Thread: Like this never happens at a prog show

Like this never happens at a prog show

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    That is everybody in this forum, including me lol
    Last edited by Rune Blackwings; 06-07-2015 at 10:17 AM. Reason: I am recreating famous Kinkade works using couscous...
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

The few momentous ones I can remember:

1st time I heard:
    Floyd's Dark Side - 1973, school classroom for music class, we had a very hippy, creative music teacher.
    Cardiacs' OLAITS - 1989, in an old cottage in Old Coulsdon, Surrey.
    Neil's Harvest - 1978, in an Italian hippy commune flat in Ladbroke Grove, with my Italian girlfriend of the day.

Espíritu: Crisálida; having sex in the house of a friend of a friend. We wound up in a laundromat on Market St. washing the sheets.

Most of the rest: at home on my record player.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

ELP - Jerusalem, Karn Evil 9
    In English class

Nektar - A tab in the ocean
    On my birthday party

Yes - Fragile
    My older brother's dorm room at Marquette University in Milwaukee. His roommate was a huge fan and from that day on so was I.
    The Prog Corner

PF - Meddle: 1971, In my friend Bob's big brothers room stoned. Kept repeating over and over, 'I've never heard anything like this!'

King Crimson - Court: 1971, Also at Bob's house. Blown away.

ELP - Tarkus: 1972, In Bob's room, sun coming up after an all night acid trip. The synth melody and feel in 'Battlefield' always had a special feel for me ever since.

Mr. Sirius - Barren Dream: 2012, driving in my car. No longer getting stoned, but still blown away by musical greatness.

Yes - Relayer. At a party at a friend's house. Someone had just bought the album. All of the guys (musicians) gathered 'round the stereo with their jaws on the floor while all the girlfriends cowered in the kitchen.

I think all the rest of the albums were at home in my room.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Most of the rest: at home on my record player.
    Yup, 95% were either at my friends' bedrooms (where their hi-fis were) or my own bedroom (where was my hi-fi)

Espíritu: Crisálida; having sex in the house of a friend of a friend. We wound up in a laundromat on Market St. washing the sheets.
    Using rubbers might have solved that situation

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    ELP - Jerusalem, Karn Evil 9
    In English class

mmmhhhh!!!... I was fully aware of The Beatles' music, but our English teacher usecd the lyrics to teach us the language (or at least interest us enough to lear it)

So I'd say that the first time I really heard Sergent Pepper, Let It Be and Abbey Road was in my English class
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    mmmhhhh!!!... I was fully aware of The Beatles' music, but our English teacher usecd the lyrics to teach us the language (or at least interest us enough to lear it)

So I'd say that the first time I really heard Sergent Pepper, Let It Be and Abbey Road was in my English class
    Our teacher used the lyrics of the said ELP tracks for the same.

I heard Jesus Christ Superstar also at school.

I couldn't find the clip, nor a quote even, but in the spirit of this thread I thought I'd add this from Freaks And Geeks. It's a scene that hits hard for me as I can totally understand the emotions behind it.

The American Beauty, that is a great album, man

Oh, yeah, that's what I've heard.

Are you a Deadhead?

Um, no, um, someone just gave it to me to listen to.

Oh, well, if you have never heard it before you are in for a treat because it's like the best album of all time

Really?

Oh, Yeah.

Is it that great?

I wish I'd never heard it just so I could hear it again for the first time.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000