Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: YES to tour DRAMA in 2016…

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    Prog is generally known as a genre that sports some of the most godawful vocals in rock outside of "cookie monster" metal so being the best of the genre isn't necessarily an outstanding achievement. I think Lake basically shot his entire wad on that first Crimson album and it was all just downhill for him thereafter. He's pretty much to singing what William Shatner is to acting and I find ELP largely insufferable. I think Wetton is a fairly ordinary and inoffensive singer who was propped up by amazing music during his Crimson years. But my taste in singers runs towards eccentrics and larger than life distinctive type personalities where Lake and Wetton both just kinda have this "heroic white guy" thing going. That's part of why the only non-Anderson Yes lead vocalist who holds much appeal for me is Horn.
    I don't need no generalization about prog. Everyone who does it will all ways come up woefully short. Prog isn't just about 70 's big names, even Mojo knows that. Prog isn't just about the vocals like pop.

District 97 has an American Idol competitor that performed something too jazzy.

Bio: District 97 is the only Progressive Rock band in the world to feature an American Idol finalist and a Chicago Symphony Orchestra virtuoso cellist.

I mean, isn't a big part of why Yes packed arenas while Crimson labored in relative obscurity the fact that Yes had a distinctive and instantly recognizable lead vocalist along with songwriting that had more of a pop and folk influence?
    No not really, it didn't work for Gabe era Genesis.who you could argue had the same ingredients you mention that Yes had, except the virtuosity!

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    I don't need no generalization about prog. Everyone who does it will all ways come up woefully short. Prog isn't just about 70 's big names, even Mojo knows that. Prog isn't just about the vocals like pop.

District 97 has an American Idol competitor that performed something too jazzy.

Bio: District 97 is the only Progressive Rock band in the world to feature an American Idol finalist and a Chicago Symphony Orchestra virtuoso cellist.
    To tell ya the truth that song sounds like Dream Theater went and arranged a Disney Channel sitcom theme to me.

I mean, isn't a big part of why Yes packed arenas while Crimson labored in relative obscurity the fact that Yes had a distinctive and instantly recognizable lead vocalist along with songwriting that had more of a pop and folk influence?
    I think it's because Yes' music was considerably more accessible.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

That's always been a constant in Yes from the debut album in '69 right through to Heaven & Earth, there are hooks. Even in the longest most ponderous pieces of Yes music they never forget to have a really good hook. Genesis was good at it too but Yes was even better. It's one of things that I really liked about H & E, there were hooks galore.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Quote Originally Posted by Adm.Kirk View Post
    That's always been a constant in Yes from the debut album in '69 right through to Heaven & Earth, there are hooks. Even in the longest most ponderous pieces of Yes music they never forget to have a really good hook.
    Exactly. Case in point: Tales From Topographic Oceans. I remember originally being somewhat scared at the prospect of these 4 album-length songs. But sure enough, just a few minutes into side 1 there's that gorgeous hook in the "What happened..." lyric and I knew this was going to be just another Yes song. Only 22 minutes long.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Yup, the songs within the songs

45's, intertwined with dissonance, recurring, ebb and flo, (but no Eddie)

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

I guess this line-up should have toured with Drama exclusively from the very beginning, and nothing else. They are perfect for this album.