Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Music at the Gym...

Music at the Gym...

So, I left my old gym due to cost and convenience issues and joined a new gym. My old gym played horrible R&B-ish, dance music. This gym plays nothing but EDM music. The other day, I forgot my Mp3 player and was stuck listening to the gym music. I've got to say, this EDM music is pretty damn good, Even though 99.99% of the rhythm is programmed drums & Bass, much of it has some SEERING synth soloing going on. (probably not real Minimoog's, most-likely VST plug-ins) but the patches are very "Moogish" in their tones and the melody lines are insane.

I was very impressed.

Guess I'll have to explore this genre. I know nothing about it but I KNOW it's worth exploring to some degree.

Any thoughts ????

"Exercise music" isn't really music you know. It's good for exercising to though.

Suspended
    I have given up complaining to my gym about the radio station to which they choose to tune the PA. On one occasion, instead of the radio, they had a programmed set of those awful "songs" they tend to play at many dance venues now - bass and little else. Compared to that, the teenybopper radio station was like a breath of fresh air.

Most of the time I try to tune out from what's being played, but I will NOT wear headphones just to stop hearing what's being broadcast; I don't believe I should have to.

I'm not really sure what EDM is. I mean, I know what EDM stands for, but I don't know whether it means electronic dance music in general, or refers to a particular style.

EDM is exercise music -- you know, steady booming beat and little else. When you're sweatin' it up that's all you want.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post

Most of the time I try to tune out from what's being played, but I will NOT wear headphones just to stop hearing what's being broadcast; I don't believe I should have to.
    That's kinda silly, IMO.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I don't have an ipod or mp3 player to take to the gym with me. I supposed I need to get one for when I start going on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    I don't have an ipod or mp3 player to take to the gym with me. I supposed I need to get one for when I start going on a regular basis.
    IMO, it's equipment as essential as a good pair of sneakers.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

^ that's something else I dont have; "good sneakers'. my sneakers are holding up pretty well for being a couple of years old. I do need a new pair regardless. I'll get me some cardboard, write a left-handed msg on it and go hang out at the interstate exit.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    That's kinda silly, IMO.
    ... and yet you don't think it's silly that people are expected to wear headphones specifically to exclude the ambient music, which is supposedly being played for their benefit? That's what I call silly.

... and yet you don't think it's silly that people are expected to wear headphones specifically to exclude the ambient music, which is supposedly being played for their benefit? That's what I call silly.
    They give you free music. If you don't care for it, or don't want to hear it, you can bring your own or block it out. What's silly about that?

Suspended
    They give you free music. If you don't care for it, or don't want to hear it, you can bring your own or block it out. What's silly about that?
    OK. Clearly we have very different mindsets.

Quite often I read about people on this forum liking things or doing things that I consider silly, but I generally refrain from saying so. I don't mind that you disagree with me, I just think you could have chosen your words better.

OK. Clearly we have very different mindsets.

Quite often I read about people on this forum liking things or doing things that I consider silly, but I generally refrain from saying so. I don't mind that you disagree with me, I just think you could have chosen your words better.
    I meant no offense, and wasn't trying to attack you personally - just this one issue.

Peace.

wow...this thread got derailed pretty fast.

So, I'll ask again...does anyone have any insight to some of the cool players in this genre?

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post

So, I'll ask again...does anyone have any insight to some of the cool players in this genre?
    You might like this, this guy has heard "Lucky Man" a few times (starting around 2:40)...

I'm not generally big on this stuff so I don't know how many artists that use the synth soloing you're speaking of. I was big on IDM ("Intelligent Dance Music") about 10-15 years ago; I always assumed the term EDM was a middle finger to the term IDM. I remember non-IDM electronic artists saying things like: "So what, we make stupid dance music?"
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

And the answer to that generally is, "Well, yes."

Welcome To The Rowing Machine
    Stairmaster of Puppets
    Cross-trainer Traffic
    Six Wives of Henry the Weights
    Larks Tongues in Ass-Pecs

I mostly listen to hyper-prog (everything between Art Zoyd and Ahleuchatistas or XhohX ) or Czech 70s jazz-rock (such as Mahagon) when working out. Of course, I have to do this at home.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Suspended
    Elvis Costello - Pump it Up
    The Kinks - Too Hot
    Olivia N-J - Physical
    Inner Circle - Sweat
    The Beatles - Carry That Weight

My gym, Northwest Fitness Zone is a great gym, but plays the absolutely least appropriate gym music imaginable. I don't normally feel strongly about stuff like this, but I detest the radio station, which is 92.5 in Seattle, the worst station ever. They rotate the same 5 or 6 songs so that every single time I'm there I have to hear the same Ed Sheeran song that is absolutely awful. All the other songs they play are nearly as bad, slow songs that would embarrass Britney Spears. Half the time is spent listening to awful djs make prank phone calls, (at 7 am?) that are obviously not prank as swear words are continually being blipped out. We can't hear anything they are saying but that incessant beeping is driving everyone batty. They assure us they are getting satellite in, as they are getting complaints, but any other station in the mean time would be better.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    First world problems. You get no exercise at your sedentary job, so you drive to a gym where you can exercise with other people who can afford a gym membership. Then you complain about the music the gym plays.

"Hey lawdy mama,
    Can't afford no shoes.
    Maybe there's a bundle
    Of rags that I could use.
    Hey anybody,
    Can you spare a dime?
    If you're really hurtin'
    A nickel would be fine.
    Hey everybody,
    Nothin' we can buy.
    Chump hari rama,
    Ain't no good to try.
    Recession.
    Depression." - Frank Zappa
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    First world problems. You get no exercise at your sedentary job, so you drive to a gym where you can exercise with other people who can afford a gym membership. Then you complain about the music the gym plays.

"Hey lawdy mama,
    Can't afford no shoes.
    Maybe there's a bundle
    Of rags that I could use.
    Hey anybody,
    Can you spare a dime?
    If you're really hurtin'
    A nickel would be fine.
    Hey everybody,
    Nothin' we can buy.
    Chump hari rama,
    Ain't no good to try.
    Recession.
    Depression." - Frank Zappa
    Meh. Planet Fitness is $10/month.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    My gym, Northwest Fitness Zone is a great gym, but plays the absolutely least appropriate gym music imaginable. I don't normally feel strongly about stuff like this, but I detest the radio station, which is 92.5 in Seattle, the worst station ever.
    Amazing. The worst station in Perth is also 92.5! Must be run by the same people.

92.5 here is the local country station.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    They give you free music.
    inflict
    synonyms: impose, force, thrust, foist;

Amazing. The worst station in Perth is also 92.5! Must be run by the same people.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    inflict
    synonyms: impose, force, thrust, foist;
    Yep

Thankfully the music at work is great, where I spend 40 hours a week. I have learned of many great newer indie and progressive indie bands from work-on the regular playlist is actually a song called 'There and Then' by Life on Earth! (exclamation point theirs) that is a swedish prog band-offshoot of 'Dungen'. Also on their regular playlist is XTC, Yes, Fleet Foxes, Tears For Fears, Psychedelic Furs etc...