Thread: This Oceanic Feeling - new band

This Oceanic Feeling - new band

Just saw this news blurb via Twitter from ProgRock. This Oceanic Feeling to release debut cd July 17th. The band consists of Chris Braide (The Producers DBA), Lee Pomeroy (It Bites, Steve Hackett) and Ash Soan (The Producers). Music described as Police meets 90125 era Yes. Braide called it "new wave pop wearing rock trousers and prog sandals." Available on Cherry Red. Very curious to hear camples.

Old man of prog
    Can't wait.

Indeed, loved the Producers CD.

30 second camples up at Amazon UK. Through my crappy computer, I mainly hear vocals and drums with some keys. More similar to DBA than Producers to these ears.

Sounds a bit like Genesis/Mike and the Mechanics to me. I mean that in a good way.

https://www.burningshed.com/store/pr...oduct/99/6670/

(Cherry Red's site seems to be down at the moment).

Sounds interesting. I'm in.

Quote Originally Posted by dregsfan View Post
    More similar to DBA than Producers to these ears.
    I always thought that the two of them sound similar to each other.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

This album is now available on iTunes. Bought it today and I thought it was really quite good. More pop rock than prog, but there are absolutely some proggy moments. Sits nicely with the DBA and Producers albums and I can understand some of the 90125 comparisons on a few of the songs. I really like a good pop prog album and I think this one is going to be getting quite a few spins.

Pleasant pop. Lots of Yamaha CS-70 (I think that's the one) that was prevalent in the late 70s and early 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by dregsfan View Post
    Pleasant pop. Lots of Yamaha CS-70 (I think that's the one) that was prevalent in the late 70s and early 80s.
    The video version is 2 minutes shorter than the album version. The longer version gets a bit more adventurous towards the end.

Not a lot of talk about this album on here, but in my opinion, it deserves a bump. This album has really grown on me. No, it isn't a full blown prog album, but it IS a really smart, well done pop/prog album. This is one of those albums that I think if more people, even outside of the prog community, had an opportunity to hear it, they would really enjoy it. It's a really good album that reaps additional rewards with each listen.

I'm waiting for U.S. physical release later this month.

So thought I'd paste into this thread as I wasn't paying attention and started another.

Being one of those people who buy most Yes related releases I got a copy of "The Producers" when it came out a couple of years ago and thoroughly enjoy listening to it. I enjoyed the two DBA releases as well and I've been listening to the new album by This Oceanic Feeling after reading a little review in Prog magazine. I obviously wasn't paying close enough attention as I now realise that I've become a Chris Braide fan by stealth. All those releases are of a certain style and sound essentially like the same band with Chris Braide being the common factor . Not quite prog-pop, probaly listed as "crossover" in Prog Archives. Similar to the kind of stuff that received rave reviews for Sound of Contact on Dimensionaut. I would say one of the best new albums I've listened to this year so far.

I'll have to check this out, too. I love the Producers album and also the two DBA releases, Chris Braide is certainly a talented guy. "Hello Leo" is also a fun release, kind of a Buggles tribute.
    Thanks for posting, I would have missed this otherwise!

(btw: If the tittle of this thread contained the name "Chris Braide" a few more people would click it. There are tons of "new bands" and many threads advertising a "new band" are more or less spam)

I've listened to this once so far and I'm a bit underwhelmed. It's not too diffenernt from Chris Braide's recent solo output or DBA. I may like it more after a few more spins. Anyway, IMO there's not enough guitar on this record.