Thread: Streaming online content to TV?

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)

Streaming online content to TV?

How would one do this? Via a Roku? Do you then need RoConnect? Via Chromestick/Chromecast? BTW my desktop is connected via ethernet, not wireless. Would this matter?

Really want to watch the streaming Steven Wilson show 6/17/15 on the TV!

Thanks!

There are other options as well, like a Playstation if you already have one.

No game consoles in this house...

A few weeks ago I bought a Chromecast (on sale at Staples for $25). We've mostly used it for Hulu and Netflix, but it seems to work well for YouTube as well. I just tried streaming from my computer (I used Chrome as my browser and installed the Google Cast extension). I was able to stream a Facebook video to my TV. When I went to the HD setting the video was a bit choppy, but I believe that was more a function of my computer's performance.

(a couple minutes later)

Okay, I just streamed from Vimeo and that looked great, so Chromecast might provide a good, cheap solution.

Good luck, Rick!
    <sig out of order>

I'll give that a try Guy, thanks...I'll let you know how I'm doing. I do use Chrome as my browser, and my desktop's fairly new.

I have the Amazon Fire Stick, my brother has Google Chromecast. Both are cheap and do very cool things, but we both agreed that the Fire Stick gets the edge.

That said, I'm pretty sure that both will do what you're looking for, among many other things.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    How would one do this? Via a Roku? Do you then need RoConnect? Via Chromestick/Chromecast? BTW my desktop is connected via ethernet, not wireless. Would this matter? Really want to watch the streaming Steven Wilson show 6/17/15 on the TV!
    If you are referring to the yahoo365 live-stream promotion, that occurs on Saturday night 6/13. Yahoo will have it available for 24 hours.
    The below link has a 5 minute promo of him in the studio.

Steven Wilson Jun 13, 2015, 11:00 p.m. ET The Wiltern, Los Angeles, CA

https://screen.yahoo.com/live/event/steven-wilson

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I have the Amazon Fire Stick, my brother has Google Chromecast. Both are cheap and do very cool things, but we both agreed that the Fire Stick gets the edge.

That said, I'm pretty sure that both will do what you're looking for, among many other things.
    The Fire Stick looks pretty cool. I like the dedicated remote (I have to use my phone for the Chromecast). It's not clear to me whether you can stream anything from your computer though.
    <sig out of order>

If you do not mind wires I simply ran a HDMI cable from my desktop to my TV's HDMI port, use my wireless keyboard and wireless mouse and now have a 52 inch high def screen connected to my stereo for ultimate sound. I know it is kind of ghetto but it works! And works well.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    The Fire Stick looks pretty cool. I like the dedicated remote (I have to use my phone for the Chromecast). It's not clear to me whether you can stream anything from your computer though.
    I know that you can stream downloaded content via the Plex app - which is pretty cool, in its own right. Not sure about things like the Steven Wilson Yahoo stream. I haven't tried that sort of thing. I know that there's an app (forget the name - sorry. Maybe "All Connect?") where you can basically "beam" whatever you're streaming on your phone to your TV.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by HONDO View Post
    If you do not mind wires I simply ran a HDMI cable from my desktop to my TV's HDMI port, use my wireless keyboard and wireless mouse and now have a 52 inch high def screen connected to my stereo for ultimate sound. I know it is kind of ghetto but it works! And works well.
    I've done this, too, and it works perfectly. It might be ghetto, but if it's just me, or me and my GF, who cares?

Last edited by davis; 06-12-2015 at 03:12 PM.