo.

Though what you have is the complete English version of "Per un Amico", plus the English version of 'Festa' (Celebration) off of their first Italian album, and a composition (Old Rain) that is only found on Photos of Ghosts.

This was the first PFM album I bought, way back when. Once I got Per Un Amico I enjoyed that one more. YMMV

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post
    Nah, just a little inside joke for SS

That said, I caught Spitaleri''s act at Nearfest and loved the schtick

I find Inferno a tad over rated as well, it's good but a cut below my favorite RPI

BG
    Chalk(pie) me up as another, well, non-fan of "Inferno". Its certainly not terrible, just, I don't know - gawdy? Is that possible in 70's RPI? I know its apples and oranges, but its hard to spin "Inferno" after doing stuff like "Melos", "Picchio Dal Pozzo", etc.......well for me at least. Also not a fan of "Felona". I love a lot of their other stuff, though.

chalkpie
    The hardcore PFM fan would say no, but for the rest of us - I'd say yeah probably. Rule of thumb - stay local with Italian music and bask in the beauty of the Italian language, not broken English with sometimes questionable translations. The first three PFM's are the ones you want (all in Italian), at least initially. The first two are some of the best Italian albums ever to my ears. Two utter gems. Palepoli is incredible but takes TIME - don't expect to get it right away, and Darwin! is a classic - super great. Enjoy.

chalkpie

Based on my current knowledge:

1. Opus Avantra
    2. AreA

3. Arti & Mestieri/Venegoni & Co
    4. Banco
    5. PFM

No interest in getting personal, but we like what we like and believe what we believe

To each his own

As to Jumbo, I've had those discs since the early 90's, and every year or so they'll get brought up here and I'll revisit

I did so with Vietato Ai Minori Di 18 Anni last night, but it's pretty much as my past attempts

Plenty of dissonance and a few very strong passages, but a tad short on melodies, and I definitely find Fella grating, (surprising, as I enjoy Stratos, for example)

We all have bands / discs we can't connect with that others do, this is one for me

Not at all "bad" but second tier for me personally

BG

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Also not a fan of "Felona". I love a lot of their other stuff, though.
    I hate to harp on over rated, but this is a fair call

Seems to be generally regarded as their best, and certainly has some moments, but I prefer Contrapunti and Collage

Have you heard the English sung version with Hammil's lyrics?

This one translated pretty poorly IMO

BG