Thread: Soft Machine-Architects of Space Time 1&2

Soft Machine-Architects of Space Time 1&2

Hi all, first post, and a recently new fan of Soft Machine. Anyway, here goes:

Soft Machine "Architects Of Space Time" is a twofer released around 1976, of their first 2 albums, but most of you probably know that already. This version on ATCO http://www.discogs.com/Soft-Machine-...elease/6536668 (click record sleeve), and this version on Atlantic http://www.discogs.com/Soft-Machine-...elease/1477013 (click record sleeve). There is another version on Probe with a different sleeve.

So here's the thing. I picked it up 2nd hand in Amsterdam at the weekend, and I did notice before buying but bought anyway, that disc 1 sides A&B has the ATCO label, disc 2 sides C&D has the Atlantic label. It's like this one here http://veiling.catawiki.nl/kavels/12...atefold-france All tracks are there in the correct order.

So is this something that got mixed up over the years, someone put the wrong disc in the wrong sleeve, or did it come from the plant this way?? I know there is no way of knowing for sure, just want peoples opinion.

ATCO and Atlantic are different imprints of the same label, ATCO = Atlantic Co.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    ATCO and Atlantic are different imprints of the same label, ATCO = Atlantic Co.
    Thanks, I kinda thought along those lines. But I guess I'm wondering why you can get it with just the Atlantic labels and just the ATCO labels, and it appears also with one of each. I just thought it a bit odd to have one disc ATCO and the other Atlantic.

Discogs shows the ATCO version as German and the Atlantic version as French, both with the same catalog number. Are both discs in your copy made in the same country?

When Atlantic first started out it was blues and jazz only. Any pop music they wanted to put out was given the ATCO label (kinda like Warner Bros and their Reprise imprint). As time went on and categories blurred the distinction was eventually lost. I'm sure at some point early Soft Machine leftover LPs were packaged with later Soft Machine LPs into a 2-LP set and it wasn't deemed worthwhile to paste new labels over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Discogs shows the ATCO version as German and the Atlantic version as French, both with the same catalog number. Are both discs in your copy made in the same country?
    Both German, pretty sure, will double check.

Thanks.

I have this but not sure which edition could it be Dutch ?

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    I have this but not sure which edition could it be Dutch ?
    Nothing on it indicates it was specifically for the Dutch market. But maybe that's the case, the third link I posted seems to be of a dutch seller with the same edition.

Nothing to add on the question in hand, though of course I absolutely love Soft Machine Volumes I and II. Just wondered about "Mr Malcontent", a Lloyd Cole fan perchance? He never gets a mention here, as clearly not remotely of the prog, but I really love Rattlesnakes and have enjoyed quite a few Commotions and solo releases over the years.

I will check mine
    If memory serves right mine is also in the wrong order...

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    Nothing to add on the question in hand, though of course I absolutely love Soft Machine Volumes I and II. Just wondered about "Mr Malcontent", a Lloyd Cole fan perchance? He never gets a mention here, as clearly not remotely of the prog, but I really love Rattlesnakes and have enjoyed quite a few Commotions and solo releases over the years.
    Yep, spot on. Loved Lloyd Cole & The Commotions back in the day. Mr Malcontent taken from his album "Mainstream". Not a greatly received album, but I like it.

Just to update, checked this out, and mine is the German version, both discs. Important thing is, it's in good condition and the music sounds great. Thanks all for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Malcontent View Post
    Yep, spot on. Loved Lloyd Cole & The Commotions back in the day. Mr Malcontent taken from his album "Mainstream". Not a greatly received album, but I like it.
    I think it's a really good album, I still have my vinyl copy of Mainstream bought the day it came out.

I actually saw Lloyd Cole perform at a festival a few years ago, he had his son with him on guitar, he looked just like a young Lloyd. He played quite a few from the old days and a smattering on newer tunes, and was a real trip down memory lane.