Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Prog Drummers , Rhythm Magazine UK

The Enemy God

Prog Drummers , Rhythm Magazine UK

The 30th anniversary edition if Rhythm magazine is out in the UK. There is a good feature on the history of Prog Drumming with contributions from Bill Bruford, Alan White, Carl Palmer, Jon Hiseman, Phil Collins and Neil Peart.

So that's a good spread. But it got me thinking what would ELP have sounded like with Bruford, and what would Palmer have worked in Yes.

Palmer could have been in Yes... probably would have made some pretty cool mutations to the songs with his style. Bruford going in ELP... maybe not. Too much angularity? Hell... could be awesome too.

Would have loved to hear Phil Collins in BOTH those bands.....

As is well known, Emerson & Lake first approached Mitch "Wigged Out" Mitchell for the drum slot. I don't think Bruford would have worked, Emerson was looking for an "orchestral" player, Bruford was too much of a straightforward jazz-influenced player at the time. Yes, Palmer was a jazz guy too, but he ended up being perfect for the job. Jon Hiseman might have worked too.

Yes made a good choice with Alan White, I just wish his drums didn't sound so poor on Tales from Topographic Oceans and so buried in the mix on Relayer.

It's amazing to me how willing bands were in those days to kick people out at the drop of a hat or poach someone from another band.
    ...or you could love

Bruford worked with Wakeman, Moraz, Jobson, Tony Banks, Dave Stewart, and, of course, Fripp/KC.

I think he would have done fine with ELP, especially early ELP. Maybe not KE9, but, OTOH he handled CttE, so ...

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    Too much angularity?
    Unlike the angularity of "Eruption" or "Toccata"?

They all would have been lousy in Gentle Giant.

^

“I think Selling England By The Pound is an enduring masterpiece of drumming. Beautiful drumming, lovely sound, and the arrangements, I think they really nailed the best of what that band as an entity could have done with that album” – Neil Peart on Phil Collins

couldn't agree more with Mr. Peart here!

chalkpie
    Prog drummers suck. Yamaha drum machines from 1984 are where its at.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Scherze View Post
    Unlike the angularity of "Eruption" or "Toccata"?
    Well... I think we all know what that means... the man loved to slice up time with those rim shot snare notes and usually something landing on a 1/4 or 1/2 or who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by undergroundrailroad View Post
    They all would have been lousy in Gentle Giant.
    I actually think Bruford is kinda pissy already with National Health, but that's just me.

Wyatt, Vander, Aaltonen, Pyle, Vrolijk, Cutler, Moerlen, Chirico, Hayward, Denis, Chenevier. The 70s dudes.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Well... I think we all know what that means... the man loved to slice up time with those rim shot snare notes and usually something landing on a 1/4 or 1/2 or who knows.
    So, the 10/8 of "Eruption" is different from the 10/8 of "Larks Tongues, pt 2"?

Eruption = 4 + 3 + 3
    LT Pt 2 = 3 + 3 + 2 + 2

Different grooves entirely. Not to say BB couldn't have handled the former if asked.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

you can put time signatures up all day - but a different drummer will make the same time sound totally different. I'm not even going to argue on this...

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    Not to say BB couldn't have handled the former if asked.
    My original point.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    Eruption = 4 + 3 + 3
    LT Pt 2 = 3 + 3 + 2 + 2

Different grooves entirely.

Eruption = 2 + 2 + 3 + 3
    LT Pt 2 = 3 + 3 + 2 + 2

Virtually, the same.

I'm not even going to argue on this...
    Yes, you will. You paid for the full course.

Yes, you will. You paid for the full course.
    Ha.

Emerson & Yes

1. When Emerson kicked O'List out of the Nice, he auditioned Steve Howe as his replacement, but Howe decided to stay in Bodast.

2. I'm not sure about the timing of this. Emerson considered replacing Jackson; or, maybe it was when he decided to create a new band, that he approached Chris Squire. Squire declined, supposedly because he did not think that he would be a good lead vocalist.

3. When Wakeman left Yes, Brain Lane asked Emerson to replace him.

4. If Squire had joined Emerson, it's quite possible that he would have brought Bruford along, effectively gutting Yes at a time when they were on the bubble and probably killing the band.

ELB - Has a ring to it....
    "I want to be someone, who someone would want to be." Marillion

Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra View Post
    Would have loved to hear Phil Collins in BOTH those bands.....
    He would have ruined them just like Genesis.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

2. I'm not sure about the timing of this. Emerson considered replacing Jackson; or, maybe it was when he decided to create a new band, that he approached Chris Squire. Squire declined, supposedly because he did not think that he would be a good lead vocalist.
    It was to create a new band. He asked his manager, Tony-Stratton Smith, to put out a feeler to Jack Bruce. Bruce wanted complete control of the songwriting, so that was a no go. Squire declined because of the reason you state. Well, hello, Greg Lake!

3. When Wakeman left Yes, Brain Lane asked Emerson to replace him.
    Emerson thought they were joking, he turned them down of course. Yes and ELP were good buddies during the early 70's.

4. If Squire had joined Emerson, it's quite possible that he would have brought Bruford along, effectively gutting Yes at a time when they were on the bubble and probably killing the band.
    That's probably true.

Robert Fripp offered to join the new Emerson/Lake project, but Emerson declined.

My favorite alphabet soup would have been HELP. No, not the boring "Hendrix to join Keith Emerson's new band" thing, but Steve Howe.
    ...or you could love

Did Fripp really offer to join E and L way back when? That would have been interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Leibowitz View Post
    Did Fripp really offer to join E and L way back when? That would have been interesting.
    If they had Mangini they could have been FLEM.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Leibowitz View Post
    Fripp also said that Yes asked him to join them.

Here's another: John Wetton was in the pre-classic, transitional Renaissance.