Thread: ELP 8-11-1974 Charlotte Motor Speedway (August Jam)

ELP 8-11-1974 Charlotte Motor Speedway (August Jam)

http://retroclt.blogspot.com/2014/08...-jam-1974.html

I should have thought about posting this last year (40th anniversary). My mother saved the Concord Tribune newspaper coverage...even though front page coverage, photos, etc and NOT ONCE is ELP mentioned(!).

Anyway, the link above has some interesting memories from those in attendance and photos. I'm curious - did PFM play this date as well?

I was 4 1/2 years old at the time....

Peter

Great bit of history, thanks for the link!

One concert-goer said 'Everybody's high on something. It could be drugs, booze, sex music or the happening, but everybody's high.'

No, it was booze or drugs......

$12 in 1974 = $58 now, still a bargain, I'd say. It would probably be $100 + now.

Who is the band Fogg Hat? Also, anyone know who the & others might have been?

There's a bootleg of ELP's set that circulates, the only copy I have fades out during Aquatarkus unfortunately.
    ...or you could love

Quote Originally Posted by Proglodite View Post
    I'm curious - did PFM play this date as well?
    PFM did play. This guy has photos from the Jam, including ELP, and mentions that he has found some negatives of PFM but those aren't posted yet. He also links to a news report on the anniversary of the festival, which includes a split-second clip of ELP.

I think the clip in the news report is actually a split second of Emo from Cal Jam. Very interesting site though. Carl doesn't look like Carl.

The Enemy God
    Carl has his version one perm in that picture which he didn't have at Cal. Jam so think that is a library pic from very similar time. Version 2 perm or 'Demi wave' as it was called then was of course Love Beach.

That must have been a strange scene for ELP...and PFM. It's a shame that the Eagles bailed...hell of a lineup.

Interesting lineup. Prog meets southern rock.

The Marshall Tucker Band - yay!

Black Oak Arkansas - nay

'Youths wait for concert to begin.'

Those "youths" look more like they "smoked too much wacky tobaccy and crashed."
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire